Highlord Tektolnes

Started by dravage, March 03, 2016, 09:07:57 AM

Well I mean those gems...
Conspiracy theory 2015.

I think in Dark Sun they had them for...why the fuck were there cities in dark Sun?
I think people were just fucking power hungry in that.

but that begs the quesiton
Why does Muk have a city? Just in spite of Tek?
I'm not really asking cause I don't care but ya know.

Army fodder. Trade to support the city's working and more army fodder. Nobles (and templars, from those nobles) to run the day to day bureaucracy of running all that.

Quote from: Delirium on March 07, 2016, 01:30:17 PM
Army fodder.
Who needs an army when you can turn into a dragon

Why waste all that energy when you can send out a bunch of meaningless commoners to do your work for you?

Quote from: Delirium on March 07, 2016, 01:30:17 PM
Army fodder.

That, and the same reason Tek does. The Sorcery docs contain all the information you know to make uncomfortable guesses about why your favorite deity keeps you around.

Quote from: Delirium on March 07, 2016, 01:31:24 PM
Why waste all that energy when you can send out a bunch of meaningless commoners to do your work for you?
You're right. That leaves more room for plotting.

Also I've never met a defiler in game but do people who defile actually get their descriptions changed to take into the fact they are fucking disgusting?
In Dark Sun they weren't the prettiest people...

I guess Muk really likes having his army around so he can read their minds.
Or maybe he saw a timeline in which he had no army and he got fucking stomped.

Tek has a city because he got it the same way many other rules before him have, by killing their fathers and taking it over.  He was born into an environment and situation where power is sought for its own sake.  It must be quite the head rush, to see the blighted and desert landscape all around and know that you own a place where water exists, crops grow and people live.  And all of it could be reduced to ash or worse at your whim, all its inhabitants worship you like a God and legions thirst to live, die or inflict death on your enemies with a flick of your wrist.

I would argue that like most despotic rulers, Tek is a megalomaniac and loving it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

March 07, 2016, 01:49:52 PM #32 Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:51:46 PM by Desertman
I own an ant farm and often stand over my subjects naked holding a kitchen chair over my head while proclaiming unto them that should they ever get out of line I will smite them and all that they love and have built.

This is as close as I have ever gotten to truly knowing the motivations and mindset of The Highlord.

Blessed be He, and curse the northern scum.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Pale Horse on March 07, 2016, 01:42:04 PM
Tek has a city because he got it the same way many other rules before him have, by killing their fathers and taking it over.  He was born into an environment and situation where power is sought for its own sake.  It must be quite the head rush, to see the blighted and desert landscape all around and know that you own a place where water exists, crops grow and people live.  And all of it could be reduced to ash or worse at your whim, all its inhabitants worship you like a God and legions thirst to live, die or inflict death on your enemies with a flick of your wrist.

Harsh, man.

It's not like he's Donald Trump or something.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 02:43:08 PM
Quote from: Pale Horse on March 07, 2016, 01:42:04 PM

Harsh, man.

It's not like he's Donald Trump or something.

Look up some of the backstories about ol' Tek in the Staff Announcement threads.  Not only did Tek kill his father and take over, he decapitates him, cleans and keeps the skull and imprisons his soul in it.

Trump keeps your soul but he gets to it through your wallet.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

My only interaction with Tek is through his very minor henchmen, the city guards and the one odd templar. Those interactions were very well done (particularly the guards) but I have literally never seen anything that would so much as remind you that there's a dragon up there in that tower. Other than some automated NPC's who walk past the bar shouting about devotions.

It feels like any other medieval fantasy city setting to a newcomer, other than being in the desert and very Dark Sun inspired. The city is well-built from a building perspective and the descriptions are good and engaging. Just the way the game plays out most days is that you couldn't care less about Kim Jong Dragon up there in his tower. Was that the way y'all were intending for it to go? Because if so you nailed it. :)

"he decapitates him, cleans and keeps the skull and imprisons his soul in it."
Where is the story that tells this.

I also find it funny that due to ic you'll never see someone in Allanak mention or even know of how Tek murdered his dad. Theres even a fancy little story should you ask what happened to his dad...it's ironic as hell.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 03:05:28 PM
My only interaction with Tek is through his very minor henchmen, the city guards and the one odd templar. Those interactions were very well done (particularly the guards) but I have literally never seen anything that would so much as remind you that there's a dragon up there in that tower. Other than some automated NPC's who walk past the bar shouting about devotions.

It feels like any other medieval fantasy city setting to a newcomer, other than being in the desert and very Dark Sun inspired. The city is well-built from a building perspective and the descriptions are good and engaging. Just the way the game plays out most days is that you couldn't care less about Kim Jong Dragon up there in his tower. Was that the way y'all were intending for it to go? Because if so you nailed it. :)

I like to think of Tek as the absentee despot. Just when folks get comfortable and think he's not watching... a dragon shows up and drops a volcano on you.

Quote from: Jihelu on March 07, 2016, 03:41:25 PM

I also find it funny that due to ic you'll never see someone in Allanak mention or even know of how Tek murdered his dad. Theres even a fancy little story should you ask what happened to his dad...it's ironic as hell.

Possibly in the old "Coming soon..." thread in Staff Announcements. Some good reads there.

Quote from: palomar on March 07, 2016, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on March 07, 2016, 03:41:25 PM

Possibly in the old "Coming soon..." thread in Staff Announcements. Some good reads there.

It was one of the "Coming soon" threads, yes.

Lots of interesting reading in those.  Makes you think about just how connected a lot of the Known world really is, especially when you read it in conjunction with the History page.

Holy shit...
Muk Utep is actually not an ass hole.
Holy shit.
Tektolansaeasesa is fucking insane.
Like actually mentally crazy.
He taunts his dads corpse and listens to his templars praying just in spite, and one made him so god damn mad he became a dragon just to stomp a bunch of soldiers.
Atleast Muk Utep seems to have some calculating shit to himself but fucking Jesus Tek just wants the world to burn.

Pls reopen Tuluk Allanak is too evil for me

In Dark Sun, the Dragon demanded a sacrifice of mortals that he would drain for power from all of the cities.

Also sorcerer kings want to avoid battle because they are in fact mortal, can be killed, have limited mana and resources, etc.  My suspicion is that turning into a dragon probably costs Tek something significant in terms of non-renewable power, or else he'd do it more often.

Besides that baseless assumption, I'm pretty sure there's more going on with Tekky Tek than meets the eye.  I'd say 'find out IC' but you probably need to be both 1. a sponsored role and 2. have a plot fall in your lap.

Personally I'd like to see more of the existing 'secrets' come out into the open, and new ones created.

If its like Dark Sun then Tek is still a dragon and we just haven't seen him.
Cause you cant reverse no dragon form.
You are stuck as that.

Quote from: Jihelu on March 08, 2016, 12:36:31 AM
If its like Dark Sun then Tek is still a dragon and we just haven't seen him.
Cause you cant reverse no dragon form.
You are stuck as that.

True, enough.

Then again, Athasian dragons don't have wings.

Tek, as a dragon, has been shown to have them.

Zalanthan dragons may be quite different as far as what is and what is not allowed to them, to include shape-changing.

I'm pretty sure tek's tower isn't big enough to fit a dragon inside of.

Quote from: Miradus on March 07, 2016, 01:18:46 PM
Why does he even have a city? This is what I don't understand.

He doesn't give a flying chalton-chip that people die of thirst in his streets

Could they same not be said of such real world leaders as Muammar Gaddafi, Joseph Stalin, or Augusto Pinoche? It isn't a lack of resources in these countries causing the rampant poverty and starvation, it's the leadership. And in the case of Tektolnes, a weak and malleable majority is probably intentional.

Quote from: Erythil on March 08, 2016, 05:07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure tek's tower isn't big enough to fit a dragon inside of.

It's a pretty big tower.

http://chapleau.us/Img/DarkSun.Dragon.jpg
Also that has wings.

Quote from: Suhuy on March 08, 2016, 06:29:59 AM

Could they same not be said of such real world leaders as Muammar Gaddafi, Joseph Stalin, or Augusto Pinoche? It isn't a lack of resources in these countries causing the rampant poverty and starvation, it's the leadership. And in the case of Tektolnes, a weak and malleable majority is probably intentional.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Suhuy on March 08, 2016, 06:29:59 AM

Not sure. They aren't sorcerers. They don't really need people to go out and do their will, for the most part. It's feasible that Tek wants his coffee and cinnamon roll brought to him every morning and needs infrastructure for that to happen (can't sorcerer up a cinny roll) but that's about the only mundane reason I can think of.

BadSkeelz's vague hint made more sense though. He's sucking the life force out of them. No wonder I feel so listless when I play in Nak.

Thats why the rp is bad in Nak right guys
/s