Alternate Entertainment in the Arena?

Started by Esadal, June 26, 2016, 08:04:43 PM

June 26, 2016, 08:04:43 PM Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:53:39 AM by Esadal
Hello everyone!

So I was wondering, what exactly is the purpose of the Arena in 'Nak?  Is it just for public executions and combat-based entertainment, or is it possible that we might not actually be be utilizing this asset to its fullest capabilities?

Does the Arena have to be combat-only?  Could we also use it for big plays, or performances of some sort?  Perhaps some good old 'Nakki propaganda, to be spread to the ears of the many citizens of 'Nak?

Could we possibly have some races as some sort of event like that as well in the Arena?  How feasible would that be?

Just trying to get some ideas flowing for some potential non-combat related entertainment in the biggest stage possible in 'Nak.  Let me know your thoughts!

Of course, if we don't like the show, the Arena beasts always need a snack..
How about a scavenger hunt?

In Dark Sun, in Tyr, the arena is used as a market when not on certain days, then again Tyr is also a 'council based system' after their king dies and the arena is for people who want to compete and not uh, well, public executions.

I'd like to see something like that though. Gimme a market.

I've seen the arena used in a variety of ways, not all were combat oriented but all of them were entertainment oriented.

If you have an idea you'd like to see, get one of them role calls that gives you access to try it out.  ;)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The Arena has also hosted social events, announcements, and festivals.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Hosted an orgy there once.  That was in the stands though during a particularly boring elf flight.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

There's a farmer's market every 2nd week of the month.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Public trials would be awesome. You know, for show, public shaming and of course political propaganda. Result probably would be decided long before the show. But it is used for entertainment and damage some houses' reputation. People on trial would be allowed to speak the incident, and even maybe defend themselves. Templars may give reasons of their decisions. Blah.. blah.. I really like to learn and feel plots of the upper tier, at least a version of it. In other words, Arena can be used even more as arena for political games as well.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: Gaare on June 27, 2016, 03:31:51 AM
Public trials would be awesome. You know, for show, public shaming and of course political propaganda. Result probably would be decided long before the show. But it is used for entertainment and damage some houses' reputation. People on trial would be allowed to speak the incident, and even maybe defend themselves. Templars may give reasons of their decisions. Blah.. blah.. I really like to learn and feel plots of the upper tier, at least a version of it. In other words, Arena can be used even more as arena for political games as well.

Might be a cool way for some of the people out there feeling like they're not involved enough to hear about and latch onto various plotlines - fallouts, murders, houses growing in power, houses falling in power, people elevated, or disgraced. I imagine the current Templarate technically has the ability to do this if they were so inclined. That said, not many templars would go to that extent to air the dirty laundry of others unless they were forced to, or had ulterior motives.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

I doubt Nakki templars really give a fuck if the public thinks they are doing 'right' or 'wrong'.
Tuluk, maybe. But in Tuluk they are more likely to make it seem like you never existed so why have a trial in the first place?

The stands should be equipped with hydraulic risers that randomly dump sections of the audience on to the arena floor during games.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 27, 2016, 05:43:26 AM
The stands should be equipped with hydraulic risers that randomly dump sections of the audience on to the arena floor during games.

+1000
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I was looking for a gif of the stands collapsing in Spartacus, but no dice  :'(
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I don't want to discourage any brainstorming in this thread, but my perspective on this issue is that it's not due to a lack of ideas, but rather a lack of warm bodies willing to make it happen. If you want to see choreographed shows (I'm down; Tuluk did it), then the best way to help is to make your character amenable to being an actor. Such characters certainly show up occasionally, but they don't see to stick around long enough to make things happen. Or at least the more recent ones that I had the pleasure of meeting. Saying 'be the change' is cliche, but my advice for people who are interested in seeing more varied types of events in the arena ought to get involved in those efforts IG, and be in it for the long haul. I bet you'll find some like-minded individuals to work with.

Lots of things have been done in the arena, including trials, team sports, non-lethal competitions, speeches, plays, ceremonies, etc.

The issue, as Drayab mentioned, is volunteers.  You need 6+ volunteers in order to make anything cool happen in the Arena beyond a gladiator fight, and when there are only 12 people in the stands, that means 50% of the people need to be involved in some way.  In other words, if you want cool stuff to happen in the arena and your buddy to your left isn't volunteering, guess what?  If you don't either, nothing new is going to work.

Sadly, the Arena isn't an entertainment vending machine.  It's more like a community garden, where everyone needs to lend a hand to make the misery grow.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Aeschylus wrote plays we still study that had all of one actor playing every role. 6+ seems a little much when any classical tragedy you may read about has no more than three people to act out every part.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

The Tuluki playhouse put on a play, once, that REALLY only needed about three players. They told a story about where Tuluk came from, about Muk Utep, and his Chosen People.

Granted, this was during THE GOOOOLLLLDEEENNNNNN AAAAAGE but I think it went really well. It was great, as an observer, to get that kind of information, and just be part of something different.

'Nak isn't as big on plays, per se, but the Arena could sure use something like bards before, or in between, fights. To keep us entertained.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on July 30, 2016, 10:57:02 AM
The Tuluki playhouse put on a play, once, that REALLY only needed about three players. They told a story about where Tuluk came from, about Muk Utep, and his Chosen People.

Granted, this was during THE GOOOOLLLLDEEENNNNNN AAAAAGE but I think it went really well. It was great, as an observer, to get that kind of information, and just be part of something different.

'Nak isn't as big on plays, per se, but the Arena could sure use something like bards before, or in between, fights. To keep us entertained.

Just over a year ago, Tuluk also had a play (two?) in the playhouse.  The one I saw had two PC actors and a few NPC actors, IIRC.  It was also fantastic.

The bardic culture of Tuluk -- as a refined multi-layered society interested in history among other things -- is something I miss.  I was really excited about rolling up a bard (in the technical sense) one day.  I have hopes that maybe the Atrium will be this down south -- although I haven't rubbed elbows with the Atrium circle since it opened, alas.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

It was one play and one contest, if I can recall.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'm still waiting for some incredibly decadent and insane noble to flood the arena, so they can put on a play about Legends past, when the sea was water.

Bonus points if they use blood, instead.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Other stuff we have done in the Arena:

-- Full gladiator games spanning several RL days (with between-rounds amusement including Fale clowns)
-- Contests of various kinds (combat, archery)
-- Chariot racing
-- Festival held by Fale on the Arena floor
-- Displays of wild beasts i.e. a mekillot that really wasn't happy to be there and tore shit up, making the Arena unusable for a while
-- Giant spider that exploded into baby spiders that infested the city (that was part of gladiator games but it was so fun I'm adding it to the list)
-- Executed a Red Robe

Allanak doesn't really do plays, per se. A case could be made for an entertainment along those lines if it was Nakki-flavored.

Not only do Arena events take a lot of hands-on involvement by players and staff (if they are anything more than a simple combat thing), but they also require some imagination and creativity. Like...if you want to do something new and fresh, what is that, and how can it fit Allanak? Craft your entertainment to suit Allanaki tastes.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on July 30, 2016, 03:07:40 PM

-- Executed a Red Robe

Good times. :)
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Talia on July 30, 2016, 03:07:40 PM
-- Giant spider that exploded into baby spiders that infested the city (that was part of gladiator games but it was so fun I'm adding it to the list)

THE RATSUCKER

a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes walks in from the west.
a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes shouts, in sirihish, "Ladies. Lords. Good people of Allanak. Today, we retell the story of my devilish ancestor, one by the name of Ironsword. We tell of his strength, his folly, and eventually, his demise, and the rise of the Dragon, Tektolnes, as the Highlord."
An arrow flies in from the west, striking the dwarf in the head!
a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes crumples to the ground.
A muscular, confident soldier enters from the west.
A muscular, confident soldier, chuckling as he moves to draw his blade and slit the dwarf's throat, shouts, "Another miserable slave, trying to free himself from the Highlord's labor. Is our food, water and shelter not kind enough? Is the work too easy?"
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget sneaks in from the west.
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget shouts, "You have killed my brother, you vile beast! Death to Allanak, death to you!"
A muscular, confident soldier turns, peering at an ugly, lumpy-faced midget, unimpressed even as he draws his blade clean of crimson.
A muscular, confident soldier shouts, "Ironsword, you are often off duty, lazy, and violent. What is your excuse this time?"
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget shouts, raising his hands and spittling everywhere, "You dastardly bastard, he was to collect spice for me, so that I feign sickness and not work for the rest of the day! You have ruined it! Come, brothers- We need at least six of us to be a match for this craven!"
A muscular, confident soldier snorts, turning to walk away, though he keeps his blade drawn.
A muscular, confident soldier shouts, "I do not have the time to waste with you, Ironsword. You cannot defeat me in battle. I will leave for a moment and hope you regain your senses."

Quote from: AdamBlue on July 30, 2016, 08:35:48 PM
a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes walks in from the west.
a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes shouts, in sirihish, "Ladies. Lords. Good people of Allanak. Today, we retell the story of my devilish ancestor, one by the name of Ironsword. We tell of his strength, his folly, and eventually, his demise, and the rise of the Dragon, Tektolnes, as the Highlord."
An arrow flies in from the west, striking the dwarf in the head!
a knobby-nosed dwarf with brown eyes crumples to the ground.
A muscular, confident soldier enters from the west.
A muscular, confident soldier, chuckling as he moves to draw his blade and slit the dwarf's throat, shouts, "Another miserable slave, trying to free himself from the Highlord's labor. Is our food, water and shelter not kind enough? Is the work too easy?"
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget sneaks in from the west.
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget shouts, "You have killed my brother, you vile beast! Death to Allanak, death to you!"
A muscular, confident soldier turns, peering at an ugly, lumpy-faced midget, unimpressed even as he draws his blade clean of crimson.
A muscular, confident soldier shouts, "Ironsword, you are often off duty, lazy, and violent. What is your excuse this time?"
An ugly, lumpy-faced midget shouts, raising his hands and spittling everywhere, "You dastardly bastard, he was to collect spice for me, so that I feign sickness and not work for the rest of the day! You have ruined it! Come, brothers- We need at least six of us to be a match for this craven!"
A muscular, confident soldier snorts, turning to walk away, though he keeps his blade drawn.
A muscular, confident soldier shouts, "I do not have the time to waste with you, Ironsword. You cannot defeat me in battle. I will leave for a moment and hope you regain your senses."

And then they all come back and everything bursts into dragon flame

Quote from: Barsook on July 30, 2016, 11:20:51 AM
It was one play and one contest, if I can recall.

I would have organised many more but, well... you know  :'(

Sadly my logged messed up and it never saved either. Just like with the attack on Ten'Sarak.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.