3/21/16 Update Discussion Thread

Started by Rathustra, March 21, 2016, 04:21:40 PM

Will the elementalists aspects get all their magickal abilities up front or will they have the potential to branch new magickal abilities related to their aspect?
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on March 21, 2016, 04:58:29 PM
Will the elementalists aspects get all their magickal abilities up front or will they have the potential to branch new magickal abilities related to their aspect?
This is a great question, one of the pains in the ass about magickers is the casting one spell five hundred times to eventually branch the next.

If they all come out initially and just allow you to develop the ones that matter, I think I'll bust in my pants right now and suicide my character. (Not really, but be super excited)
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I do hope that the overlap between the subguild varieties is substantial enough that not too many dumb "tests" emerge, like when an employer would demand a potential hire speak Cavalish back in the old day in order to prove he/she was really a crafter.

"Oh. You say you're a Vivaduan, but ... you can't heal this scratch? Really? Huh. Well, we don't like the corruption variety. Guards, off with his head!"  
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Y-you...you don't understand.

You don't understand.
Staff made a change to magick that...that I....I actually like.
What is this feeling inside of me.
What is this.
This dark feeling.
I-I need to lay down.
Nilazi aren't things anymore and I like that.
All the stupid magic is gone.
We can finally have a world filled with magick that isn't stupid.
I
I don't.

What is this
+1 to whoever wanted this

The elementalist subguilds are similar to extended subguilds. So while you may start with several abilities, you develop others through play. Though this development is much shorter than with full guilds.

The overlap varies within and between elements. If people encounter such tests, let us know so we can remind PCs in positions of authority that our code is a framework upon which the virtual world is draped, not the full extent of it!

Does this mean only magickers who are Merchants will be able to mastercraft now?

March 21, 2016, 05:04:56 PM #57 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:06:43 PM by Desertman
I'm curious what the "Touched" version of these are.

I'm reading it to say, "You are touched by the element, you can't actually summon -real- spells that do things, but you can do some minor magical things that have no material affect.".

Which is fine and interesting, I just want to make sure I'm reading that right.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 05:04:36 PM
Does this mean only magickers who are Merchants will be able to mastercraft now?

This is effectively the situation.

Quote from: Desertman on March 21, 2016, 05:04:56 PM

I'm reading it to say, "You are touched by the element, you can't actually summon -real- spells that do things, but you can do some minor magical things that have no material affect.".

I am reading it for people who purely want to have the power of fluff elementalism.  IE: The air gets damp as tressy tressy walks in.

Versus, Tressy Tressy casts suck you dry of water and you die.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

So if you're currently playing a full elementalist, does this mean that your PC is now some sort of magickal savant?

Touched subguilds possess a blend of magickal abilities from their elemental connection and more subtle abilities granted by their attunement to their element.

Quote from: Beethoven on March 21, 2016, 05:07:42 PM
So if you're currently playing a full elementalist, does this mean that your PC is now some sort of magickal savant?
Uh

yes

OOCly? Sort of. ICly? Your character can only make this assessment when they encounter something to suggest it. They will feel no IC change after this update!

Which is fine and interesting, I just want to make sure I'm reading that right.

Same here, This definetly seems like it'll be interesting flavor roles to play, I mean, since theyre comparable to possible extended subguilds, i imagine they'll have some things - its even stated it means possible mundane things or cantrips, which is quite exciting!

This is going to add a whole new level of varitiy to magical characters - and in a way, that mangifies the mystery of it.

For tribes with magicker roles, will the current caps be extended now that their future magickers won't be as versatile for communing with the chosen element?

You will still be the glass cannon, super capable of all these abilities, but killable by a one week old bynner if they get the drop on you.  Heh.

I'm curious as to if this will actually be an ic event or change.
Such as
"Magick is leaving the world in tiny bits but not really"
Or if it's just a completely pure OOC change of "People might notice IC eh, probably not"

I feel like theres some fancy plot potential there if its the actual ic thing, but the minute someone confirms it everyone and their mother would notice.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 05:09:53 PM
For tribes with magicker roles, will the current caps be extended now that their future magickers won't be as versatile for communing with the chosen element?

Caps on magickers will not change for clans that permit them.

Quote from: Rathustra on March 21, 2016, 05:12:04 PM

Will Touched (assuming they're not as pewpewkaboom as old Magick guilds or some of the new Subguilds) count against those caps?

Quote from: Jihelu on March 21, 2016, 05:11:50 PM
I'm curious as to if this will actually be an ic event or change.
Such as
"Magick is leaving the world in tiny bits but not really"
Or if it's just a completely pure OOC change of "People might notice IC eh, probably not"

I feel like theres some fancy plot potential there if its the actual ic thing, but the minute someone confirms it everyone and their mother would notice.

Consider a real-world scenario where a teacup is observed orbiting pluto in the readout from a fly-by satellite. It's down to the people on earth to react to this phenomena in a way that makes sense for them and they can deliberate and experiment as much as they want from their remote location. The chances of anyone ever coming to a proper conclusion, however, is remote.

To be less obnoxious - this change will be experienced IC. But we hope/expect players to have their PCs react and explore it in an IC way that makes sense for their PC. If you tell Vennant "hey barkeep I heard magickers are different now" he'll either not care, not believe you or throw you out. Similarly, consider that OOC knowledge of "guilds" and "spell trees" are only know IC as far as people (who lack the scientific method, are unreliable actors and are steeped in superstition) can experience them. The signal to noise ratio on what magickers could ever do, or what magick is should be such that for the vast, vast majority of people - it doesn't matter.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 21, 2016, 05:14:43 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on March 21, 2016, 05:12:04 PM

Will Touched (assuming they're not as pewpewkaboom as old Magick guilds or some of the new Subguilds) count against those caps?

May need to consider this. We'll see.

Speaking of caps...

I vaguely recall staff saying they monitor the number of magickers in the game. Will this still stand? I'm not overly intrigued by the prospect of running into dozens of magickally gifted PCs trying out the new digs.

Edit: Thread moves too fast for my phone skills.
Whatever happens, happens.