Highlord Tektolnes

Started by dravage, March 03, 2016, 09:07:57 AM

Hello!

I hope this isn't a silly question, and I can't imagine it hasn't been answered before somewhere, but I couldn't track down any past threads on the topic and figured I'd pose a few questions and hypothetical after reading some of the documentation. I understand that there are two angles to the answer as well: 1. That which is generally "known" by the average person in game and 2. That which is fact (and likely won't be laid bare here).

The question is: what does Highlord Tektolnes do exactly? But more specifically:

• What are his goals? Or what does the average commoner believe he's striving to do?
  • Does he have enemies?
  • Has there ever been any threat to his life, despite living for millenia?
  • What are the implications if he does die?
  • Do Templars also fear him, for fear he can remove their power when he likes?
  • Has he ever been seen?

I assume that he's supposed to be a figure of mystery, IC and OOC, but figured I'd try my luck for any snippets out there not in the documentation!
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

1. Tektolnes is inscrutable to the average commoner.
2. Tuluk. Otherwise find out IC.
3. Find out IC.
4. Find out IC.
5. Ask a Templar. Cannot guarantee the conversation will go well.
6. The steel dragon statue was made in his honor when he polymorphed into a dragon to destroy an occupying dwarven army. His face is also on all Allanaki coins and all Templars' medallions.

March 03, 2016, 09:39:12 AM #2 Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:41:19 AM by Desertman
Tektolnes would be viewed as a deity both awesome and terrible in Allanak. Templars would fear him as much as they revere him for the most part.

He wouldn't be seen as a mortal man by the vast majority of the population up to and including many of his own Templars.

He was seen in the form of a dragon to wipe out the dwarven scourge when they tried to lay siege to Allanak a long time ago. At least, legend says it was him.

I would imagine his people would view his "goals" and "ambitions" with the same unknowing mystery most people view their own religion in IRL.

A sort of, "Who knows, we better not question it, all we know is we revere it out of fear of what happens if we don't.".

That sort of thing.

In Tuluk...eh, I can't be ass'ed to get into that. Suffice to say they would view Tektolnes basically the way the christians view Satan, more or less. (While making allowances for changes in the story and lore of course.)

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'll try to answer these more in the "Heres what would happen in Dark Sun "Method.
It's like how you can find out about Avangions.
Of course things are different but it's enough to get a grasp.
Also you probably wouldn't know ic for most shit but yolo

What are his goals? Or what does the average commoner believe he's striving to do? Fuck if I know. In Dark Sun dragons were feral crazy beasts that were evil af so maybe Tektolnas is a crazy ass hole. Who knows.
    Does he have enemies?
You know that city up North.
    Has there ever been any threat to his life, despite living for millenia? I mean.
Tuluk is in the North.
    What are the implications if he does die? In Dark Sun one of the Sorcerer Kings died and all the Templars in the city loss their given powers. Some still had magic cause if you were smart you took levels in wizard, something that doesn't work in Arm cause you don't level up and shit. Take that as you will.
    Do Templars also fear him, for fear he can remove their power when he likes? Templars gain their power from the king. This power can be gifted and taken at will from what I get from Dark Sun. Take that as you will.
    Has he ever been seen?: Well you can probably guess he would have been seen in the guise of the dragon. That and the coins have his face on them. He probably looks generic af like a 'super stronk human'. That and the dragon statue.

March 03, 2016, 12:04:31 PM #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:10:00 PM by wizturbo
Some answers are available IC.  Pretty hard to find though.

Quote from: wizturbo on March 03, 2016, 12:04:31 PM
Some answers are available IC.  Pretty hard to find though.

"Hey, Mister Templar. You work for the big guy, right? Anyone ever try to kill him? You afraid someone might?"

I see so many problems with the "find out IC" answer to this line of questioning. Frankly, this sort of history should be available somewhere as it would be to literally ANYONE growing up in Allanak. "Find out IC" when your Nak-born character would ALREADY know IC ...

Also, how do the coins have his face on them? Aren't they just chips of obsidian? Someone buys my baobab log in Morin's and it's got Tek's face on it?

Give me a minute and I'll try to get my disbelief suspension back up and operational. It's failing me for the moment.

Allanaki coins and Templar medallions both bear the image of the face of Tektolnes

All right, so, none of this is secret information, I figure it'll all be on the history page, so...

1.  What are his goals? Or what does the average commoner believe he's striving to do?
He's an unknowable deity to the eyes of most of the people.

2.  Does he have enemies?
Muk Utep, King of Tuluk.  Former enemies include Luir the Dragonsthrall, who he killed, and Valusurus, king of Steinal, who he killed (along with his entire city).  There is also another nameless Dragon who is even eviller than Tektolnes is, that may still be out there somewhere.

3.  Has there ever been any threat to his life, despite living for millenia?
Yes, but nothing the common people would know about.

4.  What are the implications if he does die?
Most of the templar would lose their power, and the vacuum would create a bloody power struggle with the remaining templar and nobles vying for control, most likely.

5.  Do Templars also fear him, for fear he can remove their power when he likes?
This varies.  Some fear him, some respect him, etc.  All of them would fear getting on his bad side.  Darth Vader rules for failure apply.

6.  Has he ever been seen?
He hasn't been seen in human form for a long time, but he's been seen as a dragon within living memory when he flew from his tower to join his army attacking Tuluk in the battle at Tyn Dashra.  He also destroyed the giant volcano that used to be present south of town at this time.  Your character would probably have heard about this, and the other two legendary instances where he appeared as a dragon.

By contrast, Muk Utep shows up as himself every now and then, in Tuluk (or so it appears -- a southerner might think it's just a body double!)

Allanaki coins have a chest on one side and a cross on the other. As far as I can tell, there is no Tek face on the coins.

Allanaki coins are used in Tuluk because most of Tuluk's current economy was established during the Allanaki occupation.

Yeah, and templar medallions are described as holding 'the symbol of Tektolnes,' not his face.

Which I guess could be anything, I imagine a simple dragon's head.

I know about other implications if Tektolnes dies as well. I try not to find out the mysteries though for the most past cause I like keeping them mysterious.

March 04, 2016, 12:03:24 AM #12 Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:19:25 AM by BadSkeelz
There are actually some interesting resources about the common perception/depiction of Tek  in-game that don't require you to be a sponsored role to access.

Hey guys, lets remember to keep information about previous characters to a minimum.

Quote from: Erythil on March 03, 2016, 06:56:33 PM
Yeah, and templar medallions are described as holding 'the symbol of Tektolnes,' not his face.

Pretty sure staff came out and said that the symbol of Tektolnes there is Chuck Norris's face.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,39373.0.html

Which settled a long-standing question I always had: Is Tek a dwarf?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on March 04, 2016, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: Erythil on March 03, 2016, 06:56:33 PM

Pretty sure staff came out and said that the symbol of Tektolnes there is Chuck Norris's face.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,39373.0.html

Which settled a long-standing question I always had: Is Tek a dwarf?

Only part, I would imagine.  The Staff posts on the forum have shown that Tek's Grandmother, Allanak, was human as was his daddy.  Tek's been shown to have daddy issues and been a mamma's boy, so if his mother was a dwarf, that would make him a Mul..

..it all makes sense, now!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The Highlord Rektolnes
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

In summary then, the Highlord is a badass.

Thank you for the detailed replies guys, definitely have a much better idea of this now! :)
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

Well think about it.
These fuckers have been alive for years.
Muk Utep even, from what documentation hints, fought the fucking Dragon and he doesn't even have, supposedly maybe who knows@!#@!#!@#!, great magics.

i thought both city-states were ruled by sorcerer-kings.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on March 04, 2016, 10:38:21 PM
i thought both city-states were ruled by sorcerer-kings.
Well yeah.
But yeah.

Why does he even have a city? This is what I don't understand.

He doesn't give a flying chalton-chip that people die of thirst in his streets and he's so insanely over the top that he doesn't need an army ... why bother to have a city develop around the foot of his tower? Does he ever look outside and go, "You know, the stink is starting to get to me" and just come down and wipe it off the map?

Find out ic.
Conspiracy theory it up.

If you think about the "Sorcerer" part of the "Sorcerer-King" title and what it usually takes to power sorcery... you can start to make some guesses about why he might want a bunch of lifeforms clustering close by.

OOCly, of course. In-character commoners don't know He's a Sorcerer and only know that it is divine favor that allows them to live within sight of His tower.

So he's sucking the soul out of all the citizenry?

Yeesh. Good thing it's an election year.

#AnyoneButTek2016