Player progression

Started by gotdamnmiracle, March 05, 2016, 09:01:20 AM

Just a personal preference question.

I have been trying to decide what to play next and was curious what you guys think provided the most different experience. Obviously, a lot of this is steeped in the character themselves, but I mean different from the usual holy trinity (warrior, ranger, merchant). I was hoping to either get more familiar with magick or racial RP, both of which I think are weak points of mine at this time. Would you suggest taking it one step at a time or just immersing oneself. Maybe something different? Any suggestions? Please, nothing living PC or story related, obligatory.

In advance, I appreciate the responses. I'm curious what would be the best way to develop as a player and story contributor.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Say fuck it and go half-elf or dwarf rukkian/viv.
Dwarf would be the best bet for a combination of 'slight racism here and there' and 'I'm gonna get shit done"

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on March 05, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
I was hoping to either get more familiar with magick or racial RP, both of which I think are weak points of mine at this time. Would you suggest taking it one step at a time or just immersing oneself.

Definitely recommend one at a time.  I think a number of folks try for both with Dwarf magicker.  While this may let you get some of the flavor of playing a magicker, I don't know that it will give you the full experience you are looking for on either side of the coin.  You tend to get shoe horned as either a dwarf, so some magicker RP is closed to you, or a magicker, so some mundane RP is closed off to you. 

Of the two?  I'd say give playing a magicker a try first unless you have a really awesome focus in mind for playing a dwarf.  You've got a solid base of playing a mundane crafting-related guild, that is an essential piece of magicker RP (having something to do other than magick).  At the same time, it will open a section of the game you simply could not access before.  I'd also suggest going in with a gemmed magicker for your first, again, for the tutoring aspects you gain.  Always time for another to come along and be all sneaky.

Once you've got you're magicker under your belt, or even while you are playing your magicker, looking into the docs for RPings one of the non-human races.  If you go into this next role with a solid focus, a better informed opinion of what it means to be an elf, or what's going on in the mind of a half-giant, you'll be ready to jump into that end of the pool with both feet and the bonus of being ready for a mundane guild having just gotten a break from the trinity.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Go play a goddamn celf. Someone has to.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on March 05, 2016, 11:52:30 AM
Go play a goddamn celf. Someone has to.

I do not suggest this. Not until that c-elf clan finally gets finished that staff said they were working on at least.

It's been three years, I'm not holding my breath any longer.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on March 05, 2016, 09:01:20 AM
different from the usual holy trinity (warrior, ranger, merchant)

How about something from the not-so-holy trinity (assassin, burglar, pickpocket)?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Patuk on March 05, 2016, 12:32:43 PM

A staff member only just recently said that's what they've been working on.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 05, 2016, 01:16:28 PM
Quote from: Patuk on March 05, 2016, 12:32:43 PM

A staff member only just recently said that's what they've been working on.

A staff member said the same three years ago, too.

March 05, 2016, 03:39:30 PM #9 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:42:45 PM by solera
To get inside an elf's head, what about (special) apping a d-elf, maybe a crafter if you don't want to roll a ranger. A good way to see a part of the Known that's a bit off the beaten track.
I have always found the 'rinth fun. Burglar is a good class for exploring its corners. I often had to make my own fun though, until I was found. In my opinion, best  if you only leave it to "work", otherwise stay away from Allanak.
I chose to play in the Eastside as a majicker, t think that would have made a good storyif she hadn't got nabbed by soldiers for petty crime.

Some racial RP can be a lot of fun. I tend to use a lot more thinks/feels when I play non-humans.

It's really easy to get immersed in the mentality of some non-humans, I get excited about it when I play a dwarf/half-elf/elf and it tends to make for a well-rounded character. When I play a regular human it's hit or miss. Apparently I suck at being human.

Another suggestion though, play outside of your comfort zone. When I play females I find it easier to think like my character and less like the player. If you play combat classes often, play a combat lite class or a no combat class. If you play socialites, try someone who's socially awkward. It keeps the game feeling fresh.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Don't play a guild.  Try playing a non-skilled character like a noble's aide, bard, information broker, or a non-crafting trader.

I think it depends on the person. I found elves hard and dwarves easy, and honestly the less magick is in my witch's life the more fun I have and the more it seems to work.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 12, 2016, 07:04:11 AM
the less magick is in my witch's life the more fun I have and the more it seems to work.

Alternatively, I've had great fun playing a mundane dwarf with a magick related focus.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.