Scientific Zalanthas

Started by Hitsuchi, June 25, 2016, 06:00:23 PM

June 27, 2016, 12:00:46 PM #25 Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:02:41 PM by nauta
This is neat, from the Dune wikipedia:

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremen
The most notable custom of the Fremen is their water conservation. Living in the desert with no natural sources of water has spurred the Fremen to ritualize and build their society around the collection, storage, and conservative use of all moisture. They conserve the water distilled from their dead, consider spitting an oath bond, and value tears as the greatest gift one can give to the dead.[1] Dune suggests that the Fremen have adapted to the environment physiologically, with their blood able to clot almost instantly in order to prevent water loss.[9] Leto II Atreides notes in Children of Dune (1976) that Fremen have a "longer, larger" large intestine "to take back water from everything which came its way."

In Dune, Paul's suspicions are confirmed when Stilgar admits to Jessica that "We bribe the Guild with a monstrous payment in spice to keep our skies clear of satellites and such that none may spy what we do to the face of Arrakis." The Fremen have a long-term plan to terraform Arrakis:

We change it ... slowly but with certainty ... to make it fit for human life. Our generation will not see it, nor our children nor our children's children nor the grandchildren of their children ... but it will come ... Open water and tall green plants and people walking freely without stillsuits.

Collection
Water is collected from the atmosphere in windtraps that condense the humidity and add it to the underground water store (caches).[1] Water can also be collected from dead animals and people, using a deathstill to remove the water from a corpse for addition to the sietch water store. The Fremen who obtains the body — through discovery or honorable killing — is then given a set of water rings whose markings denote a volume of water equal to the amount of water collected. These rings are used as a form of currency, and are backed by fixed volumes of water (analogous to the historical gold standard). For example, the victor of a sanctioned duel would claim his dead opponent's water, and the widow or children of deceased Fremen might inherit his water. Water rings have a profound significance in matters of birth, death, and courtship ritual.

Storage
Each sietch has its own water store underground. This store can hold millions of decaliters of water and is accounted for literally to the last drop. This store is used as a bank for all the water owned by members of the sietch through water rings, as well as for the sietch's own store of water for the eventual transformation of their planet into something other than desert.

Conservation
The Fremen spend all time out of their sietch in a stillsuit, a special body-enclosing suit designed to collect and recycle all the moisture the body releases, from urine, feces and sweat, to the exhalation of water vapor in the breath. The special fabric is a micro-sandwich designed to dissipate heat and filter wastes while reclaiming moisture. The water is then held in catchpockets and made available to drink through a tube. A Fremen in a well-kept suit can survive weeks in the desert without any other source of water. Because of their culture's focus on water conservation, it is generally considered a great sign of respect among the Fremen to spit before a person. Fremen also put a great cultural reverence on crying and tears. Tears shed for someone who has died are referred to as "Giving Water to the Dead" and regarded with much bemusement.

We need deathstills in Zalanthas.  Mastercrafters, go.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrakis for water discussion.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I like to imagine that Earth, at some point, suffered several nuclear detonations. Not enough to destroy all life, but enough to seriously damage the entire ecosystem. At the height of the space age, we had constructed an artificial satellite, but after we lost all communications and technology, everyone up there's super dead, orbiting in their giant red sphere. Back down on the planet, people and animals slowly begin to evolve.

One of the first evolutionary advantages the (still) human race experienced was a sensitivity to radiation that allowed us to navigate hot spots (a la Piers Anthony's 'Battle Circle') and avoid the worst of the radioactivity. Those that fled to the mountains experienced mutations such as expanded lung capacity, taller and thinner bodies, and more acute senses, whereas those in the in thickest cities suffered massive cellular degeneration over decades. Completely devoid of hair, only those that possessed superhuman resistance to poisons and free radicals survived and had offspring, particularly those with the intense focus and will power to overcome the numerous obstacles in their path.

As the radioactive energy began to dissipate after several thousands years the sensitivity to radiation that allowed us to avoid the worst of it slowly became an ability to manipulate it. This was the birth of magic. This EMF manipulating ability took a few different styles, the cultures existing at that time attributing the differences to the separate hue of light. Red and Infrared light magickers excelled at starting fires, destroying tissue and soft materials, while at the other end of the spectrum, the ultraviolet manipulators were capable of sensing the electromagnetic fields of living organisms, as well as damaging the genetic structures of said organisms, practically cursing them. Even the flashes of intense UV light they were capable of producing, while seemingly invisible, was capable of rendering others blind.

Lol, I know a lot of this probably wildly inaccurate and completely impossible, with more than few errors in my understanding of physics, I'm sure. Still, I like the idea, and if someone corrects me, I just get the bonus of learning new stuff.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I've always been a big fan of the Spelljammer universe with planar travel.

I like to imagine that Zalanthas is a dying world, part of the big multiverse and the sorcerer-kings know it. Their goal is to use the energy left in the world to cross over into another universe where they can continue to feed on magical energy. It might even be in their goals to become a demilich capable of existing across multiple universes indefinitely.

Quote from: Miradus on June 27, 2016, 04:51:34 PM
I've always been a big fan of the Spelljammer universe with planar travel.

I like to imagine that Zalanthas is a dying world, part of the big multiverse and the sorcerer-kings know it. Their goal is to use the energy left in the world to cross over into another universe where they can continue to feed on magical energy. It might even be in their goals to become a demilich capable of existing across multiple universes indefinitely.
B-but thats not canon.

I just use the standard Dark Sun world rules when it comes to Zalanthas.
Meaning we are just stuck in this hellish world and the elementals are kind of to blame because they murdered jesus

To hell with canon!

I have head-canon.

Suk-Krath is a a Sun-like Star, while Jihae is a Red Giant. I'm not sure if Suk Krath and Jihae are in a Binary system or not. Lirathu and the Black Moon are the only actual moons.

Leaving this here because of how fascinating I found it! Nauta, thank you for reminding me just how much I loved Dune. Seriously.
:)

He actually thought so much of this out. Fascinating. Yes, stillsuits! Definitely a go. Deathstills... I don't know...it sounds distasteful to me, but in this world, why not? It makes sense!
:D

Quote from: nauta on June 27, 2016, 12:00:46 PM
This is neat, from the Dune wikipedia:

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremen
The most notable custom of the Fremen is their water conservation. Living in the desert with no natural sources of water has spurred the Fremen to ritualize and build their society around the collection, storage, and conservative use of all moisture. They conserve the water distilled from their dead, consider spitting an oath bond, and value tears as the greatest gift one can give to the dead.[1] Dune suggests that the Fremen have adapted to the environment physiologically, with their blood able to clot almost instantly in order to prevent water loss.[9] Leto II Atreides notes in Children of Dune (1976) that Fremen have a "longer, larger" large intestine "to take back water from everything which came its way."

In Dune, Paul's suspicions are confirmed when Stilgar admits to Jessica that "We bribe the Guild with a monstrous payment in spice to keep our skies clear of satellites and such that none may spy what we do to the face of Arrakis." The Fremen have a long-term plan to terraform Arrakis:

We change it ... slowly but with certainty ... to make it fit for human life. Our generation will not see it, nor our children nor our children's children nor the grandchildren of their children ... but it will come ... Open water and tall green plants and people walking freely without stillsuits.

Collection
Water is collected from the atmosphere in windtraps that condense the humidity and add it to the underground water store (caches).[1] Water can also be collected from dead animals and people, using a deathstill to remove the water from a corpse for addition to the sietch water store. The Fremen who obtains the body — through discovery or honorable killing — is then given a set of water rings whose markings denote a volume of water equal to the amount of water collected. These rings are used as a form of currency, and are backed by fixed volumes of water (analogous to the historical gold standard). For example, the victor of a sanctioned duel would claim his dead opponent's water, and the widow or children of deceased Fremen might inherit his water. Water rings have a profound significance in matters of birth, death, and courtship ritual.

Storage
Each sietch has its own water store underground. This store can hold millions of decaliters of water and is accounted for literally to the last drop. This store is used as a bank for all the water owned by members of the sietch through water rings, as well as for the sietch's own store of water for the eventual transformation of their planet into something other than desert.

Conservation
The Fremen spend all time out of their sietch in a stillsuit, a special body-enclosing suit designed to collect and recycle all the moisture the body releases, from urine, feces and sweat, to the exhalation of water vapor in the breath. The special fabric is a micro-sandwich designed to dissipate heat and filter wastes while reclaiming moisture. The water is then held in catchpockets and made available to drink through a tube. A Fremen in a well-kept suit can survive weeks in the desert without any other source of water. Because of their culture's focus on water conservation, it is generally considered a great sign of respect among the Fremen to spit before a person. Fremen also put a great cultural reverence on crying and tears. Tears shed for someone who has died are referred to as "Giving Water to the Dead" and regarded with much bemusement.

We need deathstills in Zalanthas.  Mastercrafters, go.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrakis for water discussion.

Zalanthans have flexile stomaches.

For some reason we can only eat one meal if with arn't hungry. Two meals if we're hungry and 4 meals if we're starving.

Realistically we should tdesc distended bellies if we want to portray the volume disturbance of eating 4 consecutive meals.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

As far as I can tell, there is no direct mention of stars when you look up at the sky at night. But  I've seen in-game objects that mention stars and star-shapes. Are there visible stars in the sky at night time? How about celestial bodies beyond the moons? Just speculation. I'm sure the answer to these questions would be 'Find out IC".
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

This has been brought up in the past, and I believe the consensus was that there are stars, as there are rooms that mention stars, but they are most often obscured by the dusty skies.  You can dig around with a GDB search, to be certain.
Where it will go

I can 100000% confirm stars exist.
Anyone but your occasional tribal that goes up near the mountains, however, will not have seen them. Because of our dusty skies/the sun/other reasons.

I'd think even through the dust, on a moonless night, you'd see the stars, due to the lack of light pollution.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

I don't know if you heard, but wizards did it.
Where it will go

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on August 09, 2016, 12:09:05 PM
I don't know if you heard, but wizards did it.
This seriously might be the answer.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh. The stars exist, but we don't talk about them.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

The stars don't exist,
The comet is in your mind,
Cherry blossoms fall...
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Okay this was a while back but I'm going to add to this about some things.

Zalanthas being Mars - That's even worse than it might be...there is water on mars...FLOWING water at that...however...they estimate it to be about the equivalent of 38 Olympic sized swimming pools.  Not very much.  Now...this can be explained by saying a comet has struck the planet, perhaps on the far side of the planet for that matter.  The point being a comet has a lot of ice (and other things) in it and this could have increased the total amount of water on Mars.  (we don't know if there is water deep in the crust yet)  So...making the assumptions that the water has been added to this planet via a comet or three on the far side of the planet. (might explain the near eternal dust storms and why there is dust up there constantly?  Though that would probably be an extinction event but let's say it was moving Really Really Really slowly)  Or there is a large stash of water below the planet.  Without revealing to much, I have seen an incredibly large amount of water in game, a long long time ago.  Think of it as a torrential river.  So water is available.

Plants - evolution is the easy answer.  Specifically, being capable of holding in their moisture much as a cactus or desert plant does, that's why they have that 'waxy' covering on them.  Typically plants can have wide spread out roots, typically in a desert, to catch as much rainfall as occasionally comes, a big root ball to grab the water that is near the surface and pull nutrients it needs, or a taproot that digs straight down deeply.  So perhaps an evolution that causes an amalgam of at least the spread out roots and the tap root, allowing the plant to reach deep to find some moisture, spread out to grab a little water when those occasional rains come through and are designed to hold it all in as much as possible.  Super slow growth on top of this means it can survive a long time, a cactus is VERY slow growing, so too are these plants.  The fruit bearing plants hold their water in their fruit, this doing two things, allowing them to have a supply on hand and also tempting animals to eat them and spread their seeds when they poo.  Fruitless leafy plants have probably got a store below ground, probably deep along their tap root.  That's why so many are poisonous, it's to protect their precious water, animals won't eat them because they would die, so these plants have evolved to having added/altered their water stores to be highly poisonous.  So far, on Earth, if there is ANY water, no matter where you look, there is life.  In science, unless we can prove otherwise, it is going to be held that if a place has water, then it has what is necessary to support life in some manner. 

People - Evolution again, this time helped along with some hefty mutation.  Similar things to as above but resulting in Elves, Evolved Humans, Dwarves...etc.

Insects - It would require lots and lots of oxygen.  Also, as was mentioned a diminished gravity from Earths or insects that have an circulatory system similar to ours and the means to breath better than insects on Earth do.  Evolution can do amazing things.  But if we go with lots of oxygen and lower gravity, this could be supported by the whole Mars thing.

Oxygen - not really enough plant life to support replenishing the oxygen.  At least not in the Known.  I have always assumed that Northwards, a long ways away, life continues to flourish in some form, by that I mean plant life.  If we look at the world from south to north, plant life increases in abundancy to the point of looking as parts of the savannah does in Africa.  Meaning to the north, more plants, even further north perhaps even more plants.  This would allow oxygen to spread.

But that could also mean more animal life up that way...and perhaps that is true.  But it doesn't have to be great amounts of oxygen breathing life.  Maybe in the great UnKnown out there, there is only small animals.  Maybe we are just the super duper unlucky ones that live down here, stuck as it were, where things suck really really bad.

The Black Moon - a captured rogue 'planet' or moon?  It happens.  Well...it theoretically could happen.  And in Mars' case, that's where Phobos and Deimos came from, capture asteroids basically.  Our moon likely came from Very Very Very Old Earth being struck by something planet sized.  Stuff got ejected out into orbit around these fusing planets which over time pulled together and formed our moon.  But anyway...one thing I have not mentioned is magick.  Now...in Dark Sun one of the reasons the planet sucks so bad where the game is set is all the magic is pulled from plant or sometimes animal life.  This can often kill the plants and make the land unlivable.  Which would also kind of explain why the south is crappy as Tektolnes lives there and the north isn't quite as crappy because the Sun King was different from Tektolnes in a lot of ways.  That being said, perhaps there was a black, rogue planet coming our way and magick stopped it's acceleration into Z's gravity well and placed it in a stable orbit like the other moons. 

Or...simply magick.

Suk-Krath being red - Well...if we go with the Mars analogy, that's simple, it's the Red Supergiant that Sol will turn into one day.  Probably increasing in size still, though who knows?  Maybe it's way after that and it's collapsing now.  However, if it was at it's peak it would be pretty darn massive alright.  It's going to swallow the Earth most likely, or come really close to doing so at least when it happens.  That's 8 light minutes.  89,420,000 miles in radius, meaning 178,840,000 miles in diameter and placing it at the minimum point of it's orbit only 33,900,000 miles from the surface of the sun.   The average distance from Mars to Earth's orbit is about 140,000,000.  I'm not going to do the math here, but the sun would be a WHOLE lot larger than it is now...and a lot closer to mars, meaning it would be relatively huge.  Something like a quarter of the sky?  Though I doubt it's at it's full expansion and like I mentioned, probably on the way to that or on the way back down as it cools.  (cooling being a very relative thing when we are speaking of an enormous fusion explosion in the sky)

Otherwise it's a Red Dwarf star.  (it's not just a show you know)  And that would mean Z is on the very closest 'edge of the habitable zone.  Which would mean the sun was maybe as large as Sol is from Earth though likely smaller.  As a Red Dwarf is about...oh 60% of the size of Sol.  Red Dwarves are cooler (again being a very relative term to stars, not to what humans would consider hot and cold) than Sol is and the Habitable Zone is therefore closer, and Z would be on the closer edge of that probably to account for the heat. 

I say it has to be hot because of the closeness of the star because if it's because of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere...well...there probably wouldn't also be enough oxygen to support the giant creatures and insects.

There is a very good point for how fast things would burn in an oxygen rich atmosphere though.  So, we probably have to look at a less massive planet than planet Earth to explain insect sizes.

The hardest thing to explain is magick.  Sorcerer magick isn't quite as hard as it pulls it's energy from elsewhere and transforms it into a different kind of energy.  Energy conversion is simple to believe in because it happens to us all the time.  Electricity into light and heat.  Light into heat and electricity.  So on.  (any technology that is far advanced beyond what we know would appear as magick, walkie talkies in the Middle Ages for instance.)  From the helpfiles: "Sorcerers do not 'automatically' gain energy to cast their spells as elementalists can. They must instead gather it from sources of life."  So there defilers handily handled, we just haven't advanced to that level yet. (and may we never reach that or we will be living on Zalanthas here on Earth)  The elementalists don't SEEM to pull their power from the world around them.  So that gets a bit harder to start to explain but...I'm going to assume it is somewhat similar and I don't want to say to much on how to explain that.  I don't know if that's a secret or not but if someone wants me to really talk about it, I suppose I can.

Spice - Well.  It's probably from poop.  Secretions from Silt Horrors and/or Silt Flyers and/or whatever else is out there that we haven't really seen yet.  Their digestion perhaps requires a unique method and adds chemicals to their food to work, these chemicals are expelled, probably after a long digestion period in which all water is drawn back out of it, meaning it comes out more like dust than what we would typically call poop.  So, dusty poop has strange chemicals in them that if human or human-like species snort/smoke gets them high.  Not really all that less weird than licking frogs.  Which is a thing.

As for the amount of available meat sources in the game - okay...well.  I always looked at this one as more of a gameplay thing than a science thing because I haven't come up with a scientific explanation for it.  So for gameplay reasons...there are VNPC people in the cities, I always thought of VNPC beasties in the waste.  I mean...there kinda has to be.  So...yeah.  That's all I got on the food supply thing.

Yeah this is sort of a necro, but I love theorizing about science...and it's still on the front page of this forum sooooo....
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I really enjoyed reading that, thank you. Especially the spice poop thing.

He who controls the poop...

Or, it's because of all the evil halflings and their flesh mending and sun magic and all sorts of crazy shit.

I'm glad we aren't darksun sometimes.

If the atmosphere were almost 100% oxygen, starting a fire would mean the death of everything. However, plant life within the Known doesn't produce like they said earlier nearly enough oxygen to replenish what the cities are using. And if the border regions of the unknown were florid, why would we stay in fucking saltlands and empty deserts, since we could get there by the end of one day on a beetle? I present to you: unbeatable science, the asshole.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I've always thought there might be vast jungles on the other side of the silt sea where the sorcerers were unable to reach.

OR Zalanthas is running a deficit and in about 1,000 years everyone left will die gasping.

Quote from: Miradus on January 29, 2017, 09:57:27 AM
I've always thought there might be vast jungles on the other side of the silt sea where the sorcerers were unable to reach.

OR Zalanthas is running a deficit and in about 1,000 years everyone left will die gasping.

That's a good point too.

If the oxygen was 100%...it wouldn't destroy everything.  But it would make a mighty boom.  A torch would set probably a league alight, but it probably wouldn't light the whole atmosphere I don't think.  I'll check on that.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Cind on January 29, 2017, 04:45:44 AM
If the atmosphere were almost 100% oxygen, starting a fire would mean the death of everything. However, plant life within the Known doesn't produce like they said earlier nearly enough oxygen to replenish what the cities are using. And if the border regions of the unknown were florid, why would we stay in fucking saltlands and empty deserts, since we could get there by the end of one day on a beetle? I present to you: unbeatable science, the asshole.

Okay, quick google.  I thought this right:

No. Although oxygen gas is a great oxidizer, it still needs another component in order to combust. Unless there was twice the amount of hydrogen gas as there was oxygen(O2 + 2H2 => 2H2O) mixed with the atmospheric oxygen, then there wouldn't be an explosion that would consume the entire atmosphere.

Yes, fires would burn hotter and possibly spread faster, but there wouldn't be a global explosion. It's likely that there would be significantly more fire storms, and you could basically turn a camp fire into a furnace.

So yeah.  If it was 33% Oxygen, and 66% Hydrogen...yeah lighting that match would be catastrophic.

January 29, 2017, 03:44:40 PM #48 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:48:47 PM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on January 26, 2017, 10:11:18 AM
x

To go on with your Elementlist issues.

They draw their powers directly from the elemental planes they are linked to from manifestation.
They are directly born with some unnatural connection to the other planes of magick.
They are almost rifts into our plane from the elemental.

That is at least how I always rationalized it in my head.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on January 29, 2017, 03:44:40 PM
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on January 26, 2017, 10:11:18 AM
x

To go on with your Elementlist issues.

They draw their powers directly from the elemental planes they are linked to from manifestation.
They are directly born with some unnatural connection to the other planes of magick.
They are almost rifts into our plane from the elemental.

That is at least how I always rationalized it in my head.

Yeah basically energy, made into other energy.  :)  I like it.