Author Topic: I Want YOU to Create Some Jewelry and Flutes (or, well, instruments in general)!  (Read 11132 times)

manipura

Banjos almost certainly came from the African 'mbanza.' So it's not as inappropriate as you might think, but I'd prefer to see something closer to the mbanza than the modern banjo.

:) I just had a post written up explaining all that. 
Seems more legit coming from Beethoven though, instead of someone with a forest fairy avatar.  Heh.

Jihelu

Banjo seems more elvish/tribal to me for some reason.

Call it the tribal guitar.
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Beethoven

Well, I DID invent ragtime. ;)

Sorry, sorry, back on topic.

anvilsmith

If there is still time, I would like to make thematic jewelry that has the colors and emblems of the various noble and merchant houses. What is the staff's view on this?

BrokenRomance

Since there are several posts against banjos, I'm not going to specifically quote any, but consider this.

We have violins. Like, ingame. Do you really think violins are any more desert wasteland with killer forest material than a banjo? Personally I'd think the banjo fit even better.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Norcal

• Helper
Banjos almost certainly came from the African 'mbanza.' So it's not as inappropriate as you might think, but I'd prefer to see something closer to the mbanza than the modern banjo.

Actually I see traditional, hand made banjos all the time where I work, where they are often played. So they are still quite modern, even though they are not western. Some are banjo like, others are more like a kora. West Africans made them in America as well, when they were brought over. Banjos were easy to make as they are very low tech and can be made with about anything. They made a move from being a "tribal" instrument at that time, simply because Americans listened to them.

Are banjos really fitting to the setting?

We have guitars, violins and mandolins in game already. If a guitar is not inappropriate I hardly see why a crude banjo would be, seeing as they are much more low tech than a guitar.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:07:28 PM by Norcal »
I voted and staff let my c-elf ride skimmers and pilot a wagon.

Zenith

Has anyone sent in a mouth banjo? Is it possible to make those from non-metal materials?

Lizzie

Has anyone sent in a mouth banjo? Is it possible to make those from non-metal materials?

There's reference of them made with bamboo on wikipedia - to make one, it'd have to have some resonance when plucked. Flexible metal would be ideal but you could probably produce some kind of mouth-drum, where a round wooden frame has some kind of tough but paper-thin skin stretched tightly across it, and a tongue attached to a peg on one edge. Then when you press the frame over your mouth, and "pluck" the tongue, it'd bounce against the skin, and your lip movements would create the resonance. It wouldn't make the "sproing" sound that a jaw harp makes though. It'd be very definitely a percussion sound.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
There are/were mouth bows sold in the game.

Just because something is in the game doesn't mean it's fitting to the setting. We had katanas and sandwiches. I personally don't make bards that play guitars or violins, because I don't like seeing them perpetuated. But -- To each their own. That's just a personal preference and I shouldn't make it a habit to yuck someone else's yummy.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Reiloth

There's reference of them made with bamboo on wikipedia - to make one, it'd have to have some resonance when plucked. Flexible metal would be ideal but you could probably produce some kind of mouth-drum, where a round wooden frame has some kind of tough but paper-thin skin stretched tightly across it, and a tongue attached to a peg on one edge. Then when you press the frame over your mouth, and "pluck" the tongue, it'd bounce against the skin, and your lip movements would create the resonance. It wouldn't make the "sproing" sound that a jaw harp makes though. It'd be very definitely a percussion sound.

And while a non metal mouth bow or mouth banjo or mouth harp wouldn't make the same sound, mouth bows produce the same effect. It basically turns your mouth into the 'bowl' of an instrument, and you push air through with your breath, and the bow string (even of an actual hunting bow) makes the percussive 'wave' that moves around the air, producing the tone.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

BrokenRomance

There are/were mouth bows sold in the game.

Just because something is in the game doesn't mean it's fitting to the setting. We had katanas and sandwiches. I personally don't make bards that play guitars or violins, because I don't like seeing them perpetuated. But -- To each their own. That's just a personal preference and I shouldn't make it a habit to yuck someone else's yummy.

I am immensely curious what makes a sandwich unfeasible in Zalanthas, but it's not for this thread.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Reiloth

Yeah, we should probably just discuss elsewhere. This is Submissions, after all, not really the 'discussions' part of the board.

~Jack Vance~

gotdamnmiracle

As a person who lives in Japan, I'm surprised we don't have any samisen
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Reiloth

As a person who lives in Japan, I'm surprised we don't have any samisen

There are/were Biwas, which should make you happyish.

~Jack Vance~

manipura

After the onslaught of the first submissions, which stones are still underrepresented? 
I imagine there's a zillion lapis lazuli and sunstone options, but what stones are still needing some love?

Delirium

• Helper
Allllmost done. I got a little ambitious. I have a ton of necklaces and bracelets.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

you've seen more than they could ever know
no matter what they say, you've earned the right to be so bold

Cayuga

• Storyteller
I updated the OP. The only thing we've received a ton of submissions for has been lapis lazuli. Admittedly, however, it is a beautiful stone, so I understand the allure.

I added a couple of stones, and struck through the lapis for reference. Go, go! Be ambitious.

To sweeten the pot, too, in case people were waffling about this: there is a karma point for contributions, and if you do enough of the calls when they're posted, you might be eligible!
Lāche pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Clavis

ugg if I knew anything about music or crafting I'd hop on this.....
anyways if you all are needing some idea, I find youtube is pretty good for those that need to see what their thinking.

look up native american music, and it's usually got some instruments that would fit in Zalanthas.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

gotdamnmiracle

Never done anything like this before. Made a couple for moss agate because I never see any.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
Never done anything like this before. Made a couple for moss agate because I never see any.

You are perfect. You should make more because... moss agate needs love. All of the gems do, to be quite honest.

Unless it's lapis. Don't do lapis, unless it's... only one craft. :)
Lāche pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

manipura

There...despite struggles with the request tool, I got a few sent.  Agate got some love, so did peridot (x2) and beryl and citrine.

Fun facts:
Scientifically, ruby and sapphire are the same stone.  They are both the mineral corundum.  Red corundum are called rubies, while all others are sapphires, which actually vary in colour (not all blue).  Essentially a ruby is just a red sapphire.

Emerald and beryl are the same stone.  When beryl has trace amounts of chromium or vanadium in it, it becomes green and we call it an emerald.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
Some ideas for jewelry pieces that are not rings or earrings: combs, hair beads, ear cuffs, necklaces, pendants, chokers, brooches, bracelets, armlets, anklets, eyebrow rings, nose rings, cuff links, jeweled epaulets...

I'll probably do a few more at some point today.  I'm struggling with instrument ideas, but they're percolating around.

Zenith

Navel rings, belly chains. I've been wondering about toe rings, but I don't think there are toe wearlocs.

LauraMars

• Helper
Those hair stick things. Here are some made out of bone!

and barefoot sandals maybe count as jewelry?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:58:28 PM by LauraMars »
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
Sure! And Zenith - maybe... soon.
Lāche pas la patate!