Author Topic: Is crazy okay?  (Read 3458 times)

Esadal

Is crazy okay?
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
The title says it all!  Is Crazy Okay? 

For ideas for future characters, I was thinking about potentially making one that is..  Partially sane, at best.  Is it alright to roll up this sort of a character?

Along with this, I haven't seen too many insane characters as of yet (still pretty new to this game!)..  How do the people of Zalanthas react to those that might not be 100% in the head?  Do they try to kill them on sight, or is it a more tepid response, like the one we have in current society..  Where they either ignore the insane person, or put them in the hug-jackets?

Thanks in advance!
How about a scavenger hunt?

QuillDipper

Re: Is crazy okay?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »
There's a sliding scale of crazy that I've seen in-game, with varying responses. If you're a breed talking gibberish and grabbing people in the street, there'll be a vastly different public opinion of you than a sociopathic AoD private.

The reason you don't see too many is because rping being mentally ill can be difficult and can certainly stifle social interaction, same as race and origin, so be prepared for that depending on the context of your characters mental state
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:21:15 PM by QuillDipper »
Part-Time Internets Lady

BrokenRomance

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm not that old to the game myself yet, but I've seen people who consider their characters crazy often enough.

I think a real trial with that on Armageddon is the fact what we as players might consider crazy is 100% normal on Armageddon.

So it would depend a lot on what you think is crazy for a character.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:33:17 PM »
Fuck yeah crazy is okay. I encourage it. Everything from cold psychopath to eccentric egomaniac. The schizophrenic man who hears voices but is harmless, or the girl with an insatiable desire to dissect and categorize bugs.

Lots of fun to be had in there. A lot of people keep their crazy shit on the inside, and that makes sense in Arm for survival. But I applaud people who are blatantly, obviously bat-shit crazy.

Jingo

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:10 PM »
Please play eccentric, erratic and unpredictable. Perhaps depressive or unreasonably aggressive etc.

I'd try to avoid actual mental health problems where possible. Quite often it just makes me cringe when someone tries to play someone with a major disorder.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:43:16 PM by Jingo »
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Crazy is interesting, and most people in the world can be considered crazy in one fashion or another, but I think the question is about people who would get checked into an asylum. What really stands out is how you roleplay that crazy. You shouldn't drop the act when a Templar walks by, or be perfectly normal when you're naked with that one PC you get naked with. If you're playing a crazy, then make that a core aspect of who the character is rather than some garnish on top.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Inks

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:08:51 AM »
Yes. Crazy is fine. If RPing an actual disorder like acute paranoia, psychosis etc, I would look up actual videos interviewing mentally ill people, for inspiration. If you get really into a PC with a mental illness and play often it may start to affect your RL state of mind, slightly. For dwarves try to think of focus as an always dominant, specialized OCD, distractions should be minimal that will impede said focus.

I have stored PCs in the past who had overly heavy mental conditions, due to them being depressing to play.

Illnesses like schizophrenia would not make very good PCs, in my opinion, due to be driven by a sane person. Sociopathy, psychopathy, OCD, paranoia, etc. These are all mental illnesses easier to play.

Just don't use "Because he is crazy." As an excuse to PK. "Because my PC feels nothing and wanted his possessions." Would be better. Think about your motivations.

100% What bcw said. You can't drop the act to suit your needs. The illness should be the first thing in your mind when you RP.

If you would rather do whatever you want when convenient for you, just play a normal, healthy, narcissistic PC.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:18:38 AM by Inks »
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Fathi

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
My favourite characters to date have been a merchant with bipolar disorder and a <something else> with severe phobias and disassociative episodes who eventually believed she was being followed by a whole coterie of people only she could see, among other things. Do your homework and it can be a lot of fun. I'd love to see more characters with mental traits that get them in trouble. That's my jam.

Just be consistent with it and remember that 99.99999% of times, it's supposed to be a detriment to your character and you have to stick with it even when it gets you in the shit.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Desertman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »
I may or may not have snuck around as a very stealthy PC once messing with a Runner in the T'zai Byn I knew was a new player via subtle emotes.

They would then sprint back to their compound and tell people, "I swear, someone is following me and I'm scared!"....so on and so forth.

One time she actually convinced a group of other Bynners she WAS being followed and they went with her to walk around the bazaar in Allanak to see "who was messing with her".

After they got there, the basic room echoes of the bazaar got labeled by the group as, "Oh, that's normal around this part of town. You shouldn't be afraid.".

She pleaded with them that, "No! It's someone and something else! I swear!".

They did not believe her.

As soon as the group left her I went back to screwing with her. (I was watching them all the whole time.)

I had forgot about this.

I was her Sergeant.  :)

(And yes, my own people did report ME to ME not realizing they were reporting on ME. The general consensus was, "Yeah Sarge, we think she's just fucking crazy, watch her close."....."I will loyal Troopers/Runners, thanks for letting me know.".....ahahahahahahha.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:43:31 AM by Desertman »
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
I'm in the "crazy is okay" camp.  I've played more than a few characters with legitimate psychological disorders. 

Just ... do your research.  Don't rely on TV to tell you what schizophrenia is like.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
Oh yes. Crazy is definitely ok, but you need to stick with it and deny yourself the luxury of self preservation. My favorite characters have been bonkers, often to their detriment. Taking such a path can lead to very memorable experiences.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Lizzie

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:25 PM »
I've played characters with mental problems (paranoia, obsessive loathing, general OCD), nothing a few Valium wouldn't fix. But as someone who has watched other characters, I can say - from an observer's point of view, I'd much rather see the pathos emerge, than see someone start right out of chargen with it. My reasoning:  I can't see the backstory. The "how did this total nutjob manage to survive this long" story. I'd much rather witness its progression. I'd rather see (or cause, or otherwise participate in) the conflicts and heartaches and overdosing on spice or whatever else that leads to the insanity.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
Related to Lizzie's point, I find it irritating when a character suddenly goes berserk without any prior indication of mental instability. It's very difficult to distinguish from griefing, and I'll probably just kill your PC out of hand before you do any more damage.

The best axe-crazy PC I've encountered was one who was clearly psychopathic after a few days of knowing him, who I knew would eventually snap, but was useful enough to keep around in the meantime. And when he finally did freak out, it was seen as an inevitable outcome of his circumstances. RIP Carak you crazy templar-killing sonofabitch.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Culinary Critic

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 09:22:15 PM »
Crazy is interesting.  Crazy is good.  Crazy is unexpected.

Crazy is not "standing at the bar for seven weeks without saying a word, then suddenly drawing an axe and hacking at everyone in sight, even that huge half-giant".

EVERYONE is unique and interesting and crazy in their own way.  Crazy is special to the individual.

Gemmers are crazy.  Slaves are crazy.  Hunters are crazy.  Who else would do magicks and go out into the wilds and bow and scrape.

BE CRAZY!  (edited: without the axe drawing and hacking at everyone unless that's in character)

But be your own crazy.

Refugee

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »
I've seen a lot of crazy in Arm.  Go ahead and have fun!

Just be okay with accepting the consequences of how others choose to react.  You can't really predict it.

They might be crazy too, after all.

evilcabbage

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »
play an eccentric billionaire playboy.

"eccentric" meaning that, on occasion, you masquerade as a vigilante who beats criminals at night.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Jihelu

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
"my Lord why are you dressed like that"

"I"M NOT YOUR LORD, I"M JUSTICE"

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »

"eccentric" meaning that, on occasion, you masquerade as a vigilante who beats criminals at night.

.... play ... boy?

evilcabbage

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:14:55 AM »

.... play ... boy?

boy, girl...

who's checking?
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Dakota

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »
The title says it all!  Is Crazy Okay? 

For ideas for future characters, I was thinking about potentially making one that is..  Partially sane, at best.  Is it alright to roll up this sort of a character?

Along with this, I haven't seen too many insane characters as of yet (still pretty new to this game!)..  How do the people of Zalanthas react to those that might not be 100% in the head?  Do they try to kill them on sight, or is it a more tepid response, like the one we have in current society..  Where they either ignore the insane person, or put them in the hug-jackets?

Thanks in advance!

The few times I've seen a crazy PC IG... They tend to isolate themselves. Which is what crazy people do anyway. So be prepared. Don't play an already iso-role and have RP that will isolate you even more.
Czar of City Elves.

Lizzie

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
Just remember - whatever brand of crazy you want to play, if it's right out of chargen...

Make sure it's the kind of crazy that would *not* have resulted in your character already being killed over it. That's why I suggest (and really enjoy RPing with someone who does this) coming out of chargen mostly sane, maybe with some minor subtle quirks, and then lead up to insanity through roleplay.

Because if you come out stark raving bonkers from the get go and it's something that'd get your PC killed (like someone who mouths off to templars and publically questions the superiority of nobles, for example), people will wonder why no one killed your character off while he was still a VNPC.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
You can do stark raving mad from the beginning and thrive... in the labyrinth.  ;D

Also probably in the Byn.

Jihelu

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
If you aren't playing a crazy Templar/person in power you aren't playing them right.

This is partially sarcasm.
Only partial.

Esadal

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »
So the general consensus seems to be have a personality quirk that will evolve into the crazy, but don't start off as the end result of said quirk..  I think that's doable!  Thank you all for the input!
How about a scavenger hunt?