Stop and smell the ichor (or slow-mode) week!

Started by nauta, June 15, 2016, 01:35:11 PM

June 15, 2016, 01:35:11 PM Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:08:22 AM by nauta
In line with the other weeks (BIO, TDESC, uh, others), here's one:

This week slow down and smell the flowers (or ichor).

o use command emotes with direction commands, e.g., e (wandering along with the traffic)
o read the room descriptions
o locate your PC in that room with emotes and change ldesc
o interact with a virtual items in the room descriptions
o spend time emoting out some trivial task (skinning, healing from a wound, mounting your mount)
o interact with an NPC
o slow down with interactions with PCs -- wait for a response from your interlocutor, feel and think before responding
o use 'sniff' and 'taste'.

If the macrocosm is the microcosm, maybe one way to view the world as dynamic is to draw out those little things that are just sitting there in the room descriptions and in the virtual world and bring them to life.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

FUCK YEAH.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I do this anyways. But a reminder is good.

Some advice to do this: Pretend you are sitting down to write a chapter in a novel, before you login. What does your character notice? Why did they notice it? What happened when they noticed it? It helps me get into my PC and their motivations, as a simple 'in' before playing and getting wrapped into the sitting on a stool in a bar and saying nothing for 2 hours and logging off.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

ldesc, I've been slipping on those, good reminder.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Also, since we might all be doing this, let's remember to SLOW DOWN, too. Allow everyone to emote! I mean, nothing absurd like handfuls of minutes... but just give people time to react, respond, or to emote or tack on descriptors themselves.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on June 15, 2016, 07:10:47 PM
Also, since we might all be doing this, let's remember to SLOW DOWN, too. Allow everyone to emote! I mean, nothing absurd like handfuls of minutes... but just give people time to react, respond, or to emote or tack on descriptors themselves.

Six second rule!  (Wait six seconds before going on.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

When slowing down to add "life" to a scene or to try to make it more dynamic, try engaging your character's common five senses.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.