Mages and purpose...

Started by Asmoth, March 21, 2016, 11:48:58 AM

Quote from: TheWanderer on March 21, 2016, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on March 21, 2016, 01:59:16 PM
If they can't, then have some explanation as to how Oash alone gets to use these superpowered beings despite them being social pariahs in every other aspect of society.  

House Oash being a noble house who can employ mages with zero consequences has never made sense to me. I've ranted about this a bunch of times, but the unexplained reality that they can employ mages yet still remain in the top tier of Nakki houses makes them one of the most frustrating parts of Allanak for me.

All of this, by the way. I thought the reason would reveal itself to me as the years went on, but it's still the weirdest, most out of place writing in the game.

More than one house in Allanak makes use of mages, it's just that only one of the houses that has a PC presence has access to that resource.

Quote from: Akariel on March 21, 2016, 06:13:25 PM
Quote from: TheWanderer on March 21, 2016, 05:44:33 PM
If they can't, then have some explanation as to how Oash alone gets to use these superpowered beings despite them being social pariahs in every other aspect of society.  

House Oash being a noble house who can employ mages with zero consequences has never made sense to me. I've ranted about this a bunch of times, but the unexplained reality that they can employ mages yet still remain in the top tier of Nakki houses makes them one of the most frustrating parts of Allanak for me.

All of this, by the way. I thought the reason would reveal itself to me as the years went on, but it's still the weirdest, most out of place writing in the game.

More than one house in Allanak makes use of mages, it's just that only one of the houses that has a PC presence has access to that resource.

Well then that's great, but like I said:

If gemmed can find employment with other noble houses or merchant houses (maybe Rennik uses them to water their wheat fields or Nenyuk uses them to guard their vaults or something), tell us this, and make it a part of the documentation.

And I still want to know why there's social consequences for some (Merchant Houses, anyone?) but not others (some Noble Houses) for using mages? Just better documentation in some form for all this stuff would be so beneficial.

But yeah I guess you guys are busy making mind blowing and awesome changes to magick guilds and that's cool too.  Don't mind me...Keep doing that.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I imagine it would be very damaging to your reputation as a Merchant House if you became known as an employer of magickers. Especially when one of the largest populations in the game is vehemently against magiiiiiiooooyeaaah.

Some merchant houses have it in their documentation that they can hire magickers.

Quote from: Akariel on March 21, 2016, 10:48:44 PM
Some merchant houses have it in their documentation that they can hire magickers.
... WHO?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on March 21, 2016, 11:11:02 PM
Quote from: Akariel on March 21, 2016, 10:48:44 PM
... WHO?
Find out ic

March 22, 2016, 02:18:29 PM #56 Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:59:42 PM by TheWanderer
What's represented in documentation and the current IG universe to players is that the majority of the populace in Allanak fears the gemmed and have irrational (and sometimes very rational) concerns, causing these people to be repulsed by their very presence. The living weapons of the Templarate aren't mingled with, aren't invited to social functions, and are commonly avoided like the plague. They're quarantined in their own special section of the city because of the distrust and discord they sow amongst the citizens, and the disgust they breed in some of the nobility.

Gleaned from a number of posts, some of the Noble Houses and Merchant Houses recruited gemmed IG and more often virtually once upon a time. If they still do, it's no longer reflected IG or through documentation on the website but can certainly be supposed. One of the Lower Tier Houses with nowhere to drop in rank being a prime candidate due to their function. However, when they rail against the majority and join the minority, they seem to be doing it discreetly to avoid the social stigma accompanied by the act. I'd venture a guess and say the Templarate loans them out.

Then we have Oash. An Upper Tier House which dresses their chosen gemmed in livery and parades them about the city. The use of gemmed in Allanaki society isn't something to be proud of, and if a Noble House does use them, it's always felt like it should be one with a lesser distinction than that of the Upper Tier.
Whatever happens, happens.

Might be they're in the Upper Tier because trying to hard to knock down a peg the stuffy assholes who employ living weapons of mass destruction has not gone well thus far.

I think merchant houses (even if they are allowed to) don't hire elemetalists because the clan leaders are afraid of bad things happening, even being called mage lovers.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on March 22, 2016, 03:16:37 PM
I think merchant houses (even if they are allowed to) don't hire elemetalists because the clan leaders are afraid of bad things happening, even being called mage lovers.

I imagine that there are some people who just don't bother officially hiring mages (whether they're 'allowed to' or not) simply because they don't want to risk the chance that some bored Oash noble with nothing better to do won't wage a vendetta on them because "-WE- are the mage House!"  Even if that particular mage has no interest in joining Oash or is a race that Oash won't hire.

Quote from: manipura on March 22, 2016, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on March 22, 2016, 03:16:37 PM

I imagine that there are some people who just don't bother officially hiring mages (whether they're 'allowed to' or not) simply because they don't want to risk the chance that some bored Oash noble with nothing better to do won't wage a vendetta on them because "-WE- are the mage House!"  Even if that particular mage has no interest in joining Oash or is a race that Oash won't hire.
To this I would have to call them cowards... But that said I do understand not wanting to risk their sponsored character by changing the status quo.

However, if you guys ever need a guy who "ain't skirred" I'm your guy.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

I'm not even talking about sponsored characters, actually.  If anything I'd say sponsored characters have a bit more protection because if salty Lady or Lord Oash want to cause a kerfuffle over them making use of a mage, they're now dealing with a House.
Mostly I was referring to the non-sponsored people who might have thoughts of hiring a Vivaduan for water or healing for their hunters, or a Rukkian for foraging.  Average Amos likely has little protection if Oash decides they have issues with him using a mage or two.
At the same time, I think it's fairly silly that Oash would be at all concerned with what some lowly commoner is doing.  Doesn't mean it would be the first (or last) time that some high-status fancypants character took notice of a nobody who wasn't actually threatening at all.

All that being said, I'll keep you in mind and call you into the fray if I ever have need of someone who "ain't skirred".  :D

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 22, 2016, 03:03:33 PM
Might be they're in the Upper Tier because trying to hard to knock down a peg the stuffy assholes who employ living weapons of mass destruction has not gone well thus far.

That touches upon the issue of why other equally literate Noble Houses of varying intelligence have yet to realize over thousands of years that having a cadre of superweapons in their basement is a sound idea. Secondly, Oash does indeed have an arguably small cadre of superweapons in their basement, but it's calmly and oddly brushed aside by nobility that should be frustrated and/or irritated by this. An Oash receives little to no backlash for blatantly violating the social norms of today, as a, for instance, Fale, Kasix, or Tor would for openly congregating with the gemmed. The latter three would become total pariahs amongst their families and friends. The same is true for members of Merchant Houses or commoners that would try their hand at it.

It wouldn't be overly difficult to knock a House commiting an unceasing and blatant social faux pas down a peg in an entirely social construct like the Tier System. Especially considering how miniscule the cadre Oash has in its possession actually is in relation to population numbers. And lastly, despite the size of their operations and relatively minimal portion of the House that actually deals with the gemmed, it's similar to a red wine stain on a white shirt. Although small, you'll be transfixed by that blemish for the entire night.

The unsightly use of mages for research or whatever makes much more sense in the Lower Tier.

More of a meta type thought I think people need to consider.  Don't be scared to do shit that's against the grain, we as players are the exceptional lot, the one percent of personalities, if anyone can figure out that hiring a magicker is smart and valuable it's us, not Joe shitscooper vnpc for sure.

Not saying do everything to flaunt anti-documentation play, but don't be "skirred". After all it's easier to be forgiveness than permission.

Quote from: Asmoth on March 22, 2016, 08:14:28 PM
More of a meta type thought I think people need to consider.  Don't be scared to do shit that's against the grain, we as players are the exceptional lot, the one percent of personalities, if anyone can figure out that hiring a magicker is smart and valuable it's us, not Joe shitscooper vnpc for sure.

Not saying do everything to flaunt anti-documentation play, but don't be "skirred". After all it's easier to be forgiveness than permission.

...my concerns were clearly unfounded.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on March 22, 2016, 08:34:10 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on March 22, 2016, 08:14:28 PM

...my concerns were clearly unfounded.

I'm not saying everyone hug mages... But I'm saying don't sacrifice roleplaying.

March 22, 2016, 11:09:05 PM #66 Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:10:50 PM by racurtne
What?

If everyone plays people who use magickers, the reality is that the documentation means nothing. Staff can't animate enough vnpcs to balance out all of that mage hiring. The reality of the game world will be altered. Roleplaying means playing a character who fits in the world. Playing a character who refuses to hire mages isn't sacrificing roleplaying, it's roleplaying a realistic character in the setting. When you deviate from the documentation too much, you are doing the opposite of roleplaying.

Sure your character can deviate a little here and there, but our characters are NOT all part of some DnD murder-hobo adventuring party who are out to utilize every advantage we can get. And not all PCs are above the common plebs and their superstitions. Apologies if that's not what you are getting at, but it certainly sounds like it.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: TheWanderer on March 22, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on March 22, 2016, 03:03:33 PM
entirely social construct like the Tier System
If the Tier System were an entirely social construct, I would agree.

probably misspoke on that, but i'mma stick to the rest

*shrug*

Mages exist to be better than you.

If you don't hate and resent them for this you're a carebear.

Different mage subguilds all in harmony.

Come on people now.. smile on your brother, every body get together..

*flee!
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Can mages now master-craft magick arms/armors as merchants?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.