Wanna Bring The Bardic Fun Back Into Allanak?

Started by Barsook, April 01, 2016, 09:33:59 AM

Quote from: nauta on April 29, 2016, 09:44:37 AM
The upper classes of Allanak are an entirely different matter. Never to be outdone, the nobility of Allanak have reached an appreciation of music so difficult to understand, so outstretched, that many would suspect that the nobles themselves only claim to like it in a vain effort to tout their intellectual superiority over their peers. The music complicated without bounds, with the scale of notation reaching up to 16 different notes. Harmonies are dissonant and lack most, if not all rhythmic structure, as percussion driven music is too often associated with the barbaric tribes of the sands and the common dregs of the city, whereas literate, educated and civilized tastes are seen to be far more "sophisticated". Instruments are often used for the sake of their value, with ornately decorated violins, harps and flutes which are often more pleasing to the eye, than the ear. Music in the upper class is often used as a backdrop to theatrical entertainment instead of dance or song, with heavy themes of political power and presentations of Allanaki history being common.

I love this paragraph.  I can imagine a bunch of Fale and Borsail nobles sitting around listening in earnest to John Cage's 4'33" sipping wine, wearing outrageously hot dresses that don't allow any physical movement, with hair up to the ceiling, while two commoners get stretched out the rack in the background for being all what-the-fuck? about it.

If I'm reading that correctly, it basically says: "Nobles in Allanak are so full of shit they sit around pretending to like what basically amounts to random fucking noise for no reason other than to appear to appreciate something other people can't understand....because to common people it sounds like shit.".

Basically, if you want to be a bard for nobles in Allanak, you have to be Steamy Ray Vaughn.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Xalle on April 29, 2016, 09:36:54 AM
Prompted by this, here's the restored and updated juicy music doc from the old site:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Music%20Theory%20and%20History

THIS IS SO RAD

I'm thinking a little of this through some gaudy mandolin or harp.
https://youtu.be/ZYLaPVi_I2U?t=1m20s

I always figured Allanak "art" to be Avant Garde/Absurdism, with its audience having absolutely no understanding of the genre. Sort of like if Ferlinghetti took the song "Let it Go" from the movie Frozen, played it backward, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance to it while wearing a dinosaur-print terrycloth robe and black-patent-leather Mary Jane shoes, with still shots of WWII photo-shot with celeb faces instead of soldiers, looping on a screen in the background.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Allanaki nobles are hipsters.

That explains everything.

Quote from: Delirium on April 29, 2016, 05:04:53 PM
Allanaki nobles are hipsters.

That explains everything.

I was thinking more on the order of beatniks but okay that works too :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.