Author Topic: How Feasible is: A History Bard  (Read 3709 times)

BrokenRomance

How Feasible is: A History Bard
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
I was wondering, exactly how feasible would it be to play a tribal bard from a made up tribe that has a rich oral tradition, and has kept the history of the things they've seen happen all over the known collecting stories alive?

If it's very feasible, I could see playing a travelling bard that performs for stories, food, and drink from other PCs, while also making it possible that PCs will hear about various histories although they may either be fabricated or it'd be required to submit copious amounts of requests for lore to compose into songs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:26:10 PM by BrokenRomance »
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Patuk

Re: How Feasible is: A History Bard
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
I was wondering, exactly how feasible would it be to play a tribal bard from a made up tribe that has a rich oral tradition, and has kept the history of the things they've seen happen all over the known collecting stories alive?

If it's very feasible, I could see playing a travelling bard that performs for stories, food, and drink from other PCs, while also making it possible that PCs will hear about various histories although they may either be fabricated or it'd be required to submit copious amounts of requests for lore to compose into songs.

This was half of the concept I had when I still had my tribal elf going on, so I'd say it is very, very possible. Making shit up is definetly something you wanna do here though.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

wizturbo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
Pretty feasible, but I wouldn't expect much in terms of receiving information from requests for lore.  You'd probably have to find out all those stories ICly, because knowledge and history is typically a fairly guarded subject.  So unless you already know a bunch of stories from past characters to draw from, your concept of starting out from a tribe that knows these things is probably not going to work too well.

There are roles that can expect to get some lore requests answered, but those typically involve literacy and access to a vast library, or are specific to clan-related lore that would be passed down within that clan. 

BadSkeelz

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »
As long as the stories are interesting, go for it.

Most of pre-modern historiography was just made up bullshit about how awesome/awful a particular scribe's patron/enemy was anyway.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
I had a really great time doing something similar.  Admittedly, I was in a coded tribe at the time (Sun Runner).

Erythil

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:40:44 AM »
Circle Irofel was basically this, so I'd say it's doable.

It helps a lot if you have legacy knowledge from prior characters.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
You're probably better off playing a wandering bard in search of knowledge, than a wandering bard who already has it -- unless you, the player, already has it. If you write in your background that you're a well-learned, it'll wind up being disappointing. Someone in a bar will ask you a question that you (the player) won't know the answer to, and some Bynner, whose biggest academic achievement was learning to take his boots off before entering the latrine, will rattle it off like common knowledge because his player has more years on Ginka than you.  This is true of most concepts that have any kind of knowledge requirement. Find out IC before you pretend like you know it.

Maybe you're young and your tribe has a rite, akin to a walkabout, where you go out in the world to learn stories to bring back. ;)
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Bushranger

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:45:22 AM »
I've always liked this concept and I've had a couple of Irofel bards. Staff is also generally very helpful with this concept. If they see you roleplaying a search for knowledge and talking to people about it they can give you a few points when you put in a request what you're looking for to help flesh out your historical stories. It may or may not be strictly true, history is often what the people you ask want to tell you it is. Your historical stories don't need to be strictly true either.
Quote from: Morgenes
Ya..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.
Quote from: Eukelade
Now I'm starving -1 karma Bushranger -1 karma.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Kudos to you bushranger for confusing staff.

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
There's actually a story teller in the city of allanak.
>discuss dood topics

And he'll tell you a nice tale of things that may or may not be true.
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Miradus

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »
You're probably better off playing a wandering bard in search of knowledge, than a wandering bard who already has it -- unless you, the player, already has it. If you write in your background that you're a well-learned, it'll wind up being disappointing. Someone in a bar will ask you a question that you (the player) won't know the answer to, and some Bynner, whose biggest academic achievement was learning to take his boots off before entering the latrine, will rattle it off like common knowledge because his player has more years on Ginka than you.  This is true of most concepts that have any kind of knowledge requirement. Find out IC before you pretend like you know it.

Absolutely this. I have been metagamed by other players in this mud more than any other mud I've played in two decades of playing muds.