Bio Week!

Started by boog, April 12, 2016, 01:34:16 PM

Since suhuy enacted a "change your ldesc week", I think we should have a, "make a bio entry," week.

What do you say?! Can you commit to writing a substantial biography that can help you analyze, reflect, and give goals to your character?!

Let's. Do. This.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I'd urge anyone doing this to try doing a short bio on a recent event in a first-person reflection format. That's what works best for me.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on April 12, 2016, 01:58:29 PM
I'd urge anyone doing this to try doing a short bio on a recent event in a first-person reflection format. That's what works best for me.
First person reflection format?
Example?

"This week I ran into Lord Borsail again. He smelled funny."

I prefer third person - just goes to show that to each your own.

Sometimes little vignettes are cool, mini-stories as extra bio entries to really flesh out an important scene.

I've experimented with a lot of different styles, and what I seem to prefer these days is:

- 1-3 initial bio entries covering background and personality
- Regular "life so far" bio entries that are heavily summarized
- Then if I'm feeling ambitious, I fill in the gaps with "mini story" bio entries that flesh out an important event.

Of course, I've been awful about writing bios, so this is a great reminder. Thanks boog!

April 12, 2016, 02:23:16 PM #5 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:47:16 PM by Nergal
Agreed on the first person.  It really helps!

Some other tips and tricks:

1. You can do:

bio add This Epic Event Just Happened To Me!
~

Then go to the website and fill out the rest of the bio instead of using the clunky in-game tool.  (Plus you can document events on the fly, and then fill them in later when you have time to reflect.)

2. You can point staff to bio entries in your character report, thus keeping what you say in the latter short and precise.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

All the characters I've had that I bothered to do bios for, they have been in the first person and they have been in the form of waying someone important from my backstory. I like this for a few reasons, it keeps my character on track with their original purpose because often the character is somehow related to my characters goals, I get to include all of the characters mannerisms so that when I look back I can remember the smaller details, and lastly if I receive feedback from a character report I often justify the IC change as the character telling me off.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I have like 4 bio entries that are just titles waiting for me to complete. I'm falling so far behind and I need to get up to date so I'm totally getting in on this.... Tomorrow.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Jihelu on April 12, 2016, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: valeria on April 12, 2016, 01:58:29 PM
First person reflection format?
Example?

Example in terms of everything past the initial background.

This is the sole reason I'm so bio-prolific. My characters just reflect to themselves in my down time.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I've always felt bio entries are a better way to give staff insight into a character than solo rp that's probably just being thrown into the dark abyss of nothingness.
Whatever happens, happens.

I don't think I've ever made a bio entry ever.

Second person omniscient is the way to go.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I like first person and it's more inspiring to me, but it often ends up sounding like a diary entry rather than a train of thought, which doesn't seem right for an illiterate PC.

I used to do bios for a few characters a long time ago and got out of the habit.  The funny part is that I always have a stack of stuff in my mind about their current lives, their history, their life before I took control of their life and so on.

So thank you for the inspiration.  I've done three so far today!

Quote from: Beethoven on April 13, 2016, 10:45:41 AM
I like first person and it's more inspiring to me, but it often ends up sounding like a diary entry rather than a train of thought, which doesn't seem right for an illiterate PC.

A psionicist has acquired your illiterate character's brain and is now reading their memories in first person in some weird, FPPOV reexperience.

Does that help?  :D :D :D
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Quote from: Cayuga on April 13, 2016, 05:09:48 PM
Quote from: Beethoven on April 13, 2016, 10:45:41 AM

A psionicist has acquired your illiterate character's brain and is now reading their memories in first person in some weird, FPPOV reexperience.

Does that help?  :D :D :D
That makes for good rp tho :)

"I access minds differently. Sometimes in first person, others in third. Like I'm reading a story"

I'm just trying to get Beethoven to feel better about their choice of narration style. You're not helping!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

If you haven't written a bio yet, you still have 4 days!

Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Also, lots of love to the sweet replies here and nice PMs I've received!
There is only one boog.

I like to add bio's as if a psionist is going to dive into my mind and learn everything about my character.
I add bio's for who they hangs out with, what they talk about, why they talk about it, how they feel about it, how they think the other person feels about it --- what they did and felt before, during and after an event, why they did those things.

I really try to do my best to explain my characters as if a psionist; someone who has the ability to know everything about that character - had the ability to know everything about that character.
... so when they try to confuse and trick me affectively, they can.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I finished some of my bios. Mission complete.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

We have a couple more days to get on this!

Do it! Make your characters have literary flesh since it's unlikely they have extra fat, cos you know, hunger.
There is only one boog.

Also all of my characters have less than 10% body fat because Amos is ripped, bruh

Biographies have always been the bane of my character's.

I've actually sat down and written another.  This thread has inspired me.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.