Author Topic: Magicker Roleplay?  (Read 4973 times)

RogueGunslinger

Magicker Roleplay?
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
There is so, so much that is not touched on in the help files. It makes roleplaying as a magicker kind of hard, and I've always just made shit up as I went along. I was going to shoot some of these in a question request to staff, but figured maybe there isn't a definitive answer for some of these questions, and maybe players would like to give their input so I'll put it here too.

Here's some questions:

What does a person look like when they're casting.
What it means to be good or bad at magick or a spell.
What makes a spell fail or succeed and what does failure look like?
What does it mean to "lose your concentration"? Does it mean I was distracted by something, or just lost focus?
What does it feel like to be drained of mana or be full.
What happens between a Nil and Un spell(does nil come with cantrips and light-shows or are you uttering a string of words?)
What is the roleplayed reasons for branching new spells or new words and not knowing them beforehand.
Why can't other people hear the words you say when you say them in a spell.(at least I remember it like this, could be wrong)?
How does a spellcaster know all these magickal words in the first place? 

This is a thread for players to give their interpretation and ideas on Magicker roleplay or to ask questions that might be answerable in ways other than "find out IC", I realize due to the nature of magick a lot of this might not be ok to say, so just don't say anything if you're not sure and try not to get into mechanics and be careful about IC info.

Please don't do that thing where you judge, condemn or critique other peoples play.

Fire away.

Asmoth

Re: Magicker Roleplay?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:04:50 PM »

How I've always done it is I try to make it make sense.  So say a spell makes my hair grow longer.  I would emote that my hand was covered in my element and that I  stroked my hair with it, then cast it.  But, only if I had an audience, I don't expect people to write huge emotes while they are alone in their temple or the desert.  Feel free for bonus points, but for me emoting is for the viewer, not me.

I look at this based partially on power level... Wek through Mon, help magick power... But it's deeper than that.  You will notice that even at Mon, spell duration and power varies, I believe that has to do with the skill level of that spell.  But that's all guess work, maybe I'm reading into it.

Lots of things affect spell failure, most of which I can't get into because of IC business, but magick is just like anything else, you learn from failing, it's just a little different because you get a very specific message when you fail that you can't miss.

What does it mean to "lose your concentration"? Does it mean I was distracted by something, or just lost focus?

I've always viewed it as I lost control of the spell and it unraveled suddenly, spoiling itself at the last minute.  But honestly that's up to interpretation.

I roleplay this as mental exhaustion, not being able to concentrate on willing magick into the world.

What happens between a Nil and Un spell(does nil come with cantrips and light-shows or are you uttering a string of words?)

Nil, in my opinion is practicing but stopping on purpose at the last minute.  Feeling the power rushing through you and right before it pops, letting it go.  Useful for damaging spells, so you're not killing each other to practice, which is why I'm so against getting rid of it.

What is the roleplayed reasons for branching new spells or new words and not knowing them beforehand.

That I don't know, I have often times wished I didn't have to go through the help magick mood help magick sphere for multiple times till I unlocked it.  But I guess it's the best way to do it without blatantly telling you it's this and that to do X.

But I also feel that maybe this system was instituted back when the temples were more a grouping of mages, now it's basically just a dorm to store some shit you don't care if it's stolen by your peers.

As for the roleplayed reason, I look at it as a burst of insight or reflex to try something that all the sudden causes me to glow or whatever.

Why can't other people hear the words you say when you say them in a spell.(at least I remember it like this, could be wrong)?

They can in certain instances, but why and how is too much into IC.

For a rogue, that's hard to explain, for a gemmed, they learned from an elder VNPC.

Please don't do that thing where you judge, condemn or critique other peoples play.

Fire away.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

BadSkeelz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
I like exploring each of these differently on an individual character, myself. Variation is good for the theme of magick as an unscientific, elemental force.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »

They look like themselves, with their attention focused on something you can't see.

If you're good at it, you can do it. If you're bad at it, you can't. Not really understanding the point of this question - even professional baseball players don't always get home runs, and no one asks them what it means to be good or bad at it.

Magick is unstable. That's why it sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails. That's also why it's scary. Failure looks like - nothing. But not just "lack of something" but more of a tangible nothing. A failure "sounds and feels" like something cracking or crumbling, like the sound of balling up a wad of tin foil.

The mind-matter connection between you and your element just became momentarily interrupted. Not lost - just interrupted. Like static on your radio when you drive through the mountains.

Being full feels normal, eventually. Being drained depends on the circumstances. In dire situations it feels scary. For one of my characters, it was mortifying at first but eventually she begrudgingly got used to having to gather mana instead of having it just show up for her. Mana, in my mind, is a sort of "essence" of a person.

When you put your will into it, it's un. When you leave your will out of it, it's nil.

You don't know the new spell as soon as you branch it. Your character has to puzzle it out. I sometimes do that - even on mages that I already know the spell list for. But with some spells I just assume she's figuring it out "off camera" when I"m not logged in, and when I do log in the next day I'm good to go. I approach this the same way I approach "improving" a crafting skill, that allows me to make -lower- quality goods than what I was already making before: there's no roleplayed reason - so I just pretend I wasn't interested in making a simple blue linen tunic before, and now I am.

Because whoever coded it thought it'd be more mysterious and spooky that way.

Mine were either taught "off camera" before they existed as a PC, or learn as they go ICly through interaction with other mages or with the NPCs in the temples.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

nauta

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:28:14 PM »
I'm excited that staff will be supplying answers to some of these questions (I think, if I read the release notes right) in help files available to magickers.  Pace Badskeelz, I felt the lack of documentation on the 'what-it's-like' or qualia of magickal casting to be more frustrating than freeing for me.

Here are some discussions on the gdb about some of the topics above:

What does 'mana' feel like?
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,38138.0.html

Role-playing Skillz Branching.
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,14473.0.html
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »

They look like themselves, with their attention focused on something you can't see.

If you're good at it, you can do it. If you're bad at it, you can't. Not really understanding the point of this question - even professional baseball players don't always get home runs, and no one asks them what it means to be good or bad at it.

Let me clarify these questions: What they look like when casting and what I mean by good/bad: How much of casting magick depends on your physical body. Your position, the clarity of the words you use, how quick or slow you use the words, enunciation, hand movements and finger-wiggling. Are you bad at a spell because you didn't sayb "grol" properly? Are you good at a spell because you gesticulated just right?

Jihelu

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
"How does a spellcaster know all these magickal words in the first place?  "
I think I always went with 'the voices in my head told me this shit'
I've got magick in my soul, I can have soothsaying dreams if I want to.

Bogre

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »

Concentrating, usually. Absorbed in power and in directing it.

Able to conjure a bigger effect- a larger fireball. A more honed control of the elemental powers, not letting it slip away. Able to craft the effect into what you want. Using a sharper tool.
Random - power is fickle. Lax control of it and it will slip away. Losing concentration is a miss of the attempt to shape the magick or power into what you're trying to accomplish. Certainly outright distraction can be an influence.

Hmm, not something I often think about, but I think it makes most sense to me to have exceeded your channeling ability  - you're a conduit to an elemental power and the flux has a maximum. On another character, I might play it as the local area having given the majority of their essence for the time being.
I will usually do nil with cantrips and light shows. I tend to roleplay it as a just-before-evocation dispersal of the energy. So the spell is weaved, and then, at the brink of its entrance into this plane of existence, is released.

I generally play it as developing new controls over the element. Its new and unexplored so you don't necessarily know them beforehand. I generally forget all the words so it works out well for me.

To be honest, using the actual 'words' is something very little of my magickers would be able to describe verbally. I tend to play the words as an inner language, something instinctual, and physically or mentally speaking them, or evoking them, is a direct conversation to the source of power.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:54:38 AM by Bogre »
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:28:48 PM »
Usually when I branch new spells it makes sense. Like one spell to the next. I'm pretty good at doing this..... how about I do the exact opposite? I got pretty good at that. How about I make is stronger?!
or... I can blow you up good. ... how do I make it stronger? How do I do it more often? How many blow ups can I make at the same time!?
Branching new spells is like actually getting better at something.

As to learning new words, which is different from learning new word combinations.
To tell the truth, I was one of those guys that believed elementalism was kind of like a feeling. A super-human sort of thing until recently. I understand now how words and feelings are good and fun ways to magick it up.

You guys have to start asking some harder questions.
Like... is it okay to roleplay using certain spells to create chairs instead of other things. Or is it okay to roleplay a different shape than what is codedly created. or harder to roleplay... the echos after you do a spell.
> Instead of a fireball - why not a flame spear that you just threw!?
> (I'll risk it) Sand erupts from your hands [redacted] - couldn't you emote that sand coming from anywhere? From the ground, from the creases of your hair, from your mouth, from your butt hole?
> your skin [redacted]. Couldn't it be any color? Especially with Tdesc.
Couldn't you emote the magickal things that already do impossible things doing magickal and impossible things? I mean... within ''reason''.

I've got harder questions, but they're all really ... in depth.
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

evilcabbage

• House Oash
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
chettaman.

i have one word answer for you.

yes.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Jihelu

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Fireball out of your ass, is the true answer.

Rokal

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
Usually when I branch new spells it makes sense. Like one spell to the next. I'm pretty good at doing this..... how about I do the exact opposite? I got pretty good at that. How about I make is stronger?!
or... I can blow you up good. ... how do I make it stronger? How do I do it more often? How many blow ups can I make at the same time!?
Branching new spells is like actually getting better at something.

As to learning new words, which is different from learning new word combinations.
To tell the truth, I was one of those guys that believed elementalism was kind of like a feeling. A super-human sort of thing until recently. I understand now how words and feelings are good and fun ways to magick it up.

You guys have to start asking some harder questions.
Like... is it okay to roleplay using certain spells to create chairs instead of other things. Or is it okay to roleplay a different shape than what is codedly created. or harder to roleplay... the echos after you do a spell.
> Instead of a fireball - why not a flame spear that you just threw!?
> (I'll risk it) Sand erupts from your hands [redacted] - couldn't you emote that sand coming from anywhere? From the ground, from the creases of your hair, from your mouth, from your butt hole?
> your skin [redacted]. Couldn't it be any color? Especially with Tdesc.
Couldn't you emote the magickal things that already do impossible things doing magickal and impossible things? I mean... within ''reason''.

I've got harder questions, but they're all really ... in depth.

You've hit the nail right on the coffin, there are TONS of questions like this I want to ask.

nauta

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 05:16:46 PM »
Here's a question that came to me when reading the new touched help file:

How do the initial words for spells come to gicks?

('Initial words' being the ones you come out of chargen knowing.  Acquiring new words once you branch might yield a different answer -- although it might yield the same answer.)

At first, I thought the words came from another teacher, but this wouldn't really explain how rogue gicks or folks with touched stumble upon their spell words.

I suspect the answer has to be some form of "they just do" -- through a vision, through a dream, or just a feeling you have.

Anyway, is this documented?  If not, thoughts?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Jihelu

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:17:58 PM »
I'm telling ya.
Soothsayer dreams

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
So, I got a reply to my questions from staff and the consensus is: These questions are purposefully not answered and Magick is purposefully kept vague, ICly as well as OOCly. Basically the way one person approaches magick can be completely different from another. They leave these questions up to player interpretation.

So play it how you want to and let your imagination run wild.

whitt

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »
Here's a question that came to me when reading the new touched help file:

+1 on the answer to this one.  I'm pretty sure the answer is that it's not defined so that you have the ability to define that in your PCs background (and NinjaConfirmed by RGS while I type), but...

Helpfile clues or my dead horse of baseline documentation for #ThanksMagickers101 akin to the RP guides provided (I hear) for DE-Tribes or Merchant Houses would much appreciated as to what is and isn't an acceptable way to say you've learned to speak the words.  Or is it possible that your PC doesn't even realize what they're doing when they cast.  The words come unbidden?

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »
I like exploring each of these differently on an individual character, myself. Variation is good for the theme of magick as an unscientific, elemental force.

This is me, as well.
Some of my PCs have looked at elementalism as a religion, something that was gifted to them by a higher power (their element usually).
Some have seen it as a disease , like something that would eat away at them and eventually consume who they were and take over.
Some have seen magick as no more than a sword or chisel to be wielded in the furthering of their goals.
Most are just confused as hell, trying to figure out how to survive without being hunted to death.
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Ziel

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »

My two cents: they don't. They're provided to the player for the sake of convenience since there are 108 combinations of spheres and moods per element and it's nice to have someplace to start.  But from the character's perspective, there's no difference between the words for an initial spell and the words for a newly branched spell that you (the player) don't know from one source or another.

While the combinations aren't innately known, the individual components of a spell (power, reach, element, sphere, and mood) could be something that a burgeoning magicker has an natural understanding of through their elemental connection, independent of any language they might know. A new/unknown spell in a skill list is analogous to an emotion or idea that you don't know how to describe.  The spell is then cast when a mage learns how to properly express the idea and breaks physics in the process.

So who that in mind, usually I play manifestations solely through less-than-spectacular can trips that will make it clear that something's not right. But if I'm feeling lazy, maybe I'll just say the mage was struck by inspiration and managed to say the right words to express themselves.

MeTekillot

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:07 PM »
I just play learning new words through prophetic dreams that my character receives due to their connection with the Element.

Bogre

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »
so your vivaduans have wet dreams?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Jingo

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 11:38:50 PM »
I honestly don't even "play" the words. I just presume my character intuitively knows what to speak while conjuring.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »
I didn't even know my first gicker was mumbling to herself when she cast, so I didn't play her as doing so.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 02:09:19 AM »
Most if not all of mine consider it a straight-up curse, because they would still have the opinions they held as normal people and their worldview wouldn't flip over when they switched sides. I did have one viv who played with water in a cistern, but she was kind of crazy.

th3kaiser

• Helper
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
so your vivaduans have wet dreams?

Fun fact, I had a super old guy viv who manifested this way. Flooded his apartment in Storm and got evicted. (He also wore corsets underneath his clothes)

Jihelu

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
There are some world views that might view Magickers as things not abominations. IE:
A few tribal clans/inde's
Gemmed that view them selves as city assets.
All dwarves.