Author Topic: City Elves: A Prolegemena Brainstorm to a Potential Role Call  (Read 1828 times)

nauta

So, I'm thinking about drawing up a role call for a tribe/family of eastside (of the labyrinth) city elves, and I guess I'm starting this thread to get help in the process and/or brainstorm ideas and/or talk about prospects and pitfalls.  I know that Patuk did one for (I believe) southside city elves a while ago.  Is that posted somewhere?  There's also this:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Family%20Roles

So, brainstorm: From the veterans out there, any tips?  Prospects and pitfalls?  If you can talk about experiences from over a year ago, that'd be great too.  Just try to limit the snark to a minimum, and just to pre-empt that meme: notribe.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:08:24 PM by nauta »
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

whitt

Re: City Elves: A Prolegemena Brainstorm to a Potential Role Call
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
So, brainstorm: From the veterans out there, any tips?  Prospects and pitfalls?

Pitfalls are easier than prospects:
Why is the family/tribe in the Rinth?
Why (or would they) stay there if they have an ounce of success?
How do you deal with there being no other non-family/tribe cElf players, and possibly other players at all in the Eastside of the Rinth?
This would lead me to ranging Southside or even outside the City on runs down to Storm perhaps looking for interaction.  This results in quick death of the family/tribe members and (given the small numbers) the rest may quit/store or have even less options for play.
Given that your family/tribe will likely outnumber all other Elf PCs 3:1 and outskill non-animated Elf NPCs, how do you avoid exerting more control than is ICly appropriate?  In short see pitfall #2 above.  How do avoid being too successful?
The low number of folks that seem interested in playing a cElf in relation to the total player-base means you should be able to get a good initial crew, but replacing casualties (if allowed) could be problematic.

Prospects:
A well-done cElf tribe/family could add a lot of atmosphere to the game.
There are a bunch of newer players to the game, likely a bunch of those players would at least want to try cElfing, but maybe not solo.
Truly being able to add something to the gameworld, if you can keep it around for a RL year.  True of any family role, but a strong cElf family might encourage others to play cElf in or out of the family/tribe.

That's all I have for now...  best of luck!
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

nauta

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »
This would lead me to ranging Southside or even outside the City on runs down to Storm perhaps looking for interaction.  This results in quick death of the family/tribe members and (given the small numbers) the rest may quit/store or have even less options for play.

Thanks!  The interaction problem is something that I worry about too.  I'd like to build into the documentation plugs for interaction with other clans/entities, e.g., ties to the Dust Runners/RSV, ties to the (virtual) tribes eastside (Jaxa Pah and its sub-entities), maybe even ties to desert elves, ties to the Guild/westside, and ties to the AoD clan. 

While you emphasize the worry about becoming too successful, I'm a little worried about the opposite: protection.  The westside has the Guild which has ties to other entities which, in a sense, offers some semblance of protection to the PCs, as well as freedom of movement and (more importantly) the capacity to interact/get involved in plots southside.  And while human (non-coded) tribes/families might not have much by way of protection either, they have some freedom of movement and can get into all sorts of adventures outside Allanak.  Eastsiders would have to stick to the city (with maybe dangerous jaunts to RSV) -- and so the 'sphere' of interaction would be pretty narrow (pun intended).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Majikal

• Helper
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
I have a pretty huge love for elves, I've played some pretty long lived and (I would like to think) notable elves. The biggest concern in a rinther-family role Whitt stated, interaction. For those that have never played in the Rinth it quickly fluctates from hopping omg so much interactionz to omgz, nobody here but twitchy and does so often. I cannot stand have nothing to do and thus this keeps me from the rinth more often than not, which sucks because the place is rad and the players that manage to really bring it to life are also rad. Make sure if you take on players for the role that you talk to them and they're comfortable with sticking it out for the long haul.

My biggest pro-tip is on elves though, which is what made me want to post. Elven mindset is just flippin awesome, honestly I enjoyed playing the elven mindset so often on my c-elves/d-elves that I actually find myself having to stop myself from playing humans the same way. Tribal doctrine, tribal mindset, trust trials, culture of theft and so on, let yourself be drawn into it and swallowed up, they're incredibly immersive by nature and the amount of fun that can be had just by focusing on playing your elf as an elf can be astounding.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Whitt says "if you're able to replace casualties."  Do not expect to be able to replace casualties unless you get explicit approval from staff.  I've gone down the "wanting to create a PC elf tribe" road before and had my heart broken.  It was years ago and maybe that has changed, but then maybe not, so make sure you get that spelled out ASAP if that's your goal.

Good luck!

Patuk

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
So, I'm thinking about drawing up a role call for a tribe/family of eastside (of the labyrinth) city elves, and I guess I'm starting this thread to get help in the process and/or brainstorm ideas and/or talk about prospects and pitfalls.  I know that Patuk did one for (I believe) southside city elves a while ago.  Is that posted somewhere?  There's also this:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Family%20Roles

So, brainstorm: From the veterans out there, any tips?  Prospects and pitfalls?  If you can talk about experiences from over a year ago, that'd be great too.  Just try to limit the snark to a minimum, and just to pre-empt that meme: notribe.

I could just send you the documentation I made for that tribe, if you'd like. It's very extensive, and might give you some ideas. Given that any relevant PC's are long dead and it'll affect exactly zero current plots, I doubt people will mind.

Additionally, staff told me I could write up a request with input on what might be good ideas for a celf tribe's creation, so I could hand you that, too. I have seen very little been done with that in the year that's passed since I sent it, so I guess you could speed up those efforts instead.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

nauta

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
Please (via PM, I guess, unless you think it safe to post here -- I'd think it's safe to post that here, as it might stir up some conversation/ideas, but I'll let you decide)!

Armaddict

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
Elves are the greatest.  I love elves.

Don't overplay the scam.  Just make your elves swindlers and the scams will come naturally.  Don't worry about interaction, worry about staying alive; if people see an active group in the alleys they tend to gravitate towards it.  Likewise, don't go too xenophobe or you'll be cutting that out.  Give people an in to do business with you without you needing them to jump through a billion hoops first.

Be careful who you recruit for your guys.  Survival will be key.

Thanks for doing it.  While solo elves are fine and good, it would be nice to see the tribal city elf represented as well as the scary thing that it is.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger