How to get work as a newbie?

Started by Radioactive, April 03, 2016, 01:43:34 PM

I've spoken with a few very helpful helpers they all seem too point me towards the T'zai Byn. I've looked into that clan and to me it seems like it just doesn't fit the climate of the character I was going for(he's sort of a sneaky type). I was wondreing if anyone could give me tips on finding work outside of the T'zai Byn as a total noob that wouldn't kill me after just 1 hour of playtime. It doesn't necessarily have to be getting work within a clan either, I'd also like tips on how to establish contacts with individuals even though I'm a total noob and they probably know this.

Quote from: Radioactive on April 03, 2016, 01:43:34 PM
I've spoken with a few very helpful helpers they all seem too point me towards the T'zai Byn. I've looked into that clan and to me it seems like it just doesn't fit the climate of the character I was going for(he's sort of a sneaky type). I was wondreing if anyone could give me tips on finding work outside of the T'zai Byn as a total noob that wouldn't kill me after just 1 hour of playtime. It doesn't necessarily have to be getting work within a clan either, I'd also like tips on how to establish contacts with individuals even though I'm a total noob and they probably know this.
The Byn will hire pretty much anyone save magickers.  They don't care if you're an assassin guild, ranger guild, pickpocket whatever (class guild wise).

But they will lose their shit if you try to stick your knife into someone's eye with a backstab or something and you're training.

The Byn is a good role and recommended role for a newbie because their schedule pretty much forces you to at least be livable combat wise, and you will get more from them, than they get from you in most cases.

As for other groups, I don't know of too many that are out there outwardly advertising, I need a thief, I need an Assassin, but those roles can work passably as a hunter for Salarr or Kadius, a soldier in the Kuraci Fist etc etc.

Best way to find out who to contact is to look at the boards in the bars, get names and descriptions from there to CONTACT them.  And then arrange interviews and such icly.

Plus you could always just make friends/acquaintances with randoms you run into.  Being that this is a roleplaying game, most people will want to interact with you, but be warned, they very well may aim to kill you and leave you in a gutter as well.  Welcome to Armageddon.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Being a "sneaky type" is a hard role to jump in to from the get-go, even for veterans.  It takes a good knowledge of how the crim-code and stealth skills work at different levels to not get yourself killed.

If you're looking for any sort of work, try your hand at the many different "grebber" work-types available.  You can attempt to mine obsidian and haul the chunks back to the mining offices within Allanak for pay.  This has it's risks, as there are creatures out in the desert and if you look like a soft target, you could end up being robbed of your hard work.  Salt gathering is also a viable method for making a living, but you have the same dangers.  Creatures and raiders (other PCs).  There's few completely safe methods of making coin as a grebber.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 03, 2016, 01:56:23 PM
Being a "sneaky type" is a hard role to jump in to from the get-go, even for veterans.  It takes a good knowledge of how the crim-code and stealth skills work at different levels to not get yourself killed.

If you're looking for any sort of work, try your hand at the many different "grebber" work-types available.  You can attempt to mine obsidian and haul the chunks back to the mining offices within Allanak for pay.  This has it's risks, as there are creatures out in the desert and if you look like a soft target, you could end up being robbed of your hard work.  Salt gathering is also a viable method for making a living, but you have the same dangers.  Creatures and raiders (other PCs).  There's few completely safe methods of making coin as a grebber.

I've realized that it's a tough role after the character was made unfortunately.

I'm assuming that it would be hard to train my skills as an assassin then? That is sort of the reason why I posted this thread because I've sort of wanted to find a way to safely train my skills while still fitting into my sneaky role.

I highly encourage you to try a clanned role, but keep in mind there are those of us who don't really like traditional clan roles either.  So we do as Pale Horse said and play the "Indy" type or work loosely for different official organizations.

Don't get caught up in the whole, I need that clan to be in my score window to work for them.  I have been coded in a clan and have had outsiders who work for the clan be placed in charge of me, by my clan head because they were better than me or more experienced.

The coded is less important than the relationships and such.

<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: Radioactive on April 03, 2016, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: Pale Horse on April 03, 2016, 01:56:23 PM

I've realized that it's a tough role after the character was made unfortunately.

I'm assuming that it would be hard to train my skills as an assassin then? That is sort of the reason why I posted this thread because I've sort of wanted to find a way to safely train my skills while still fitting into my sneaky role.

Well keep in mind too that as it's been said a ton of other places, you learn from failing.  So for sneak and hide, lots of times it's just failing horribly at sneak and hide for a long period of time, till you don't suck too much.

But expect people to treat you funny, the militia to shake you down, the templars to get pissed if they witness it etc.

Sneaky guilds are super hard to get going, but once you do, because the stealth code is sorta OP (My opinion) you become a wisp of vapor whenever you want.

As for Backstabbing if that's a concern, You are able to backstab critters in the desert without immediate staff ire from a recent post (Years ago you would get yelled at).  But just roleplay it, like if you go to backstab (which is really just a critical strike, not a real stab to the back) a chalton, I would at least emote sneaking up on it or attempting to get into position.  This way you don't just present BACKSTAB CHALTON, BACKSTAB CHALTON, BACKSTAB CHALTON over and over when they look at you.

Quote from: Asmoth on April 03, 2016, 02:01:35 PM
I highly encourage you to try a clanned role, but keep in mind there are those of us who don't really like traditional clan roles either.  So we do as Pale Horse said and play the "Indy" type or work loosely for different official organizations.

Don't get caught up in the whole, I need that clan to be in my score window to work for them.  I have been coded in a clan and have had outsiders who work for the clan be placed in charge of me, by my clan head because they were better than me or more experienced.

that goes back to my original question. Do you have any tips that could help me establish some of those connections even though I'm a complete noob? I've mostly spent my time in bars and it seems like most people their are either idle or busy doing something else with someone else.

Quote from: Radioactive on April 03, 2016, 02:08:52 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on April 03, 2016, 02:01:35 PM

that goes back to my original question. Do you have any tips that could help me establish some of those connections even though I'm a complete noob? I've mostly spent my time in bars and it seems like most people their are either idle or busy doing something else with someone else.

I would say make yourself useful and don't focus too much on the ME aspect of it.

Make yourself useful, offer up your services, even if it's something your mediocre about and portray an interesting character.

Don't just go, hey, wanna pay me to do something for you?

I would approach it more as to how you do a woman you're trying to show interest to in real life, you don't go up and start asking her for a date first thing, you go in with questions, get her talking about herself, since people love talking about themselves, break the ice and then through the vomit of information you get from X Salarri or Y Kadius, you can start to offer your services.  Play to their ego, talk about how you want to be a part of their organization because OMG it's the coolest thing ever (not exactly like that, but you get it) because people will be more apt to hire you if they feel you wanna be there, not just to get a payday every month.

Be active when you're online, try to avoid over idling left and right and play an interesting character first before your backstab skill or your sneak and hide skill.  Don't ignore your skills but don't be that guy who never talks to anyone but is constantly sneaking in and out of the Gaj.

It's difficult to give you extreme specifics on the GDB because staff doesn't want us getting too IC on here, nudges and suggestions are cool.

Hell, even just looking at the board in the gaj and randomly contacting someone from the board, and manufacturing a reason to pick their mind probably wouldn't hurt.  You'd be surprised what info that name that's #? on the board who is still alive might give you.

You could just ask for work, take whatever is offered, and worry about the coded stuff a little later. Once you've developed a relationship with your employer you can bring up your useful talents and ask for help developing them.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/The%20Guild

And there is an actual coded criminal type organization in game,, though I have never experienced it, maybe something to work towards?

DOn't go to the rinth on your first character.

If you want to be in a coded clan the Byn is probably your best option, yet it is not your only one. Sometimes the merchant Houses will hire stealthy types, yet you end up being a hunter and in my experience assassins/sneaks make poor hunters unless they can stick with ranged weapons from a distance. Not sure if you have a subguild that allows this.

You could also find work for clans, yet not as a clan member.  You might greb or hunt for them, or make yourself useful to a Templar or the militia. Sometimes independent merchants and such are also looking for help.

If you hang about the Gaj long enough and make yourself known, you will meet a few sneaky types, who might also be able to take you under their wing. There are enough of them there. You would be surprised how many upstanding folks have regular need of a sneaky thief. You may even rise to become a trusted aide.

If none of this works, then come on back and ask again.

Cheers
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on April 03, 2016, 05:20:41 PM
If you want to be in a coded clan the Byn is probably your best option, yet it is not your only one. Sometimes the merchant Houses will hire stealthy types, yet you end up being a hunter and in my experience assassins/sneaks make poor hunters unless they can stick with ranged weapons from a distance. Not sure if you have a subguild that allows this.

You could also find work for clans, yet not as a clan member.  You might greb or hunt for them, or make yourself useful to a Templar or the militia. Sometimes independent merchants and such are also looking for help.

If you hang about the Gaj long enough and make yourself known, you will meet a few sneaky types, who might also be able to take you under their wing. There are enough of them there. You would be surprised how many upstanding folks have regular need of a sneaky thief. You may even rise to become a trusted aide.

If none of this works, then come on back and ask again.

Cheers

I think in theory falling under someones wing is ideally what I would like to go. Thanks for the advice their.

It's very hard to casually mention to someone "Heyyyy I sneak good please help" but you'll find some ways.
Try to think of it realistically.
This isn't Tuluk, so not everyone will be impressed if you are the best thief in the world. If anything they'll try to kill you.

Everyone's an assassin nowadays.

One thing to keep in mind, even as a newbie, is what CAN you do? I can come up with a bunch of things I need done, but its usually "find out who this person is in a relationship with" or "join <x> House as an aide and report to me" sort of things. You need to tell people what you can do, and don't just say "Oh I can stab people a lot because I stab things". Tell them you're interested in kill-for-coin. Can you clean out a stable? Ask the local Merchant Houses if they need someone to sweep up once a week, and you can make your coin from the Dung Seller.

It can be hard to come up with work for someone to do, even if they KNOW what skills you have. Warriors don't always have someone to guard, assassins don't always have someone to kill, and thieves don't always need that quick bump of coin. You know?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The question for me then becomes, how do you get familiar with certain types, like criminals, if being one as a first char is "too difficult"? For that matter, how do you learn anything without just doing it, or trying to, and dying along the way?

Quote from: amyandthepup on June 17, 2016, 02:05:08 PM
The question for me then becomes, how do you get familiar with certain types, like criminals, if being one as a first char is "too difficult"? For that matter, how do you learn anything without just doing it, or trying to, and dying along the way?
You meet people along the way is the easiest way I can describe it.

One time I made friends with a pimp/illegal fella simply because friendly.

Quote from: amyandthepup on June 17, 2016, 02:05:08 PM

Aha!

I believe the answer is, in fact, just go for it!  Don't be afraid to fail, try something new for a bit and come back and try again.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

It's okay to die.  There's a huge turnover rate in characters in what I consider the 'bottom crust,' the nonsponsored nobodies who make up the flesh and blood of Zalanthas.  And that's fine.  Even if you look at it IC, life is short and brutal for a lot of people.

But the best way not to die is to join a clan, follow the schedule, and listen to what your long-lived leader types say.  You'll probably still die in the end, but you'll learn a lot before you go.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.