So many ideas...

Started by Lizzie, June 23, 2016, 08:40:42 AM

Most of my suggestions and proposed changes I'm not emotionally invested in and I don't care about discussing.

So I use the "idea" command. I spam the heck out of that + bug command.

I believe the lack of a Random Armageddon Thoughts thread, where people would randomly post about positive as well as negative things, has given the GDB a more critical tone. Intentionally, judging by Staff posts at the time of the RAT's closure. People just aren't going to make threads about how awesome something is. People want to talk about things that irk them, and how they'd like it to be changed.

It is kind of disheartening after awhile to read a bunch of threads of mostly terrible ideas with little positive to balance it. Or at least it makes the GDB less interesting.

I think the fact that players are taking the time to think up these ideas and have a discussion on them is indicative not of people disliking the game, but of them enjoying it and wanting to make it better. If they really didn't like it, why would they even waste their time on the GDB to begin with. And just because someone wants to change the lasagna doesn't mean it will be worse after the change, it very well might be tastier, not all changes to a recipe are detrimental, and I'm sure grandma made changes and modifications to an existing lasagna recipe to make hers, and she probably discussed the ingredients with friends and family when she served it and when teaching others to make it. Could be one of those discussions was the reason Grandma's Famous Lasagna ended up so tasty.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Maybe a touch too much venom in there...

The funniest is when someone is against the idea of having helpful commands like the newly implemented casting change and you know for a fact that this person has a file with all of the spell words and skills branching on it  ;D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on June 23, 2016, 02:40:39 PM
The funniest is when someone is against the idea of having helpful commands like the newly implemented casting change and you know for a fact that this person has a file with all of the spell words and skills branching on it  ;D

I'm curious about how you would know that for a fact, Malken.... unless this person has shared that with you?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on June 23, 2016, 02:43:11 PM
Quote from: Malken on June 23, 2016, 02:40:39 PM

I'm curious about how you would know that for a fact, Malken.... unless this person has shared that with you?

Many have shared many things with me - I've never tried to hide that fact. Is there anything you want to know in particular?

I think I've been pretty honest and blunt about what I've done and haven't done in my "Armageddon career" and I know for a fact that many have done the same and it's why I'm VERY pro changes that brings a fair "balance" between having to go and look for secrets and having stuff remained very secret in-game (there are just as many stuff I don't know about Armageddon and I love the fact that they remain a secret to me.)

But skill branching or spell words? Everyone should have access to this basic knowledge.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I think we need to stop looking at change like its the bogeyman. Change is inevitable. The game has changed significantly over the years. Often gradually, sometimes sharply. The game is molded by opinions. Staff opinions, which can sometimes be swayed or downright altered by player opinions. This is true of many development communities for video games. We should be rejoicing that Staff is as attentive as it is to player opinions. Many games aren't, try to hold true to developer goals without accounting for their players and their wants, and putter out and die.

A game that doesn't change or foster an environment where change can be discussed will putter and die. Fortunately Armageddon has never had this problem. From "Change Mood" to quitting at gates, sleight of hand alterations to the city of Tuluk and Allanak, played input has served a vital role in how the game is shaped. It's very short sighted and close minded to think the only change should be dictated of requested by Staff. The Staff is composed of players as well. So you could say everything that has changed with the game is affected by player opinions and brainstorming. Staff changes the game for our benefit and enjoyment, not to hinder or harm our gaming experience. Similarly, players aren't suggesting changes to the game to worsen their experience or the experience of others. They are pontificating on how to make the game better, more appealing to old and new players, and a more fun environment.

RAT was a cesspool where ideas where shat out wholesale. People didn't have to put thought into the ideas or their implications. I prefer the way it is now. Nauta for instance has made several well thought out RP threads and started discussions that aim to help improve our game environment.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quit being so fucking quotable, dude!

You seriously trying to get my signature changed every week?  What the fuck is this?!
-Reiloth

In this thread or in general? :)

I think we can all agree, irrational posts criticizing other posts notwithstanding, that someone needs to goddamn fix the wagonmaking skill already srsly

Quote from: manonfire on June 23, 2016, 04:10:13 PM
I think we can all agree, irrational posts criticizing other posts notwithstanding, that someone needs to goddamn fix the wagonmaking skill already srsly

What's wrong with it? I've never tried to make anything with it. I did see someone make a wheel once but I have no idea what they did with it. Rolled it down the hill, perhaps.

I believe you can just make parts, but can't really do anything with those parts other than vendor them. You can't actually build a functioning wagon.

Well that sucks.

Are there problems with the code, or just staff doesn't want the world filled up with wagons?

As with most things, it's code.

Came cause I liked the premise of the thread, I noticed the same trends Lizzie noticed too and when I walk away from those threads they do lessen my excitement about the game for a little bit (so I take mini gdb breaks). I was already thinking about typing up my opinion on the stuff... then saw the shitslinging and dogpiling. That "kills" games too assholes. Healthy community, healthier game.

Don't be dicks.

Everyone on this forum is entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not we can show some decency to our fellow players. whether you've been around for a week or over a decade, you're entitled to your opinion about the game.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on June 23, 2016, 06:07:26 PM
Came cause I liked the premise of the thread, I noticed the same trends Lizzie noticed too and when I walk away from those threads they do lessen my excitement about the game for a little bit (so I take mini gdb breaks). I was already thinking about typing up my opinion on the stuff... then saw the shitslinging and dogpiling. That "kills" games too assholes. Healthy community, healthier game.

Don't be dicks.

Everyone on this forum is entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not we can show some decency to our fellow players. whether you've been around for a week or over a decade, you're entitled to your opinion about the game.

Gospel.

And buck up, motherfuckers.  If I can become better about my posting habits, you can be damn sure you can too.  Doesn't take much.  Just step back and ask yourself two things:

"Is what I am going to say here in some way improve the game, or someone's understanding of it"
and
"If what I am going to say might hurt someone's feelings, how can I say it to keep the information and lessen the blow"

Two simple questions with the same premise.

See below-
-Reiloth

June 23, 2016, 06:40:26 PM #43 Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:43:13 PM by Dresan
I cannot disagree with this thread and the original poster enough. I think it is borderline trollish, at the very least just rude to other people trying to contribute in their own way. Especially when these feelings and ideas are created by people with very high post counts.  ::)

Fun facts about posting an idea:

• You need to make an account.
  • You need to give a shit enough about this game and community to want to post.
  • You need to be ready to defend your idea against people who didn't even bother to read your post.
  • You need to be ready to take abuse without any guarantee people, moderators or staff will come and speak up or moderate.

I don't want to make this thread any more toxic that it is so all I have to say is I'm going to respond by trying to post more ideas when they come to me.

I think everyone needs to calm down.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

This thread right now:

I moderated a few posts that were needlessly combative/didn't contribute to a rational exchange of ideas (or...exchange of no ideas, as the case may be). And I will lock it if things spiral into further incivility.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

So what's the point of this thread, again?

I could speculate based on the OP, but it'd probably come across as combative.

stop trying to make us Canadian

Whatever happens, happens.

I think the point was "don't bitch about the game so much" but then we bitched about bitching about the game too much.

Oh hell. I don't really know any more.

Gonna go download "This War of Mine". I hear it's a delightful romp.