And with it, David slew the giant.

Started by fourTwenty, April 12, 2016, 07:26:26 PM

Dear Ginka,

A sling and a slingshot are still not the same thing. In fact, they are vastly different from each other. One is a dangerous weapon. One is a minor annoyance.

Love fourTwenty.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

you can fuck something up with a slingshot fam.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 12, 2016, 07:48:14 PM
you can fuck something up with a slingshot fam.

Maybe so. My point being they are not the same thing. There are certain weapons in game described as a sling but called a sling shot. It irks me.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

They are both dangerous weapons, honestly. But there's nothing elastic enough to make a good one in Zalanthas.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 12, 2016, 08:02:38 PM
They are both dangerous weapons, honestly. But there's nothing elastic enough to make a good one in Zalanthas.
I agree and disagree.
I feel like you could probably find some crazy ass material to make a sling shot out of.
Would it be a vine or something else?
Probably not.

Can confirm: as a newbie, I didn't read the main description, and was using them like slingshots in my emotes for about a year until I joined the Byn and the Sergeant was like: ooc wtf?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziGD7vQOwl8

Skip to about 6:30 to hear all about the sling.

April 14, 2016, 08:34:23 AM #8 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:37:56 AM by Desertman
I have never believed slingshots had a place in Armageddon and I wish they would all be changed to "slings".

There is one slingshot item in game that is described as using oiled vines that have somehow become elastic or some silly shit.

This makes about as much sense as that goofy ass foot-long arrow that's in the game.

I understand it's a game and sometimes playability has to be put before realism, but I really don't think having goofy ass slingshots in the game world where they aren't even a technological possibility based on the materials at hand adds to playability.

Yes, I'm mad bro.

I have had to un-teach Dennis The Fucking Menace Slingshot usage to my underlings at least THIRTY TIMES!!!

I can't tell you all of the names and sdescs of my underlings who stepped up to use a "slingshot" which is actually described as a sling....and they pull this silly shit....

The brown-haired man puts a stone in his slingshot and pulls back on it, taking aim as he holds the handle in his other hand.

Oh no you didn't motherfucker.

NO YOU DID NOT.

I've actually had to OOC SEVERAL TIMES.....(and yes, I used these exact words every time, more or less)

"Hey bud, just a heads up, that's just a wonky sdesc. That's actually a sling. Think David and Goliath, not Dennis The Menace.".

It's an easy fix and they have always fixed it every time, but come on....make it go away.

MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!! - (And please Tek take that foot-long arrow out. Whoever wrote that has never shot a bow in their life, which is fine. No offense. I've never worn a pair a of high-heels myself and so you will never catch me writing some up and putting them in the game because I know I don't know shit about it.)

Every time I see that slingshot and that arrow, I feel like this girl:

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'm going to use only the slingshot now.
Only it.

April 14, 2016, 11:33:16 AM #11 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:35:47 AM by Molten Heart
I'm okay with whatever. Realism is important and so is playability. They could easily be renamed. The crafting recipes for some of slingshots might need to be tweek too, so maybe as easy as just changing some descriptions but I don't see any harm. I just don't want my obsidian swords shattering when I am super drunk and fall on the ground, or even getting into a fight with them.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Ive used a bow before and the arrow I used was indeed about 30cm long(Roughly 1 ft for you imperial nerds) . Give or take a bit and factor in the 'Holy shit I have a bow in my hands let shoot stuff' thing

April 14, 2016, 12:41:21 PM #13 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:44:02 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Hauwke on April 14, 2016, 12:06:36 PM
Ive used a bow before and the arrow I used was indeed about 30cm long(Roughly 1 ft for you imperial nerds) . Give or take a bit and factor in the 'Holy shit I have a bow in my hands let shoot stuff' thing

....This means your draw length would be a maximum of 6 - 8 inches. This is how far you would be able to draw your bow to get force behind your string to fire your arrow.

Even using modern day composite materials and alloys I can't see this actually firing an arrow in any way that would actually damage anything....or even fly very far...

If you can find a video of someone firing a 12in arrow to any sort of standard that isn't comical at best I will take it back and stand corrected. I will even dismiss the fact they wouldn't be using Zalanthan era technology.

April 14, 2016, 12:54:31 PM #14 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:56:15 PM by najdorf

My grandfather actually made one of those when I was a child haha.

He carved a slingshot handle out of a 2X4 and then used a bicycle tire inner tube as his "elastic band", and shot a similarly sized 2.5 - 3ft blunt wooden arrow (also homemade) out of it.

He would shoot it off of our front porch in the direction of dogs that would wander into the yard while yelling, "Get-on-outta-heayaaa.".

True story. (He never did hit one of the dogs, he wasn't really trying to I don't think. He was just scaring them.)

Quote from: Desertman on April 14, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Hauwke on April 14, 2016, 12:06:36 PM

....This means your draw length would be a maximum of 6 - 8 inches. This is how far you would be able to draw your bow to get force behind your string to fire your arrow.

Even using modern day composite materials and alloys I can't see this actually firing an arrow in any way that would actually damage anything....or even fly very far...

If you can find a video of someone firing a 12in arrow to any sort of standard that isn't comical at best I will take it back and stand corrected. I will even dismiss the fact they wouldn't be using Zalanthan era technology.

Yeah dont get me wrong I am probably wrong, but the arrow from memory mind you was about a foot long. It was just at a fun park sort of thing and we were only shootin 10m or so at soft targets wasnt proper archery etc.

Quote from: Desertman on April 14, 2016, 01:20:00 PM
"Get-on-outta-heayaaa."

Do we have the same grandfather?

Just to chime in here, if you actually look at the slingshot, which apparently most of these people don't, it is blatantly obvious that it is a sling, not a slingshot.

I'm all for changing the sdescs to say sling, but even being new to the game, I knew off the bat that it was a sling and not a slingshot, so erm, yeah. I figured it was just what they called slings in the world.

Quote from: Kojul on April 16, 2016, 11:56:55 AM
Just to chime in here, if you actually look at the slingshot, which apparently most of these people don't, it is blatantly obvious that it is a sling, not a slingshot.

I'm all for changing the sdescs to say sling, but even being new to the game, I knew off the bat that it was a sling and not a slingshot, so erm, yeah. I figured it was just what they called slings in the world.

There are actually items in game, at least one, that is a 'slingshot'.  Not just because the sdesc says it is, but because it's a carved piece of wood that is a slingshot handle shaped like a Y with some sort of 'elastic vine' incorporated into it.

I think part of the issue people have is that not only are there slings that are inaccurately called slingshots...but there are actual slingshots.

Quote from: manipura on April 16, 2016, 02:48:02 PM
I think part of the issue people have is that not only are there slings that are inaccurately called slingshots...but there are actual slingshots.

If you want actual slingshot that's fine, whatever. But please for the love of god change the sdesc on the obvious slings.

Quote from: fourTwenty on April 16, 2016, 08:07:47 PM

If you want actual slingshot that's fine, whatever. But please for the love of god change the sdesc on the obvious slings.

Yeah, I didn't actually say I wanted there to be slingshots?  I said that people had issues with 1) slings that are inaccurately called slingshots, and 2) actual slingshots, because they are stupid.

I was clarifying for the poster above that the issue actually isn't that people just aren't looking at the item...it's that there is one item with the wrong name, and one item that just doesn't make sense.

Quote from: manipura on April 16, 2016, 09:39:25 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on April 16, 2016, 08:07:47 PM

Yeah, I didn't actually say I wanted there to be slingshots?  I said that people had issues with 1) slings that are inaccurately called slingshots, and 2) actual slingshots, because they are stupid.

I was clarifying for the poster above that the issue actually isn't that people just aren't looking at the item...it's that there is one item with the wrong name, and one item that just doesn't make sense.

I didn't mean you as in you personally. I meant I have no problem if people want slingshots in the game. I'm very whatever on the situation. I am, however, extremely bothered by the slings in game that have a sdesc of slingshot.

I don't expect.it to be changed though. I brought this up once many many years ago. It doesn't seem important enough to spend any time fixing.

I don't think there's a problem with slingshots existing in the game. You can make a slingshot with stone-age materials. It's going to suck, just like slingshots in the game suck. No problem there.

The problem is the confusion between slingshots and slings, both in terms of mdesc/sdesc and in terms of power.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on April 17, 2016, 03:01:41 PM
I don't think there's a problem with slingshots existing in the game. You can make a slingshot with stone-age materials. It's going to suck, just like slingshots in the game suck. No problem there.

The problem is the confusion between slingshots and slings, both in terms of mdesc/sdesc and in terms of power.

I'm curious what stone-age materials are going to be elastic enough to actually be a slingshot?

From Wikipedia:
Slingshots depend on strong elastic materials, typically vulcanized natural rubber or the equivalent, and thus date no earlier than the invention of vulcanized rubber by Charles Goodyear in 1839 (patented in 1844).