Why was he so legendary?
The battle at the mines? Details!
What did he accomplish in his lifetime?
What were his goals, his motives?
Why did so many follow him?

Find out IC.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

It's been well over a RL year honey, and there is literally no documentation on this historical figure, other than the timeline, which is very scarce, at best. I can find tidbits over the board, but nothing really solid.

Quote from: Doublepalli on May 21, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
It's been well over a RL year honey, and there is literally no documentation on this historical figure, other than the timeline, which is very scarce, at best. I can find tidbits over the board, but nothing really solid.

Help cultivate the oral tradition in Zalanthas by asking a bard or something what they know. Ask the grouchety old PC you know. A noble. Maybe a templar if you're gutsy.

Plenty of ways to ask and get an answer over 1 RL year. 8.5 years IC isn't nearly enough time for history to fade away, especially something like Thrain.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 21, 2016, 04:15:38 PM

Help cultivate the oral tradition in Zalanthas by asking a bard or something what they know. Ask the grouchety old PC you know. A noble. Maybe a templar if you're gutsy.

Plenty of ways to ask and get an answer over 1 RL year. 8.5 years IC isn't nearly enough time for history to fade away, especially something like Thrain.

Come on. We're talking about some shit here that may have went on before some of us were even freaking born. Expecting people to march their Arabet and 'rinthi outlaws over to their nearest templar and ask if they can interrupt their important business pretty please because they wanted to know something is dumb.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on May 21, 2016, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 21, 2016, 04:15:38 PM

Come on. We're talking about some shit here that may have went on before some of us were even freaking born. Expecting people to march their Arabet and 'rinthi outlaws over to their nearest templar and ask if they can interrupt their important business pretty please because they wanted to know something is dumb.

What, the 'rinth ain't got no bards? Find that damn hard to believe.

You're putting "find out IC" to the extreme. That's okay, though. A lot of people do.

In my three+ years of play, I have not heard the name once. Stop mindlessly pushing this mantra to headache-inducing levels.

Truth be told, finding out about long dead characters and little tidbits regarding the world at large is such a chore that you end up not giving a damn.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on May 21, 2016, 04:30:46 PM
You're putting "find out IC" to the extreme. That's okay, though. A lot of people do.

In my three+ years of play, I have not heard the name once. Stop mindlessly pushing this mantra to headache-inducing levels.

Truth be told, finding out about long dead characters and little tidbits regarding the world at large is such a chore that you end up not giving a damn.

Pretty much this, yes.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Ah... Maybe my PCs just have it easy then. I've heard about actual history pretty indepth on at least two PCs and I've only had four.

I just think nobody asks about this stuff, I mean you can't expect people to run around screaming about it or something. Gather your balls in your hand, walk up to a PC (or hell wish up for an NPC animation), and claim you heard the name somewhere and you're curious about it because you weren't alive when it happened. Pretend a vNPC said it, damn.

Or.

We could know about the history of something relevant to the game like most people might already know?

I view lore discoveries about the same as place discoveries: it's part of the game that makes it exciting.  Of course, there are only some kinds of characters that can, say, travel inside the volcano up north, and only some kinds of characters that can discover the history of the Dragonthralls or Thrain Ironsword and so on.

Plus, history, to commoners, would be a lot of oral traditions and a lot of fables, in my view.  In the case of Thrain, I think firing off a request to staff would be the answer, if your PC is in a position to get the answer in the game but there aren't veteran PCs around to hand it over.   I've done that with other bits of lore.  You'd be surprised how often the answer is: To be honest, we aren't too sure.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I know personally of one NPC that mentions Thrain and it's pretty much an NPC you'd expect to know some stuff. From there, I guess you could go on a personal discovery quest and seek out lore in game. You just have to be aggressive and patient with it as a goal. That's been my experience with finding out stuff IC anyway.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on May 21, 2016, 04:35:32 PM

Ah... Maybe my PCs just have it easy then. I've heard about actual history pretty indepth on at least two PCs and I've only had four.

I just think nobody asks about this stuff, I mean you can't expect people to run around screaming about it or something. Gather your balls in your hand, walk up to a PC (or hell wish up for an NPC animation), and claim you heard the name somewhere and you're curious about it because you weren't alive when it happened. Pretend a vNPC said it, damn.

It's also entirely possible that the templar, GMH agent, or noble you're asking doesn't have an answer for you because their PLAYER has never learned the answer either, because everyone keeps telling them to find out IC, when in fact, the IC info is no longer available to players in-game. Or at least, not to the players who your character might ask.

Some rinthi scum wouldn't have any reason at all (and in fact would likely have reason to avoid) to ask their local blue-robe what they know about Thrain Ironsword. The average SLK elf would have no one to ask.

This is information we PLAYERS are asking about. My character wouldn't ever give a shit who this guy was and would therefore never consider asking anyone. I, on the other hand, would love to see some of the logs from back then (since y'know, we have player submissions).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You guys are hitting the nail on the head!

Finding this stuff out in game is nigh impossible, and lets be honest, asking a blue-robe about a dwarf who caused allanak to be sieged by dwarves and make allanak look silly for a moment, is a good way to get killed.

I'm asking this as a player, who is this guy? What all did he do? How? Why? Where? you know, he's a legend, lets hear his story from AGES AND AGES ago - long before I started playing Arm.

While I'm sure those beating the FIND OUT IC drum have the best intentions, it is perfectly acceptable to talk about Thrain right now.

Those who know something about him, go ahead. Do so. To those who would rather not know, don't read the thread. Let's keep this on topic.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Thrain Ironsword was seven feet tall and made of radiation.

He'll save children but not the southern children.

Thrain was before my time, even, and I've heard...only tidbits here and there of him.  Indeed, someone knowing the full story would be pretty awesome.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'm not even sure if such things (of a char PC) are documented.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on May 21, 2016, 09:46:05 PM
I'm not even sure if such things (of a char PC) are documented.

Yeah, I think the closest log I remember from the old website occurred around here:

1476 (Year 13 Age 20)
Allanak, after centuries of bloodshed and war, launches a successful assault on the Northlands. In a series of bloody battles, Allanaki troops conquer the region of Gol Krathu. The lone surviving Allanaki templar, Elaira Fale of the Blue, is credited with the victory. However, the invaders are unable to finish the job, as Muk Utep holes up in his pyramid and an indefinite siege begins.

IIRC the log involved a couple of desert elves surveying the battlefield just outside the tablelands, and mentioned, of course... flying shaps.

Disclaimer: I wasn't around, and I might have picked the wrong entry in the timeline.

For real though:

Most sponsored characters can't easily find out about shit that happened literally hundreds of years ago unless a PC at the time happened to write about it in a book (and most of the time they did not).  You have to hope an admin smiles on you, and even they simply may not be able to, because a lot of stuff from the primordial era of armageddon might not be well document.  Cool dudes like the plainsman, lord of storms, thrain, etc., do not leave a lot of IC traces because the Powers That Be want all dissidents and sorcerers forgotten.

Maybe those of us that were there would rather keep the oral tradition in game.

I'm okay with being an elitist cunt about things like this.

*That was a self flame, please don't ban me again.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on May 22, 2016, 05:55:15 PM
Maybe those of us that were there would rather keep the oral tradition in game.

I'm okay with being an elitist cunt about things like this.

*That was a self flame, please don't ban me again.

I like that you want to keep the oral tradition in the game. Thing is though, I've been playing - how many years now? Since 2002. And I haven't EVER heard any tale about Thrain Ironsword in game. So if the "oral tradition" means "don't let anyone know in or out of game" then it's kind of pointless. If that's not what it means, how would you suggest we find out IC, if our characters aren't people who would know who to ask - and since our characters have never heard of Thrain Ironsword, how would they know TO ask in the first place, let alone look for someone to offer the answer?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Don't worry, Dec. One of these years, if you're faithful, patient, and luckier than some 10 year old veterans, you'll find the information you seek. It'll all be worth.

Or not. Probably not.

I'm sure this "oral tradition" thing will kick in eventually.
Whatever happens, happens.

Just make shit up.

Thrain was an five cord tall with a real beard who turned Jihae red by spanking her ass. He rode a giant blue inix and personally pissed on every tree in the south until it was dead.

Thrain was a master of karate and friendship for everyone