Author Topic: lighting and extinguishing torches  (Read 1655 times)

nauta

lighting and extinguishing torches
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
Having never used a torch in real life, I'm curious how torches (like the ones we start with) get lit and get extinguished (such that you can light them again)?  If I wanted to engage in some torch RP (hehe), what are some maintenance tips?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Vositus

Re: lighting and extinguishing torches
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Shhhhhh, Nauta, we don't ask these questions!

Honestly, I never really considered it. Hopefully I'm not a terrible role-player because of it. When I can remember, I usually emote lighting mine from a nearby lamp or sconce... anything really.

An explanation for lighting torches in the dark, or when stinging sand swirls around you should be interesting...

Edit: Spellcheck murdered your name >.>

Miradus

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
Torches are typically lit from an existing flame.

Pulling them out of your pack and going into a cave and having them instalight is just a mud convenience. Realism has to suffer for gameplay sometimes.

The same as how I will often emote kindling a small fire from a carried ember in a clay pot, even though I have no ember, no coal pot, and just want to be able to cook some meat without having to gather up kindling and a bunch of branches. I feel no shame about roleplaying my way around clunky game mechanics and I feel no shame about favoring gameplay and keeping things moving along rather than worrying about the realism of something.

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
If you want to roleplay lighting a torch here are some options:

You carry around a shard of flint and one of those white stones with the yellow veins in the desc (it's sulphur). Your torch is also saturated with oil, and has a virtual oil reserve that gets absorbed by a virtual wick that rises from the handle to the top. You also happen to have a thick bundle of dried grasses and wood shavings.

You hold the white stone around 1/4 inch over the kindling - which you have placed on a wind-proof, fire-proof surface. You then use the flattest edge of the flint at an angle to strike the white stone until the sulphur is ignited and sparks onto the kindling. You blow on the kindling gently, to feed it until the flame rises. You then dip the oil-saturated top of the torch into the flames, causing it to instantly ignite.

To douse it, simply press the flame-end of the torch into sand and hold it there around 30 seconds.

OR

You have a virtual (or coded) ember kit which you keep handy somewhere, and there's always a lit ember in it because fantasy + 10 minutes real time = 1 hour game time and ain't nobody got time for the above suggestion. You open the ember kit and touch the end of the torch to it, which feeds the kit a fresh drop of oil to keep the ember glowing til next time, and ignites the torch.

OR

Your virtual/coded krathi/elkros pal snapped their fingers on the tip of the torch and it lit up, just like that.

OR

You get a small piece of glass or glass jewelry or diamond and directed the rays of suk-krath over the saturated torch til it ignites.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Miradus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
If you're going to be that realistic, you can also roleplay going up in a giant ball of fire because carrying oil-soaked torches loose in your backpack saturated the material and turned you into a giant lantern wick. :)

nauta

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
Ok, to be honest, the lighting part was the easiest to visualize.  I usually pretend to have a flint kit (virtual) on me, even though there is an actual (coded) flint kit in game, or I just light it off another torch.

It's the extinguishing that I'm more curious about:

To douse it, simply press the flame-end of the torch into sand and hold it there around 30 seconds.

So, I used to do this, even going so far as to pretend in the bars there'd be like a spitoon with sand in it (like an ash tray) whose sole purpose was to douse torches.

But then I thought: Wait, wouldn't that leave us with a bunch of sand-covered torches that you'd not be able to relight again?

(Just so you know, I'm cool with nothing at all for playability.  I was just curious, and started thinking about it, and in the movies and stuff this all happens off-screen.)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

WanderingOoze

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
>em stares at ~torch with a smouldering gaze until it ignites with a fiery passion.

The Ooze is strong with this one

You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

650Booger

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
it doesnt necessarily have to burn oil soaked rags, it could be wood coated in tree resin, a bundle of straw, etc...

as for RPing torch use, Id say if you are indoors when you light it, RP that you are using a charcoal brazier, or sticking it in the fireplace, or over a candle, that seems easy...
if you are in the wild I would suggest a flint.  could you make a flint spark by hitting it with granite?

to extinguish, just jam it into the sand.

*edit* wow, you guys are fast!  everything I just typed was already posted while I was typing it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:29:54 PM by 650Booger »
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

nauta

Lizzie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
If you carry around a deep-bowled mortar or empty pitcher you could just shove the flaming end down into either to extinguish it. The tighter the surrounding "walls", the less oxygen available to feed the flame. Basically when you extinguish a torch the object is to choke off its air supply.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Jihelu

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Just carry A krathis around and slap them everytime you need a fire, it's the easiest way really.