Author Topic: How to Roleplay Floristry?  (Read 2672 times)

BrokenRomance

How to Roleplay Floristry?
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
So, I've got no idea how you actually RP some of the things you do in floristry really nicely.

How do you roleplay drying a flower? I mean IRL the only way I know is to stick it between the covers of a book and wait a few months. This doesn't seem possible on Arm because commoners don't have books and it definitely doesn't take a few months.

How do you roleplay making necklaces and things of flowers? Is there a specific part you remove to string the fictional thread through it? Or do you twist them together or something?

How do you roleplay making perfume like... At all? I'd think it was a steeping method but most recipes don't seem to include anything I remotely consider a liquid.

I really like this skill, but I've little to no idea how to roleplay it and feel like I'm spam-crafting because most of the time my method for this is to just not pose at all.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Beethoven

Re: How to Roleplay Floristry?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
I'm not sure about the others, but as for the first one, you could leave the flower there for a while as if it were drying before (or after) crafting it.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »
You can air dry flowers. It probably wouldn't take more than a couple of days or even hours, given the high heat and low humidity of Zalanthas. Of course, when you codedly dry a flower it's only going to take a minute or two, but what if you leave your flowers around, arranged so that they're drying in the air?

For necklaces, you could use the stems of the flowers themselves, or other virtual objects like a piece of string or blade of grass you don't actually have. Quite a bit of crafting recipes rely on these virtual ingredients, in fact. Compare an item's description to what you use to make it, and you are likely to find components that didn't actually "Exist" until you crafted the item.

I'm not aware of just how perfumes are made, but the knowledge is out in the real world somewhere. I often hit up Wikipedia and see what the ancient history of various crafts are and draw inspiration from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_preservation
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:26:25 PM by BadSkeelz »
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

manipura

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
When I'm unsure of the possible techniques for different crafting skills, I Google it.

You can just about always find a how-to that is a decent fit for the game world.  
And like Beethoven (edit: and BadSkeelz) hinted at, just because the actual crafting delay implies a couple minutes of work, there no reason you can't roleplay preparing items and materials beforehand, especially with crafts that should take a fair bit of time.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
^^ that.

Like for stonecrafting, I'll roleplay as if I did most of the prep work in my virtual time, and when I do the actual craft I'm putting on the finishing touches. If I fail, well, I just ruined all those hours of virtual work, too. Alternatively, you can drop things and leave them arranged to indicate varying states of completion, i.e. "A few dried red flowers are here, bound by twine and hanging from a hook."
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Lizzie

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:38:43 PM »
When I dry herbs, I cut them and bind them with twine, and hang them upside down from the ceiling over my kitchen sink. They're usually dry within a few days. I don't live in a desert climate and in fact it's usually ridiculously humid when the herbs are ready for harvest. All of the herbs I grow are flowering herbs. The flowers always turn some shade of brownish/yellowish in the process because I'm not trying to preserve them.

When I preserve flowers, it depends on if I want them flattened or if I want them intact. If I want them intact I put around an inch of borax on the bottom of a shoebox, lay the flowers atop it, and then completely cover them with more borax. Close the box, leave them for a month, and voila - dried preserved flowers. In the desert you'd probably dig a shallow hole in the sand at night, lay them down, cover them, and they'd be dried and preserved from the hot desert sun before the end of the next day. It isn't really a very "realistic" thing to dry flowers with the code we have in Armageddon so you should just come up with your own fantasy idea, however you think will be the most "entertaining" way of doing it for yourself.

If I want the flowers flattened in real life I stick them between two sheets of waxed paper in the middle of a heavy book. Then lay the book down instead of standing it up, and cover the book with more books til you have around 20 pounds of pressure on it. Within a few weeks it'll be dried, but flattened.

Roses can be dried by using the same method I use with herbs. The colors wilt, they're not as vibrant, but reds will still look red and yellows will still look yellow. White dried roses turn dull ivory with brown edges.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:42:09 PM by Lizzie »
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
The wikipedia article that BadSkeelz linked mentions tying them in bundles and things if a "modern" method?

This sounds like the absolute best method for Arm but modern kind of throws me off.

The two old ways are the pressing I mentioned in my first post, and.... water and glycerin. Do we even have glycerin in Arm?

nauta

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
As a florist in Dasari last year, I had the luxury of an amazing boss who read to me some book inside the game on how to make perfumes.

I usually use an oil (virtual, e.g., cunyati oil) to steep the leaves/flowers in, and then leave the vials out for a few days to warm.  Sometimes I RP using only a part of the flower, like its whorl, for the essential scent.

Go wild.  One flavour thing I like to add are little bits of folklore/superstition, at least with perfuming, e.g., the best scents are only under the Black Moon, or from materials picked with the left hand, etc.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

BadSkeelz

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »
The wikipedia article that BadSkeelz linked mentions tying them in bundles and things if a "modern" method?

This sounds like the absolute best method for Arm but modern kind of throws me off.

The two old ways are the pressing I mentioned in my first post, and.... water and glycerin. Do we even have glycerin in Arm?

I think the implication is that the method is in use in modern times, but did not necessarily originate in modern times. Ancient peoples weren't stupid. If the need is there and the allowing technology is there (wanting dried flowers and having twine, in thse case), people could figure it out.

A lot of what we call "amateur" crafts now can actually be traced back to traditional methods, before technology and industrial scaling became the modern norm.

I try to look at the materials I have to work with, the technology my PC has access to, and devise a method that utilizes both. That's where historical (and modern) craft knowledge comes in handy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:21:32 PM by BadSkeelz »
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »

I think the implication is that the method is in use in modern times, but did not necessarily originate in modern times. Ancient peoples weren't stupid. If the need is there and the allowing technology is there (wanting dried flowers and having twine, in thse case), people could figure it out.

A lot of what we call "amateur" crafts now can actually be traced back to traditional methods, before technology and industrial scaling became the modern norm.

I try to look at the materials I have to work with, the technology my PC has access to, and devise a method that utilizes both. That's where historical (and modern) craft knowledge comes in handy.

Ah. I'll use this method then it seems very Arm-y.

As a florist in Dasari last year, I had the luxury of an amazing boss who read to me some book inside the game on how to make perfumes.

I usually use an oil (virtual, e.g., cunyati oil) to steep the leaves/flowers in, and then leave the vials out for a few days to warm.  Sometimes I RP using only a part of the flower, like its whorl, for the essential scent.

Go wild.  One flavour thing I like to add are little bits of folklore/superstition, at least with perfuming, e.g., the best scents are only under the Black Moon, or from materials picked with the left hand, etc.

Aaah. I like that idea, especially since from my experience so far cunyati oil is far more common that it seems to be at first. Just the actual item isn't really common.

A lot of the time I consider buying really basic materials like it and twine as a sort of RP prop, but then I imagine I'd start to seem very lazy with my poses.

Morrolan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 07:00:15 AM »

"The clear layer is glycerin. You can mix glycerin back in when you make soap. Or You can skim the glycerin off."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »
It ought to be noted that Borax, as mentioned above as a great drying and preserving agent for flowers, can be found IRL in salt quarries. So, I can imagine it would make IC sense to use a certain type of salt for preserving your flowers.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
There is a cunyati oil item that should be relatively easy for a PC with the appropriate skill to make.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Dar

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
The tanning process is another one that should require an extensive amount of time, preparation, tools, constructions, and skill to do. Buuuut ... clearly not so much in Zalanthas.

I cant wait for someone to put out an Urn on the road for passerby people to urinate in. On the premise that urine was used for tanning purposes.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
The tanning process is another one that should require an extensive amount of time, preparation, tools, constructions, and skill to do. Buuuut ... clearly not so much in Zalanthas.

I cant wait for someone to put out an Urn on the road for passerby people to urinate in. On the premise that urine was used for tanning purposes.

There is a PC in Morin's that sells a sachet of urine for bleaching cloth.