Allanaki Bards And House Fale

Started by Barsook, April 30, 2016, 11:18:24 PM

Does House Fale basically have a monopoly over the bardic art in Allanak?  Or is there more room for indes?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I've been an independent bard in Allanak before, but you're solely at the mercy of the generosity of passing folks. Back when I played them I would actually get quite a bit of money compared to what you might expect, but I probably wouldn't try a non-human one.

Not quite sure what you are asking, but my rinther (who lived her life in the rinth) got hired to do poems by templars and nobles alike.  Not perform them, mind you.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Lore-wise there should be plenty of independent musicians in the city.

Some players seem to have the idea that all bards ought be regarded as potential traitors because of the privileged place of northern bards, but personally I think this is kinda stupid and reductive.

If someone calls you a traitor for liking bards go point them to the fucking mural that depicts a bard.

Quote from: Jihelu on May 01, 2016, 06:16:17 PM
If someone calls you a traitor for liking bards go point them to the fucking mural that depicts a bard.
Erm... well.... about that bard...
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

If it's not in the docs/helpfiles, then it's just a current PC trend. If Fale has been hiring more bards than other Houses lately, maybe they're just utilizing bards better. Or maybe it's just a fun house to play in. Who knows. But there have been plenty of bardic PCs Allanak that didn't work for Fale. I've even played one!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

May 02, 2016, 12:39:43 AM #7 Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:51:28 PM by IAmJacksOpinion
I'd say "no" because it would be fucking ridiculous to even think all bards need to be affiliated with Fale. That being said, if anyone would be hiring bards it would be them. If you're trying to do an indie bard and you're feeling pressured to join Fale, its because there aren't enough PCs around to represent the world properly. The unfortunate thing about low player base is that you can't even play a beggar without getting job offers for no reason other than "Hey look, it's a player!"
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

With House Kadius being the GMH most apt to cater food and drink to the upper crusts of society I would be inclined to believe that they would also have a bard or two on the payroll officially or on a contractual basis to provide entertainment when requestd...dunno, just my two sid

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 02, 2016, 12:39:43 AM
I'd say "no" because it would be fucking ridiculous to even think all bards need to be affiliated with Fale. That being said, if anyone would be hiring bards it would be them. If you're trying to do an indie bard and you're feeling pressured to join Fale, its because there aren't enough PCs around to represent the world properly. The unfortunate thing about low player base is that you can't even play a beggar without getting job offers for no reason other than "Hey look, it's a player!"

Play a BAD bard. :)

Not play a bard badly, but play one who can't sing in tune or hit all the notes.

Quote from: Barsook on April 30, 2016, 11:18:24 PM
Does House Fale basically have a monopoly over the bardic art in Allanak?  Or is there more room for indes?

There is no official 'circle' for Bards in Allanak, but they fall under jurisdiction of Fale's -interest-, but not necessarily Fale.

Enterprising Fale nobles would likely spread into this area as a rule, by what their role in the city is.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2016, 04:34:47 PM

There is no official 'circle' for Bards in Allanak

Psht. There's Meleth's circle.   
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: WanderingOoze on June 28, 2016, 04:43:01 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on June 28, 2016, 04:34:47 PM

There is no official 'circle' for Bards in Allanak

Psht. There's Meleth's circle.   

At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I guess people don't like the prospect of living under Fale's feet.

But then again, thats how it is with any profession.
Want to go out and make money being a bounty hunter /mercenary? Byn might get pissy at you if you are good, or not at all, or other groups might get pissy at you just because you exist.
Crafting? Hell there are great merchant houses out there that might want their cut if you are doing real well.
Same thing with being a bard. If you are real good at getting and keeping a crowd Fale might want a cut from you or even sign you on depending on your ears/where you're from.
I've found that noble houses are fine with hiring people non professionally for things so thats always an option, whether forced or not.