Posting on the rumor board

Started by Iiyola, February 26, 2016, 10:58:45 AM

I've always ALWAYS had trouble writing a post on the board. The outlining never ever works for me for some reason (I have the same problem when I write my desc in the client).

Any tips (besides the help file) that actually helps me to outline the damn message? How many words per line for instance?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on February 26, 2016, 10:58:45 AM
I've always ALWAYS had trouble writing a post on the board. The outlining never ever works for me for some reason (I have the same problem when I write my desc in the client).

Any tips (besides the help file) that actually helps me to outline the damn message? How many words per line for instance?

Should be 80 characters. You might need to leave one or two off to avoid the 1 character wrap. I haven't tested extensively. This includes spaces, of course.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

James deMonet has a text editor and other cool tools in this thread:

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,47185.msg837909.html#msg837909

also don't forget to "write board" after you leave your board post so the board gets saved.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

You guys are awesome! You too, James!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

My personal low-grade hack is to copy the Writing Ruler out of the client, paste it into a Notepad file, and then size the Notepad window so that it's no larger than the ruler. Make sure word wrap is on and write the message in note pad. When you're ready to post a message board, copy line by line from Notepad in to the game client.

Works for the Character Creation process as well.

From help write:
          .f            format the text into ONE paragraph.
          .i            format the text into one or more, indented paragraphs.

I write mine up in notepad, cut-and-paste, and then jam .f or .i when I'm done.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I just checked the editor help file and I noticed something new. How long have we had this new ruler option?
Quote.r     Display a 75-character ruler.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

That's something of a bug, IIRC. The ruler is 80 characters.

Quote from: nauta on February 26, 2016, 01:29:01 PM
From help write:
          .f            format the text into ONE paragraph.
          .i            format the text into one or more, indented paragraphs.

I write mine up in notepad, cut-and-paste, and then jam .f or .i when I'm done.

That's what I do also.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 26, 2016, 03:22:05 PM
That's something of a bug, IIRC. The ruler is 80 characters.

It's been there for ages, methinks.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

So how do you save a rumor? I tried 'save board', it doesn't work. So I gave up with writing rumors on the rumor board because mine keeps disappearing.

I'm afraid to try 'write board'. Will it start up a new topic? That'll be awkward.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Kankfly on February 28, 2016, 06:55:06 AM
So how do you save a rumor? I tried 'save board', it doesn't work. So I gave up with writing rumors on the rumor board because mine keeps disappearing.

I'm afraid to try 'write board'. Will it start up a new topic? That'll be awkward.

A blank post is better than losing your posts, right? I've never tried it, but I don't have a reason to write 'em. Might as well.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: Kankfly on February 28, 2016, 06:55:06 AM

'write board' is the way to do it.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Bulletin%20Boards

QuoteIn various places across Zalanthas, there are bulletin boards for writing messages. Not all bulletin boards carry the same set of messages. To see all of the messages on a board, type "look board". To read a specific message, type "read <board> <message number>".

To write a message of your own, type "write <board> <message title>". You will then enter the game's text editor, enter the text of your message, and use the tilde (~) character to end your message. You will need to type "write <board>", once you have exited the text editor, for the message to be saved. If you don't save the message by using "write <board>", then your message will be lost at the next reboot.

While anyone can write on any board, players cannot remove messages from any board once they are written, so it is a good idea to prepare your message before entering it.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House