Crafting help

Started by justinrigaud, April 23, 2016, 06:27:00 AM

Okay, I have the skill knife making at journeyman and I'm trying to make raptor-tooth throwing knives. I can make them if I have a single raptor tooth, but I cannot seem to figure out how to split a pile of raptor teeth so I have single teeth to craft knives with. Do I need the skinning skill to separate piles of teeth, bones, etc.? Seems to be faulty rp if my pc can't separate a pile of teeth into single teeth. 

uhhhhhh.

hmm...

trying to think if the pile of raptor teeth is the object you need to craft into more teeth, but i do not recall.

i think it is actually a different object you are looking for.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I have the same problem when I kill a Scrab or Chalton and try to separate their legs so I can craft knives out of them.

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 23, 2016, 06:43:05 AM
uhhhhhh.

hmm...

trying to think if the pile of raptor teeth is the object you need to craft into more teeth, but i do not recall.

Quote from: justinrigaud on April 23, 2016, 07:00:15 AM
I have the same problem when I kill a Scrab or Chalton and try to separate their legs so I can craft knives out of them.

Quote from: evilcabbage on April 23, 2016, 06:43:05 AM
uhhhhhh.

hmm...

try getting a higher skinning skill.

that's all i can think of.

I don't have the skinning skill.

i... er... wot?

under manipulation skills?

oh dear.

well, erm.

good luck my friend.

April 23, 2016, 09:28:48 AM #6 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:33:46 AM by Vositus
Ran into the same issue, however I have a decent skinning skill. To my knowledge, the teeth you get from skulls are not suitable for making knives.

With some investigation you can find this out IC, but I hate that answer for things like this. I'll simply say that 'a handful of raptor teeth' should be changed to 'a handful of small raptor teeth' via typo or idea. Just do what the dirty tribals do and wear them in your hair.

Yes, 'a handful of raptor teeth' and 'a sharp tooth' are two different objects.
I ruin immershunz.

Do you need to have skinning in order to separate piles of things, or just be the correct main guild?

i believe skinning is required to actually separate certain piles of things.

I think you can still attempt it without having the skinning skill. 
It's also my experience that you don't have to have high-end skinning to be half-decent at breaking raw materials down into more distinct, separate raw materials.

Everyone can attempt to use the skinning skill, and people with the actual skill on their skills list (type SKILLS in game) will have a greater chance at succeeding than people who don't have it listed.

To the OP: The syntax for these multiple-to-singular things is dependent on the keywords in the item, but the command is CRAFT.

Example:
inv
>You are carrying a pile of lengths of bone.
craft bone
>You think you can produce a few separate types from that.
craft bone into few
>You begin separating the bones.
[wait a few seconds]
>Some of the bones are useless and shatter, leaving you with only a couple.
inv
>You are carrying two short lengths of bone.

And from there you use the 'craft' command to see what you can make out of each singular length or try and string them together like this:
craft length 2.length
or
craft short 2.short
or
craft short 2.bone

By using the keywords (short, length, and bone) you can input whatever's easier for you to type, or if you have a bunch of bone things in your inventory you can isolate only the ones you want by using multiple keywords, like this:

craft short.length.bone 2.short.length.bone

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You improve when you fail. The game is inherently designed to prevent unrealistic skilling-up speeds, but I would just take a break after three to five fails and go talk to folks or hunt. When you're just starting on your crafting, breaking twelve pieces of bone in a row will probably help you as much as breaking six.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on April 23, 2016, 07:34:43 PM
You improve when you fail. The game is inherently designed to prevent unrealistic skilling-up speeds, but I would just take a break after three to five fails and go talk to folks or hunt. When you're just starting on your crafting, breaking twelve pieces of bone in a row will probably help you as much as breaking six.

However, if you are sincerely trying to make a bone widget, and you fail six in a row, don't stop trying JUST because the timer stops helping you improve after 6 tries (or however many tries in however much time). This is why the whole "understanding the code" thing is so stupid and horrible. Because it drives people to do things that don't make sense for them to do, just because the code dictates their improvement of a skill.

If your boss says he needs a successfully completed widget and you want your character to follow orders, then make a successfully completed widget and don't worry about whether or not it'll advance your skill level.

Not everything can be broken into components even with a high skinning skill. However, there are other ways of getting that raptor tooth you are looking for.  You can hunt for it or you can buy it or you could even steal it if you have the skills.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Not sure if this answers your question but if you have 'a handful of raptor teeth' in your hand you just need to use 'tooth' as the keyword to use one. For example: 'craft tooth into a raptor tooth throwing knife' or whatever it is.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Quote from: dravage on April 24, 2016, 10:00:16 AM
Not sure if this answers your question but if you have 'a handful of raptor teeth' in your hand you just need to use 'tooth' as the keyword to use one. For example: 'craft tooth into a raptor tooth throwing knife' or whatever it is.

The OP is talking about two different items, as someone said already (Kankfly maybe?) And as was also mentioned, not every collection of raw materials can be crafted down further into individual pieces.

But yes, if you have more than one of the same item in your inventory (a couple, few, several, some, many) and you are only wanting to use one of them, you only target one.

Right - to reiterate: the phrase "handful of raptor teeth" refers to a singular object. It is not made up of several singular individual "tooth" objects and as such you cannot use the "handful" to produce something you would normally make with a "tooth." One is teeth, one is tooth. Different items that coincidentally come from the same original source.

Quote from: Vositus on April 23, 2016, 09:28:48 AM
I'll simply say that 'a handful of raptor teeth' should be changed to 'a handful of small raptor teeth' via typo or idea.

This. 

What if we had an 'Improving Crafting Life' thread parallel to the Improving Help Files thread to document some of these... quirks?  I know there's quite a few I've come across -- basically things with objects/craft that force you to break immersion to figure out (or worse: each time you do them, you have to suspend your disbelief a bit).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago