Bio, bitches. <3

Started by boog, June 23, 2016, 12:26:03 AM

Quote from: whitt on July 05, 2016, 05:23:59 PM
Quote from: amyandthepup on July 05, 2016, 05:03:42 PM
How do you add in a bio entry? I remember during character creation writing in a little background, but I have no clue how or where to write anything else in.

Quote from: nauta on June 23, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
I tend to do a lot of 'fill-me-in-later' BIOs...

bio add Something Great Just Happened, Click Here To Find Out
~

Then after a month or so, on a day when I can't log in (or when I'm idling waiting for PCs in my sphere) I'll go back in and fill them out.

More often than not, the bulk of my BIOs get filled in after my PC died.  (Another tip: You can still go into your dead PCs on the website and fill in their BIOs.)

You can also add them from the main Armageddon.org site by logging in and clicking the My Account > Biographies menu option.  You'll get a list of your characters and then you can edit or add new bio entries there.  Your first bio will be the background you submitted.

Quote from: amyandthepup on July 05, 2016, 05:03:42 PM
Sometimes, I can't help but feel lost when it comes to these things. I tend to write things in after major events have occurred in my char's life, not before. It's hard to know what to write. Plus, this is my first char, which only adds to my uncertainty. I don't do political intrigue, personally, but I do other things. What happens if you're not a very goal-oriented person? Is this like planning things you want to do, or something else?

This is why the: Bio Add command is neat.  You can tag an event as it happens in game and then come back and note it more fully (or not).  I enjoy doing IC-annual "Dramatis Personae" entries of who's been important to my character at the end of each IC year as another suggestion.

There's also 'help biography', posted in full below:
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Biography
Biography                                                        (Characters)

As the name of this command suggests, this command allows a player to
access/annotate a historical account of their character's life.  Its
intention is to provide a means to update a character's story beyond his
or her initial background as significant events unfold.  Entries made into
a character's biography must conform to the same standards and style of a
background.

Syntax:
   biography
biography <#>
biography add <title>
biography delete <#>
biography edit <#>

Example:
   biography
biography 1
biography add Another year gone
biography delete 6
biography edit 6

Notes:
   It is strongly suggested that you not use this command in rooms with
message boards, to avoid inadvertently writing personal information to
the boards rather than one's biography.

Be advised that this is not to be used as a personal diary, blog or
notepad.  This is not an electronic sticky pad to jot down ideas, thoughts,
or things to remember.  A good rule of thumb is to write entries where your
intended audience is expecting to read and be enlightened by the story of
your character's life.

You may not delete your initial background.  The delete functionality is
provided mainly as a courtesy in the event there are problems during adding
an entry.

You do not have to save after editing/adding an entry, it automatically
saves when you finish editing.

You can view and manage all your biography entries for all characters on
your account through the 'My Account' link on the main Armageddon webpage.

See also:
   editor, webpage

NB: The in-game editor is, uh, while awesome, kind of clunky.  The website editor is so much better.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

July 06, 2016, 03:25:25 AM #26 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:34:55 AM by Morrolan
I am a great believer in bios as a character development tool.

It also helps me remember when things happened. I recommend quick entries on the fly. As someone else said, they cal always be edited later from the www.armageddon.org website.

"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by halflings, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

"Byn Runner. Week twenty-one. Today we got a new recruit. His name is Spike Fitzwall. I beat him into the floor. He swore to get me. He never will. Ooh look! Candy!"
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

BUMPING.

Bitches.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Bios are awesome, I find that if I play a non-leader, I would rather create a bio instead of a report.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Morrolan on July 06, 2016, 03:25:25 AM
(stuff)

It also helps me remember when things happened. I recommend quick entries on the fly. As someone else said, they cal always be edited later from the www.armageddon.org website.

(stuff)

I have done some bios.  Not a lot per character, but some.  AND I NEVER NOTICED THIS!!!!!  Editing is huge.  I will now go write new bios and edit old ones.  Thank you.  You rock like Judas Priest back in the good old days.  With lots of black leather.

Bios written last night when I should have just gone to bed. Check!

Bios rewritten this morning so they actually make sense.... Working on it.

I'm gonna write one right now. I can tell my RP has gotten a bit off track when I don't keep in line with the bios.

If you're not bioing, you're not living! Or something.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.