Author Topic: Semaphores  (Read 2017 times)

nauta

Semaphores
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
Here are some questions about non-verbal communication in Zalanthas.  How do you roleplay them, e.g., a 'fuck you' gesture?

Are there hand gestures that are anachronistic? 
  - A-OK symbol?
  - Middle Finger?
  - Fist Bumps?

Are there Zalanthan alternatives? 

Are there certain words that are anachronistic (even if the gesture is not)?

- Facepalm, thumbs up, fist bump, the bird?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Lizzie

Re: Semaphores
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
It depends on who I'm RPing with. I tend to be more genre-friendly if it's with *players* I'm not familiar with, and more "casual real-world fun" with *players* I'm comfortable with. In mixed company I try to lean more toward the genre-friendly.

So - if I'm hunting with a clannie, and I've RPed with that player in the past and we have a comfortable sort of synchronicity when we're gaming together, I might "emote woots and reaches out to ~dood for a flying fist-bump."

If I'm with a whole Byn crew I'd rather not set that kind of example (this goes back to: you should understand what the rules are before you set out to break them) and instead, I might smack my blade against my shield and shout out an ululation or some kind of thing.

In summary, use of obviously anachronistic terms/actions in game is something I'd only do for the OOC amusement of the players involved. If I'm not comfortable/familiar with the players involved, I'd usually avoid it. If other people are unfamiliar with me, I'd also prefer for them to err on the side of caution at least at first.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Jihelu

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
I'll usually emote a thumbs up or nod or some shit.

Otherwise I'll sneer, frown, give other ways to express displeasure.
Or you know.
Just "fuck you" works.

Handshakes have always struck me as odd ic but I'll do them.
Fist bumps are for your 'hella bffs' and shit...and with me hating everyone I don't do them hella often.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
It depends on who I'm RPing with. I tend to be more genre-friendly if it's with *players* I'm not familiar with, and more "casual real-world fun" with *players* I'm comfortable with. In mixed company I try to lean more toward the genre-friendly.

This is basically how I handle it too.

If I'm amongst strangers, I'll usually keep it more formal and descriptive. Instead of "middle finger" and "thumbs up" I might go with "shoots a rude gesture %target way" or "emote flashes an affirmative hand gesture." The message is the same, but the implementation is up to whatever interpretation suits the reader.

If I'm amongst friends though, I might let my guard down and try to have more fun. Not just with gestures, but other stuff that verges on breaking the fourth wall. Juxtaposing tv & movie quotes into my says, or offering emotes that have an OOC joke in them. "emote glares at ~target with an intense focus usually reserved for one trying to explode heads with their mind!"
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

BadSkeelz

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
I just want to go on record here and state that the "crotch-grabbing" gesture is attested at least as far back as Herodotus' Histories.

Quote from: Paraphrased Histories
As Pharaoh implored his troops not to desert, reminding them of their families at home, one of the mutineers turned around. Grabbing his crotch, the soldier told Pharaoh, "So long as we have this, we will always have families."

I try and restrict my gestures to things that could have conceivably developed independently in Zalanthas. Fist bumps are fine. The "OK" gesture is not, since it has some relationship to literacy. Middle fingers, V-signs, biting thumbs, and other rude gestures I'm almost always OK with since the meaning usually gets across.

A lot of the time I resort to describing the meaning of the gesture rather than the gesture itself, as I don't want to get bogged down in the mechanics of holding my hand out, tilting it from side to side when I just want to make a "So-so" gesture.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »
Put the tip of your thumb up visibly between the middle and ring fingers of your closed wrist. This was an offensive sign in ancient Rome taken to symbolize genitalia.

hyzhenhok

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
The easiest solution: I think it's perfectly fine to take things up a level of abstraction when it comes to cultural gestures. Surely there are widely known gestures for all sorts of things--insults, obscenity, threats, taunts, approval, disapproval, etc. In my experience no one is going to bite your head off if you emote something like "@ makes a rude hand gesture at ~man."

seidhr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:06:15 PM »

We would really prefer that people keep modern anachronisms and so forth out of the game.

Also, while it is fine to have an IC inside joke, it is kind of borderline to have an OOC inside joke that you bring into the game.   :)

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
While I'm not someone who is going to jump on other people for using non-Zalanthan words to communicate OOC concepts (things like "fishing" for something in a pack, for example), I think taking modern gestures is a little too far.

That said, what's modern?  A fist-bump isn't modern.  A handshake, not modern--it's how you show you have an empty hand and don't have shit up your sleeve to stab guys with, while also giving them power over your dominant hand.  I mean, there are carvings from Ancient Greece of people shaking hands.  Giving someone the finger and other rude gestures, not very modern in my opinion.  But if I see someone doing a celebratory whip and nay nay or whatever it is the kids do these days,* I'm going to get OOCly annoyed.

*I'm old.

Jihelu

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »
em whips

em then nae naes

Culinary Critic

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »
I just want to go on record here and state that the "crotch-grabbing" gesture is attested at least as far back as Herodotus' Histories.

Quote from: Paraphrased Histories
As Pharaoh implored his troops not to desert, reminding them of their families at home, one of the mutineers turned around. Grabbing his crotch, the soldier told Pharaoh, "So long as we have this, we will always have families."

Code: [Select]
Gaze fixed on the rudely gesturing soldier as #me extends ^me hand towards ~bodyguard, the dark-eyed Templar says to the burly, half-giant bodyguard]
  "My knife.  The small one."

Back on topic

I tend to do far more of the less in-genre emoting when I'm soloing:
em peels the hide from the poor, dead, blood-seeping, mangled-up, once-living-breathing-loving creature, not once considering the life that #me has taken, the baby raptors left motherless, the future left unfulfilled

Or when the scene in general is really light-hearted and goofy.  Or during mud-sex.

Classclown

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:19 AM »
I think people nod more than anything else in the game or wave...a lot. I don't think I really wave or nod as much irl as I've waved or nodded ig.

Tuannon

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:52 AM »
In 2004 the Scorpions spent a bit doing a semaphore system, but there is no point using it when you would actually need to.

Iiyola

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
In 2004 the Scorpions spent a bit doing a semaphore system, but there is no point using it when you would actually need to.
The Akai Sjir had a great deal of hand gestures too.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

SmashedTregil

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »

We would really prefer that people keep modern anachronisms and so forth out of the game.

Also, while it is fine to have an IC inside joke, it is kind of borderline to have an OOC inside joke that you bring into the game.   :)

I'm still proud of how I managed to uhh seamlessly include the quote in my sig.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."