Red Storm Banking? How about the Sand Lord's tokens!

Started by Bushranger, April 10, 2016, 01:34:11 PM

Quote from: Desertman on April 10, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
*A soft whisper.*

Localized banks.....

If Nenyuk doesn't find Red Storm village lucrative enough to open a branch and coding localized banks might be difficult then I have different idea. The Sand Lord's tokens!

When you find that 1,000 5,000 or even 10,000 coins are too heavy to carry you can put them into the Sand Lord's vault for safe keeping. Just go to the Sand Lord's Keep and outside you'll find someone who will take your coins and give you a token in exchange. A ring with a particular design, perhaps with different colour silt pearls to denote the denomination of the token, which are easy to carry and can even be worn on your finger. When you need the coins you can go back to the Sand Lord's agent and trade in the token for them back (minus a fee for keeping them safe) or you could trade the token rings with other PCs in lieu of coins. I think it's a unique system for Red Storm village and it can be set up with code already established.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

April 10, 2016, 02:17:50 PM #1 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:27:46 PM by Vositus
Man, I have never wanted to play a Stormer more than now.

That being said, I'm not opposed to the idea of localized banks, but what they hell happened to this game being a struggle to survive? Are PCs seriously carrying around 1-10,000 sids on their way too and from Storm? Is grebbing/spice sifting -that- profitable? Should it be?

Edit: wanted, not want.

Quote from: Vositus on April 10, 2016, 02:17:50 PM
Man, I have never want to play a Stormer more than now.

That being said, I'm not opposed to the idea of localized banks, but what they hell happened to this game being a struggle to survive? Are PCs seriously carrying around 1-10,000 sids on their way too and from Storm? Is grebbing/spice sifting -that- profitable? Should it be?
No but tailoring is
Lol
Arm memes rite

But really if you manage to get stable in storm keeping the 100 bonus coins at the end of the week on you starts to add up CRAZY fast

I apologise this is taking the topic a little off, but:

Re: coins in Red Storm/banking:

Isn't there code in the bank system to have the bank store things for you?  You could just use spice as the currency in Red Storm.

Re: making Red Storm more playable:

o What if we got rid of the whole gates-close-at-dusk thing?  I find a lot of the annoyance in Red Storm is that I have to plan to get there in time, and then get stuck inside with no PCs.

o I also agree with Jingo that the northern egress into Red Storm is a touch difficult for playability, with the wild critters and the inexplicably awful storm.  There should be an alternative route, where raiders can wait, into the village.

Just some thoughts.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

The code for having a bank store shit for you is like, one thing and it costs money.
I think

How would creating a whole new token-based money exchange be easier than just copy/pasting Luirs' bank building into the Red Storm market? Fuckin' Morrins Village has a bank. A logging camp that no PCs really ever went to until Tuluk closed got itself a bank because it was more convenient for PCs. Theres no other reasonable explanation for it being THERE.

So, just give Red Storm a bank. It's got spice crews, Salarr right merchants, captains of 10,000 coin vessels, bafflingly rich tailors. There's enough money there for Nenyuk to want to add a bank.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Keep Nenyuk out of Red Storm. Let Red Storm have it's own bank.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

While I like the idea of different banks (and localized banks), Kadius, Salaar, and Kurac all have holdings in Red Storm. There isn't much visible reason for Nenyuk not to be there.

As much as I think it would be cool to see more bartering of goods in trade, it doesn't make sense for Morin's to have a bank and Red Storm to not have one.  As for the OP's idea, I'm not opposed to it, but again, Nenyuk having a bank does make more sense.
Where it will go

I don't think either should have banks. Certainly not global banks

I like the lack of bank, as it encourages me to spend my money. With the amount of easy money to be made in Red Storm, we don't need an incentive to hoard it.

Someone should make a poll. Some sort of banking system in Storm, yes or no. I vote yes because sure, we don't want to make it even easier for rich indies, but Nenyuk or an independent financial group has every reason to be there.

I'm the sort of person who'd prefer for there to be no infallible banks at all. Got money? Better guard it well.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I'd be down with that if we had denominations and money didn't weigh so gorram much.

That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how hard that is to code. A creative person might do as people have done historically, and 'store' his wealth in other objects, like jewelry. I've seen some people use mount tickets before, and it seemed like a very neat way of handling this situation.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Delirium on April 10, 2016, 04:54:43 PM
While I like the idea of different banks (and localized banks), Kadius, Salaar, and Kurac all have holdings in Red Storm. There isn't much visible reason for Nenyuk not to be there.

IIRC, Kadius, Salarr and Kurac helped rebuild Red Storm after it was destroyed/covered in silt by a meteor strike and that's the IC reason explaining their compounds there.  From a game standpoint, the IC reasoning doesn't really matter, it just needs to plausibly exist. Red Storm's gritty nature is diminished the more conveniences, like a bank (especially a branch of a global/world bank), are added.

Something that might make for a cool addition to a Red Storm bank is an addition of safe deposit boxes. For example if someone comes in and rent a box for say 200 coins, they can fill it up with whatever, "no questions asked". Then if someone else shows up with the key at some later date, they could pay a 200 coins fee (or something) and gain access to the deposit box. But really that's something a coder would need to have an inclination and time and energy for.

I like Red Storm because it is different than other locals. I'd rather Red Storm keep as much of it's uniqueness, even if that means getting rid of existing inconveniences to make it more like the rest of the game world.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Not so long back I played a raider in Red Storm. Eventually you find yourself wealthy with nowhere to put it just from people beetles eat.

This is ideal. It encourages grittiness and a spice habit, theft, using wealth for plots and equipment, and becoming a target yourself. There should never be a bank in Storm. I absolutely hate the idea of people going to Storm to buy something without carrying those coins on their person. Not just for raiders, but in general, lack of banks just works there.

Storm for me, along with the Rinth, are the Arm I love.

April 11, 2016, 06:44:54 AM #17 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:50:24 AM by The Silence of the Erdlus
Allanak is the Arm I love, with an occasional intermission of Storm.

Storm's wonderful. I think if we want to keep it 'small' down there, like an actual village and not like a miniature city-state, then the GMH warehouses should close down for 'lack of business.' Except the Kurac warehouse--- open five out of nine days of the week because they can't afford to be open more than that. Like a real small town.

In OOC convenience compensation, we could have another stall for general goods open, and a stall that sells low-end spice accessories like some of all those types of pipes a couple of different kinds of spice pouches. It always irked me that the only pipe available was the clay pipe. But that could be an indication that its a small town too. Also, there's only one small pouch available for sale from Kurac every reboot, which didn't make sense to me. Perhaps they expected people to have pouched belts or pockets.

I mean one as in a single pouch, not a single kind of pouch.

Pipes are a player run economy in storm.

Don't close down any shops in storm. Adding one or two that fit a village theme would be good.

I don't care if it has a bank or not. I think Storm is fine as is. It has a lovely set of things to use and do.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

With the closure of Tuluk the idea of localized banks is a more viable and less "jarring" prospect than ever.

I've been advocating the idea for years now.

While I ALSO personally always liked the idea of Allanak and Tuluk having different currencies, I don't think that's a concern we need to go into right now since Tuluk is....taking a breather.

For those of you who do not know what "Localized Banking" means, it means that the bank in Allanak does not have access to your funds in Luir's, and the bank in Luir's does not have access to your funds in Allanak.

The same would go for any bank that got put into Redstorm obviously.

This means that when you want to travel from once city to another city to make a large purchase or you want to actually move to a new city to live, you have to actually arrange transport for your funds through the desert. (Or just take it yourself all quick and quiet like, which is more risky of course.)

It adds an entirely new layer to the economy, and also helps to make the world seem a lot bigger in the mind's eye.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I would be all for every bank being localized, for sure. I would totally be up for Storm banking then.

Yeah, if players actually have to start hauling their money around to make purchases I would really consider playing a raider.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on April 11, 2016, 05:07:45 PM
Yeah, if players actually have to start hauling their money around to make purchases I would really consider playing a raider.
If anyone is near storm or heading to or from, they either have clothes for days on them or money.
Go for it friend.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 11, 2016, 05:11:13 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on April 11, 2016, 05:07:45 PM
If anyone is near storm or heading to or from, they either have clothes for days on them or money.
Go for it friend.

My next character very well might.
3/21/16 Never Forget