Armageddon Confessional

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

Come ye weary Armers and repent! Father Gunslinger is here to hear your sins and bless you so that you may live forever in the heart of our lord, Ginka.

This thread is for amusement, or for areas where you aren't doing well and want to improve.  IT IS NOT FOR VAGUEBOOKING ABOUT THINGS OTHERS ARE DOINGS THAT YOU DO NOT LIKE OR PRETENDING YOU SUCK AT SOMETHING BUT ARE REALLY SECRETLY COMPLAINING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE WHO SUCK AT SOMETHING.

I confess to needing to take a break from the game for a bit, but having little willpower to do so without another hobby to fill the void.

I confess the more I play in this state the more my roleplay diminishes.

Idler King of Armageddon.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I suffer the witch to live in game because I'm afraid of my PC getting fireballed.

My characters all rapidly (if temporarily) become the same character when it comes to combat.

PK reports remain my favorite kind of report, even as I try not to kill anyone anymore.

I confess I sometimes do:

emote is gone afk

rather than:

gone afk

just so I can keep waying with someone.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I feel bad as a player for the pariah-PCs and always feel bad when I kick them IG.  

I kick them again for making me feel bad about it.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Bogre on March 14, 2016, 02:49:12 PM
Idler King of Armageddon.

While idle hands are the defilers workshop, patience reaps fruitful harvests. I absolve you of your sins. In the name of the Staff, the Ginka, and the holy Dragon. Amen.

Quote from: nauta on March 14, 2016, 02:56:39 PM
I confess I sometimes do:

emote is gone afk

rather than:

gone afk

just so I can keep waying with someone.

A focused servant is a pious servant. I absolve you of your sins. In the name of the Staff, the Ginka, and the holy Dragon. Amen.

Quote from: whitt on March 14, 2016, 02:57:52 PM
I feel bad as a player for the pariah-PCs and always feel bad when I kick them IG. 

I kick them again for making me feel bad about it.

And so the Highlord commanded; "Go forth and oppress the degenerates and filth of our land." Your only sin against Ginka is feeling bad. I absolve you of your sins. In the name of the Staff, the Ginka, and the holy Dragon. Amen.

My rebound PC after a good PC dies almost always sucks.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I've only killed twice in 12 years of playing.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I get too attached to my characters and it prevents me from taking risks with them.  I've probably missed out on a lot of fun stuff because of it.

I can't enjoy most of what I see Arm as because I'm an achiever/builder type player and I believe that, outside of mastercrafting and political role-play (which does not appeal to me), there isn't really anything in place in the code or world for me to build.

..I also have an wandering attention span and if I'm not able to progress something at the speed I want, I loose interest and start on something else to scratch that creation-ist itch.  Most of my "plots" are low-end, starter things because of this and I always feels sort of guilty for not having much follow through.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

If I play a ruthless character, it's much easier for me to be ruthless to NPCs than it is PCs, even if they sorta deserve it.

I'm either too lazy or too scared to really get stuck into the meat of crafting in the game. Crafting has never really appealed to me in RPIs and I dread emoting around it, when there are echoed prompts anyway.

*Tries to get in the zone and emote with a new craft*
*Awkwardly emotes an imaginary tool or action, only to receive the complete opposite in the prompt*
*Slinks away, never to craft again*

I'm also playing way too much at the moment. I am entirely, disgustingly, deeply addicted to ARM, despite having important RL things to do.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

I'm much more of a collaborative, instead of competitive, Arm player.

This comes from starting RP at a DnD table - you can't just shit on what other players are doing, there.

It also comes from having an improv mindset, where the more entertaining answer is almost always "yes, but [or and]" instead of "no."

It also comes from having played actual hardcore pvp MUDs, where the pvp code is much more robust, deep and fast-paced than Arm's. I kinda don't get the drive to be the Top Dawg in the Arm PK scene. It's like trying to be the best Checkers player. Once you've played Chess, Checkers just isn't appealing.

As a result of all that, I just don't want to PK anybody. Even in situations where I probably should. It just never feels like the interesting choice.

So my confession? I'm a softy, and my PCs are softies.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

double post
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

I guess my confession is that I have somewhat the opposite opinion of player kill on Arm.  I'd say probably zero of my PKs have taken any sort of skill -- in fact, there aren't that many variables to PvP on Arm.  If I want to play PvP, I don't even play a MUD, and haven't since WoW first came out.

However, I do tend to churn out a few kills on each of my longer lived characters.  In specific, I happen to think death is the more interesting choice, many times.  The single thread that ties together nearly all of the great works of literature I've read is one simple thing -- the death of a character.  Whether it's Raskolnikov committing a double murder, Tom Robinson shot as he fled jail, or even the wildly overdramatic murder-suicide at the end of Hamlet.  We could go on and on, but it's not only a common theme of literature, it's a poignant fact of life.

The luckiest thing we could do is portray a meaningful death, but 99/100, that's not going to happen.  It comes out of nowhere, most of the time, and it doesn't always make sense, and it hardly seems fair ...  but it's true to the word.  So rarely do our characters ride off into the sunset, that if/when they eventually do, it seems like we've cheated our self a more fitting end -- an end more suitable to the genre we've created.

Unfortunately, people will take it personally.  So, I guess my confession is that I simply don't care if it's not appreciated.  I did, at least, put some thought towards it and try.
Where it will go

I confess to finding 95% of mudsex incredibly boring, but enjoying the other 5% a lot more than I probably should.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I am the 5%.

(I don't know how to do funny gifs.  I'm sorry.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I think mudsex is stupid and don't do it. Everyone else? Have fun.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Mud sex has been pointless to even try lately... I just go on other chats for my nut.  Was not the case some 7 years ago (a pitifully short amount of time compared to other arma vets) when I joined this whole thing.

March 15, 2016, 04:33:00 PM #20 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:38:23 PM by Delirium
Quote from: Dan on March 15, 2016, 04:05:25 PM
I think mudsex is stupid and don't do it. Everyone else? Have fun.

Same.

I didn't always avoid it but it took a really engaging story to get me to do romance, I mean, I never liked romance novels either. Even a strict fading policy didn't help.

I felt bad about this and tried my hand at romance-heavy PCs and had to grit my teeth through their entire existence. It was worth it, I kept telling myself, for a fully fleshed-out character. Be a better roleplayer, etc.

But eventually I ran into some psuedo-OOC bullshit weirdness a few times and it was enough to turn me off the idea entirely.

Granted, most of my past "romance era" characters were involved with obviously mature roleplayers who I would have enjoyed telling the story with regardless of romantic subtext, which is a big reason why I even allowed it to happen. As the saying goes, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch, etc. But boy did those apples get weird and bad.

Guilty because I feel like it shuts off a lot of potentially engaging stories, but, no regrets because there's plenty of other stories to tell.

War buddies, best friends, reluctant allies, unrequited love, bitter enemies... romance feels like the cheap way to deep relationships.

edit: Er, I feel like the post above mine pretty much perfectly explains why I have a no-mudsex policy in way less words.

March 15, 2016, 04:42:13 PM #21 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:44:56 PM by Inks
To the two posters above me: Did you guys read the rules highlighted in red at all?

Mine: Teach me how to play humans, Padre Gunslinger. I have failed greatly playing my actual species.

Oops. I forgot what thread I was in.

Okay, guilty because I can't seem to play socialites/romance without wanting to claw my eyeballs out.

I do not use Think or Feel nearly enough and when I do it feels forced. (Like I'm just doing it to explain to any staff who might be watching WHY I'm doing A, B, or C.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

March 15, 2016, 04:52:30 PM #24 Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:07:04 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Delirium on March 15, 2016, 04:46:23 PM
Okay, guilty because I can't seem to play socialites/romance without wanting to claw my eyeballs out.

I have trouble with romance too.  At least these last several years.  It was easier when I was younger.  Some players are so good that it's hard not to get drawn in though.  They're the exception though, definitely not the rule.

So I play characters who are bad at it, and it makes things much less awkward, and much more interesting.

If you play a character whose awful at sex, or incredibly selfish in bed, or as emotionally supportive as a pimp, you quickly weed out the awkwardness.  The scene isn't centered around someone trying to bust a nut.  It's centered around how much of an asshole this character is.  Or how controlling of a person they are.  And so on.  If the player on the side is in it for the mudsex, they'll very, very quickly lose interest.  If they stick around, they're there for the role play, and it tends to actually be pretty fun and gets deep in a non-cheesy kind of way.  Playing the abusive mate creates conflict, and drama in a pretty pure and interesting way.  Playing the loving snuggle buddy generally does not.

I guess to simplify it down, bad romance is surprisingly fun, surprisingly less awkward, and...surprisingly more realistic!  LOL.