Author Topic: how to become an aide/servant of a noble house  (Read 4416 times)

650Booger

how to become an aide/servant of a noble house
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
Hello all, this is a roleplaying question, I think...
If I wanted to roleplay a domestic manservant, butler type character for, say Oash (completely hypothetically) how would I go about it?  I can see several possibilities:
a.)do I wait for an announcement from staff that a sponsored aide role is opening and apply for that?
b.)do I create a mundane character that fits the profile of a servant type person, and somehow apply for the position ICly?
c.)do I submit a spec app, saying that I want this character to have this particular job, and work with staff to get it all arranged?

just a noob full of ideas and having a great time with this amazing game, thanks for your time.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Renenutet

• Storyteller
Re: how to become an aide/servant of a noble house
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
This is usually best handled in game. Of course unlike a role call there are no guarantees, but it's not the type of role that is sponsored.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »
Option B is your best bet. Good luck!

One additional suggestion is to leave your "butler type" character open to other options - just in case there aren't any nobles currently hiring.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Jihelu

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
A: That hasn't happened as far as I know?
B: Basically. Talk to people ic. Don't even need to be a butler type person most cases.
C: I mean I guess you technically could? It's usually best to ask if one is available before just getting shot down.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
You might also consider applying for a recognized bastard (see help bastards).  You would start as a clanned member of the noble house and likely as a servant.  However, if you're a newer player, I'd recommend just going with option B.

Jihelu

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:33:49 PM »
As with above, be sure to ask if there is room for the position before apping it.
Or you just send in something and it's wasted. Well, you can always save the idea.

CodeMaster

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
Isn't there an open clan for people wanting to become aides?  The Atrium?  (Possibly needs a helpfile?)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Tuannon

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »
There is, but for some reason no one ever wants to be a member.

Jihelu

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 12:10:37 AM »
Isn't there an open clan for people wanting to become aides?  The Atrium?  (Possibly needs a helpfile?)
House Terash is the one in charge, they've got a help file.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:54 AM »
Pretty full clan now as things go.

MeTekillot

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »
Describe your ass and breasts in your mdesc. Cannot stress this enough.

Renenutet

• Storyteller
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
Pretty full clan now as things go.

They'd probably go out of their way to make room for a new player though :)
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Desertman

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
Landing a job as an aide is traditionally pretty easy.

Put out word you want an interview as an aide or reach out to people who might want to hire an aide.

Usually these people can't find anyone worth a shit to actually be their aide and they will take just about anyone they can get.

If in your interview you show you can type complete sentences, aren't entirely stupid, and have at least some potential to be useful, you will PROBABLY get the job. Having a PC aide is like a status symbol for PC's in game who are in a position to hire an aide. Usually there is a shortage of decent people who are actually looking to be aides.

Landing the job is easy, usually. Now, how long you keep that job and how successful you are at it is an entirely different story. Playing a good aide is a minefield of political pitfalls for any number of reasons, most of them not even related to your PC most of the time.

As for The Atrium, on an IC level joining it and getting training in it is supposed to be highly desirable. In reality, you don't need it. If you are a good player who shows up, interviews well, stays alive, stays available, stays useful, and doesn't do anything stupid you are a thousand times more valuable than anyone with Atrium training who doesn't do those things. I will hire -that- guy over the Atrium graduate who doesn't interview as well every single time.

It's an IC vs OOC issue. IC'ly you have to pretend Atrium graduates are more desirable, OOC'ly what you REALLY want as an employer is a good player who can stay alive and stay useful.

I suppose if you can land "both" that would be double plus good. *shrug*

My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Belraina

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Agreeing with Ren.
It's None of My Business What You Think of Me

Jherlen

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
I'd say rather than making a character aimed specfically at joining House Whatever, just make a character with a generally acceptable aide-type background and go looking for jobs in game. Setting your sights on one particular clan may leave you disappointed for any number of reasons, such as the clan being full, the leader not playing when you play, the leader PC deciding he doesn't like you because you accidentally offended him, and so on.

The Atrium exists to match aides with clans/nobles who need them, so you could also join as an unsponsored student and let them find you a match. If you're newer to the whole aide / noble scene in general, it's actually not a bad idea to go there. There's plenty of stuff you'll learn ICly that will make you a better aide, and it will help you to know how to be the good player who stays useful and doesn't do anything stupid that Desertman mentioned above.
subdue thread
release thread pit

650Booger

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
thanks for the input everybody!  definitely putting this on the short list of future characters.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

WarriorPoet

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »

And tresses. Every successful aide has had tresses.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Jingo

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »

And tresses. Every successful aide has had tresses.

Nah consider making a mudsex describer. You don't need a functioning personality. You just need to describe mudsex.

Failing that, go for ye olde split personality. Bubbly-->Sociopath-->Bubbly.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Renenutet

• Storyteller
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Ha! You're all adorable.

As it was a new player that started the thread, I want to point out that jokes aside, mudsex, tresses and sexy descriptions are not required for aides. It is also worth mentioning that aides can be as gritty a role as almost any other. While it may take more work and dedication to make aiding gritty, it can definitely happen.

Jingo

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 06:25:57 PM »
Ha! You're all adorable.

As it was a new player that started the thread, I want to point out that jokes aside, mudsex, tresses and sexy descriptions are not required for aides. It is also worth mentioning that aides can be as gritty a role as almost any other. While it may take more work and dedication to make aiding gritty, it can definitely happen.

I frankly beg to differ. Players at the moment seem to be allergic to any level of conflict and will shut down any attempt stray from the given aide template.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »
There's a couple reasons why warriors make the best aides.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Desertman

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »

Subdue makes the mudsex more kinky for sure.
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

nauta

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »

Subdue makes the mudsex more kinky for sure.

Protip: While 'subdue' will cause you to drop items in your primary and secondary hands, once you have your victim subdued, you can still pick up the whip with 'get whip' and then wield it.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Inks

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 08:35:51 PM »

This was pretty good.
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Nergal

• Producer
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »
Asked and answered.