Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 22700 times)

Rathustra

• Administrator
Stellaris
« on: May 08, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »

Stellaris is an upcoming 4X grand strategy video game being developed by Paradox Development Studio. Gameplay in Stellaris revolves around space exploration, managing an empire, and warfare and diplomacy with other spacefaring civilizations. It is set to be released on May 9, 2016.

Game Website|Steam Page|Game Wiki|List of Twitch Streams

'Cinematic' introduction trailer:

Released tomorrow, Stellaris takes Paradox 'grand strategy' to the stars, offering galaxy-level 4X gameplay.

Features:
  • Species/civilization design -  from their physical qualities to their ethos as a planetary civilization and then choose a government to take them to the stars.
  • Huge explorable galaxy - Explore a vast, randomly-generated galaxy of up to 1000 stars using one of three different methods of faster than light travel. Colonize, terraform and develop solar systems to suit your civilization's needs.
  • Military and political gameplay - Match wits with numerous other alien civilizations in space warfare or complex, nuanced political maneuvering. Form alliances, federations or force foes to submit to vassalage in your quest among the stars.
  • Detail and feature-rich gameplay - discover primitive species and uplift them to the stars, study pre-solar civilizations from afar (or abduct and experiment on them more directly), play god with your species through genetic engineering, design ships in detail, manage construction of colonies and maintain your various leaders.
  • Tech-tree free technology system - Develop your civilization's scientific base without the restrictions of tech-trees, finding a different route to super-science with each play-through. Or steal the knowledge of others through force, subterfuge or diplomacy.
  • Non-static, adventure-filled galaxy - Discover the ancient marvels of ancient empires, pursue mysteries and adventures throughout the galaxy (with choices contextualized to your species' ethos and government) and be destroyed by the Pandora's Box you inevitably open.
  • Dynamic multiplayer - up to 32 players able to play simultaneously on an improved multiplayer platformed (goodbye desynch!). Players are able to drop in and out of their empires, replacing or being replaced by AI governance as needed. All features of the single-player mode are present in multiplayer, allowing for galaxy-spanning stories stretching across centuries of game time.

Likely dwarfed by other imminent releases, Stellaris offers something a little slower-paced and perhaps grander in scale. The potential for role-play, storytelling and 'just one more turn' seems immense and I've recently hastily made a pre-order so I can get in on this and pretend to be a space emperor.

With enough interest I plan to try and host a persistent server at the same time each week, for about three hours at a time for people to drop in and out of as big of a game as I can produce. A thousand stars and as many factions as will fit without overcrowding. The goal will be to run the galaxy to completion - for better or worse. Hopefully with a little storytelling and role-play involved too!

Bonus Content:
- All the options for your alien species' appearance. (Notice the fox, cat and platypus people.)

Jingo

Re: Stellaris
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
But does it have space whales?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

There are space snapping turtles. So I mean they come close. But there -are- space-dwelling creatures that you can discover, study and harness to whatever ends fit your civ's particular tenancies.

QuillDipper

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
I've been looking into this a lot and I personally am very excited to grant AI rights and uplift every primitive i find
Part-Time Internets Lady

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
Looks p cool.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
Already pre-ordered.

Would definitely be up for a regular multiplayer game with GDB peoples, if someone wanted to arrange/host.

Tuannon

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »

There are space snapping turtles. So I mean they come close. But there -are- space-dwelling creatures that you can discover, study and harness to whatever ends fit your civ's particular tenancies.

There are space flumphs that you can tear the noodly appendages off and stick on your own ships. I mean come on.

Pale Horse

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »
I've got it on pre-order.

Can't wait to download, tomorrow.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Desertman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
Will probably get.

What's the multi-player like?
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Esadal

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »
Saw this, gave it a quick glance, and now I'm all primed and ready for release day.
How about a scavenger hunt?

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:41 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh....
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Tuannon

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:07 AM »
Let's volunteer Rathustra for being in charge of all Zalanthian naming conventions, I'm trying to adequately deal with making various factions workable without being EXACTLY alike aside from colours.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:56:41 AM »
Will probably get.

What's the multi-player like?

The game seems to feel a lot like a turn-based strategy game, but is technically real-time in that each turn (day) ticks automatically at a rate that you can slow down or speed up. I imagine the situation is the same in multiplayer, with the game speed being set based on majority vote. So it can slow down when there's lots of choices to be made and sped up when there's less on your plate.

Combat is handled in a RTS-style manner - you form fleets from individual ships and can move them around/between systems and have them engage enemy fleets or attack structures/planets. Different weapons deal different amounts of damage to different defense methods - so shields absorb lasers, lasers ignore armour, torpedoes pass through shields, autocannons deal equal damage to shields and armour, etc. This means you can be rewarded for designing ships to counter the designs of others - which will certainly come into play in multiplayer.

Diplomacy and politics is partially 'out of your hands' as in other Paradox games. Your civ won't like it if you adopt incompatible policies, your ability to wage and maintain wars depends on your government, policies and war 'aims'. Unless you're a dictator, you'll have to deal with your leader changing now and then in a semi-random way as the population elects new leaders and even with dictators you might have to deal with your new heir being an inbred dolt. In multiplayer you'll have to actually negotiate and communicate with other players when designing alliances,federations, trade deals and the like - and watch your back for betrayal! Players can also be conquered and turned into vassals of other players - but there is always the chance at liberation!

Armaddict

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »
Pre-ordered it a bit back because Paradox.

I will play the shit out of this, pretty sure.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Tuannon

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 06:38:45 AM »
Rough work so far, but I found a race builder. Not sure if it's on the level, be careful at work and so on.

http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/?version=1&name=%22Allanak%22&ethoses=1,9,14&government=1&traits=3,7,26

http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/?version=1&name=%22Tuluk%22&ethoses=5,9,14&government=1&traits=15,18,21

Caveat: I'm mostly basing these on the public misconceptions of both cities.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:41:41 AM by Tuannon »

Akaramu

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »
Watching a LP for it. Looks cool!

lordcooper

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 06:44:34 AM »
I'm counting the hours until release.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Tuannon

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »
I'm counting the hours until release.

6 hours or so.. 4 gig download on this internet, so should be ready this time next week.

Ath

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »
I really want this one, but I just picked up Overwatch. :(  I really enjoy games like these.  Blargh.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Pale Horse

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I really want this one, but I just picked up Overwatch. :(  I really enjoy games like these.  Blargh.

Hey, Ath.  What's your steam handle?  I'll gift it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Ath

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
No, that's alright.  You don't have to.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Tuannon

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
Downloading it now.. I'm probably not going to be actually playing it until (later) in the morning, but I figure I should be ready to go in 2 hours.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »
Downloaded and ready to go, but I've got to do homework, argh!

Jingo

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »
Downloaded. I'll be eating nothing but rice for the rest of summer.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »