Wanna Bring The Bardic Fun Back Into Allanak?

Started by Barsook, April 01, 2016, 09:33:59 AM

April 01, 2016, 09:33:59 AM Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:25:26 PM by Barsook
Then this family role call you is for you!

I'm looking for three more members for this bardic family based in Allanak.   I'm planning to play the youngest son of the family and I seek one or both parents, in their middle ages (CLOSED), and one or two siblings of any gender and any age (both spots taken).  Please note that one of the parents must be a veteran player that knows about the bardic art in Allanak.  All characters must be a of mundane subguild and start in Allanak.

If you want more details or are interested in applying please feel free to PM me.

Allanak needs more bards...

Edit to add: My play times are peak EST to 2 am-ish EST, but some times I'm on earlier.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Mundane subguild*  ;)

Sounds interesting though, sadly I'm in my 'I kinda want to wait for a good magick' idea though.

Thank you!  I forgot.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on April 01, 2016, 09:33:59 AM

I'm looking for three more members for this bardic family based in Allanak.   I'm planning to play the youngest son of the family and I seek one or both parents, in their middle ages, and one or two siblings of any gender and any age.  Please note that one of the parents must be a veteran player that knows about the bardic art in Allanak.  All characters must be a of mundane subguild and start in Allanak.

If you want more details or are interested in applying please feel free to PM me.

Edit to add: My play times are peak EST to 2 am-ish EST, but some times I'm on earlier.
Not meaning to derail this at all, and it's an honest question.  But I thought Bards in Allanak had food and mugs thrown at them, and told to take their stinking ass to the north and play with the pansies?

I never saw any sorta bardic culture in Allanak, ever.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I'd say take a look at the wall and you'll see a story, if you know what it is, that shows bards have had their place in Nak.

Tuluk may take it a step further with it, however.
Everyone enjoys a good song.

Quote from: Asmoth on April 01, 2016, 10:10:26 PM
Quote from: Barsook on April 01, 2016, 09:33:59 AM

I'm looking for three more members for this bardic family based in Allanak.   I'm planning to play the youngest son of the family and I seek one or both parents, in their middle ages, and one or two siblings of any gender and any age.  Please note that one of the parents must be a veteran player that knows about the bardic art in Allanak.  All characters must be a of mundane subguild and start in Allanak.

Not meaning to derail this at all, and it's an honest question.  But I thought Bards in Allanak had food and mugs thrown at them, and told to take their stinking ass to the north and play with the pansies?

You never saw any because the Tuluki infrastructure supported it better, and people prefered playing them there, but there's been the occasional Allanaki bard, and the docs support their presence just fine. Telling people off for being bards is no different than me telling a basketballer to go back to America.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

There's even a bard on the famous Allanaki Arena mural.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on April 01, 2016, 10:42:35 PM
There's even a bard on the famous Allanaki Arena mural.
Thats what I was hinting at but I wanted him to go look himself! ;.;

That's the goal of the role call is to get it live, if there is one.
Fredd-

;D

This sounds like it will be fun! Hope I'm not too late.

You are not.  In fact, you are the first who have PMed about the call!

Thank you!
Fredd-

Naw. That's a misconception based on player ignorance. Allanak has bards, they're just usually not the flowery, long-winded sort. Everyone loves music and a good story.

Both sibling positions are taken, we are still seeking out a parent!
Fredd-

Bards have a longer history in Allanak than they ever did in Tuluk. When Tuluk fleshed out their bardic circles, however, some players misinterpreted this to mean that Allanak must be the default opposite and concluded that there are no bards in the south at all. Bards (minstrels, musicians, etc.) are everywhere. They can be rugged, or flowery for that matter, even in Allanak. This notion that Allanak is some sort of crude and in-your-face culture also came about out of a desire to make Allanak the polar opposite of Tuluk (rather than having derived from any actual documentation on the subject). These things vary and the options are pretty limitless. You may not see bards as a regular course currently, but that doesn't mean they aren't part of the virtual world by any stretch. There probably isn't a single civilization in the Known World which frowns upon music and telling tales by the fire (including gith!) so when you see some Allanaki throwing a mug at someone purely for being a "bard" it's because they don't understand the nature of the game world, regardless of location (and likely come from the same camp who tried to make Allanak into something it isn't just to distinguish it from Tuluk).

I'll totally support this IG if I get the chance. Great timing. Good luck!
Death is only the beginning...

I hope this concept goes a long way, because Allanak can always use more bardic fun.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Thanks for all of your support and our parent role is filled!
Fredd-

I thought Bards in Allanak had food and mugs thrown at them, and told to take their stinking ass to the north and play with the pansies?
If someone forces me to witness their recital in the Gaj, this will happen. You've been warned. Take that shit to the Bards Barrel! :p
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Isn't the Barrel, the one that was burnt down a few in real life years ago?
Fredd-

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 04, 2016, 05:26:54 PM
I thought Bards in Allanak had food and mugs thrown at them, and told to take their stinking ass to the north and play with the pansies?
If someone forces me to witness their recital in the Gaj, this will happen. You've been warned. Take that shit to the Bards Barrel! :p

Thanks, it always helps to have a goal in mind when starting a new PC. I'll find you PC and force him to listen to my... poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPeIiU2kx4

I once had a HG bard that wrote a poem about a booger based on "Ode To A Small Lump Of Green Putty I Found In My Armpit One Midsummer Morning."
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

OMG!  Thank you!
Fredd-

The upper classes of Allanak are an entirely different matter. Never to be outdone, the nobility of Allanak have reached an appreciation of music so difficult to understand, so outstretched, that many would suspect that the nobles themselves only claim to like it in a vain effort to tout their intellectual superiority over their peers. The music complicated without bounds, with the scale of notation reaching up to 16 different notes. Harmonies are dissonant and lack most, if not all rhythmic structure, as percussion driven music is too often associated with the barbaric tribes of the sands and the common dregs of the city, whereas literate, educated and civilized tastes are seen to be far more "sophisticated". Instruments are often used for the sake of their value, with ornately decorated violins, harps and flutes which are often more pleasing to the eye, than the ear. Music in the upper class is often used as a backdrop to theatrical entertainment instead of dance or song, with heavy themes of political power and presentations of Allanaki history being common.

I love this paragraph.  I can imagine a bunch of Fale and Borsail nobles sitting around listening in earnest to John Cage's 4'33" sipping wine, wearing outrageously hot dresses that don't allow any physical movement, with hair up to the ceiling, while two commoners get stretched out the rack in the background for being all what-the-fuck? about it.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on April 29, 2016, 09:44:37 AM
The upper classes of Allanak are an entirely different matter. Never to be outdone, the nobility of Allanak have reached an appreciation of music so difficult to understand, so outstretched, that many would suspect that the nobles themselves only claim to like it in a vain effort to tout their intellectual superiority over their peers. The music complicated without bounds, with the scale of notation reaching up to 16 different notes. Harmonies are dissonant and lack most, if not all rhythmic structure, as percussion driven music is too often associated with the barbaric tribes of the sands and the common dregs of the city, whereas literate, educated and civilized tastes are seen to be far more "sophisticated". Instruments are often used for the sake of their value, with ornately decorated violins, harps and flutes which are often more pleasing to the eye, than the ear. Music in the upper class is often used as a backdrop to theatrical entertainment instead of dance or song, with heavy themes of political power and presentations of Allanaki history being common.

I love this paragraph.  I can imagine a bunch of Fale and Borsail nobles sitting around listening in earnest to John Cage's 4'33" sipping wine, wearing outrageously hot dresses that don't allow any physical movement, with hair up to the ceiling, while two commoners get stretched out the rack in the background for being all what-the-fuck? about it.

This is always how I've imagined Allanaki bards to be. At least, those sponsored by the nobles. You are perfect.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.