Aging

Started by JackGibbons, February 19, 2016, 10:13:39 AM

Quote from: Culinary Critic on February 23, 2016, 09:53:56 PM
And off topic!

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 19, 2016, 03:35:42 PM
Quote from: Riev on February 19, 2016, 02:34:54 PM
On a scale of 1-20... you might have been on like the 16 (17) that denominates Exceptional and dropped off one point. Remember, stats change but there are ranges within the ranges.

Also. Stats only matter at 0-5 days played, and 40+. Everything else tends to be dominated by skills and rolls. (Assuming by 40days of play you are about the highest youll get in a skill with semi consistent practice)

It is around 40 days and there seems to be a bit of room for progress still but much has been made. It was just depressing that having finally reached such an achievement but still being short of the summit, that he's already falling apart. You guys are right that a few HP aren't generally life and death; it's just the downward trend itself that means time to start all over for 40 days because who knows if in six weeks or twelve or eighteen there won't be another noticeable drop.

Except I won't, because as I said, the RP is good and that takes precedence. I just wish he had an accomplished career behind him instead of only really just beginning one because I took half a year off and started him at 32.

This part.  The bolded part...that I bolded.  Hi!  Welcome to middle life (you young...blah blah blah)!  Believe it or not, this will happen to you too.

Second, FANTASTIC that you respond to this in such a way.  It's really getting into your character, feeling his/her aches and pains, knowing that the black fist of death is coming for you...perhaps sooner than you had thought.

I officially love this thread.  For a lot of reasons.

I get your pain, but, honestly, it makes things just a little bit more real for me.

"Hey!  It's my birthday!  Right now!"  Not flaming, but it's a little odd that the civilizations on the Big Z (particularly the commoners and slaves who...how do they remember when their birthdays are anyway?) celebrate birthdays, excluding nobility and upwards.

And the sudden "you've aged a year" followed by the sudden "it hurts when you pee"...a bit jarring.  But the aging code, I like it.

I remember when one of the other scout dads told my father on a campout that he'd just turned 40 and didn't know where the time went. It's coming!.
Still got a ways for that RL though. Can't wait  :P
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Become a sorcerer and learn the ole live forever spell.
Was that a thing in Dark Sun? I'm pretty sure avangions/dragons could live forever but thats a whole different thing.

February 24, 2016, 01:13:24 AM #27 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:06:50 AM by Gunnerblaster
Yeah, once you play a character over 50, come back and talk to me about aging suckage...

But, yeah, the age code does definitely help you feel that though you, as a player, aren't aging - You're playing someone's life out who is. It's fun to roleplay that aspect as they begin to come to terms with their mortality - If not death by savage beasts or man, but death simply by age. Outliving the worst horrors possible to die to one inevitable killer of all.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

All races have a range of possible numeric values for each stat, just like in Dungeons and Dragons or whatever tabletop game you play.

These numeric values are generalized to our scale of "poor", "good", "exceptional" etc.  Sometimes you will age and your strength will go up, but the player won't even realize it because the jump didn't move you from average to above average, even though your strength is actually better for all practical purposes.

Long story short, your attributes are changing all the time behind the scenes (well, at least on your birthdays) and as a player you don't see 90% of it.  It's not worth worrying about, just play what you want to play.   :)

P.S.  Staff do get an alert when someone logs in and they get a stat adjustment.  Occasionally someone will log into the game after a 5 real life year hiatus and age from 35 to 80 or whatever, then you see a BIG jump.  ;-)

Quote from: seidhr on February 24, 2016, 11:13:47 AM
All races have a range of possible numeric values for each stat, just like in Dungeons and Dragons or whatever tabletop game you play.

These numeric values are generalized to our scale of "poor", "good", "exceptional" etc.  Sometimes you will age and your strength will go up, but the player won't even realize it because the jump didn't move you from average to above average, even though your strength is actually better for all practical purposes.

Long story short, your attributes are changing all the time behind the scenes (well, at least on your birthdays) and as a player you don't see 90% of it.  It's not worth worrying about, just play what you want to play.   :)

P.S.  Staff do get an alert when someone logs in and they get a stat adjustment.  Occasionally someone will log into the game after a 5 real life year hiatus and age from 35 to 80 or whatever, then you see a BIG jump.  ;-)
in wisdom

say goodbye to every other stat though :3
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 24, 2016, 11:23:19 AM
in wisdom

say goodbye to every other stat though :3

Hey I didn't say if we were talking about a jump up or a jump down.  ;-)  The wisdom stat increase is pretty mild compared to the ravages of aging screwing up your physical stats, as anyone who has ever played a senior citizen on ArmageddonMUD could attest to.  Heh.

maybe that should be tweaked a teeny bit to give long liveds some longevity

oh wait, how many pcs have actually survived 40+ ic years? huh.

huh.

shit.

new goal.

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 24, 2016, 01:08:09 PM
maybe that should be tweaked a teeny bit to give long liveds some longevity

oh wait, how many pcs have actually survived 40+ ic years? huh.

huh.

shit.

new goal.

We had a dwarf make it to 100, once.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

We had a guy log in one night who was in jail, in Tuluk, and he aged from something like 25 to 117 (yes, it was like 10+ RL years since'd logged in).  I believe Natious was the staffer who gave him a pretty sweet echo that he pulled from Twin Peaks or something and gave him a heart attack so he could start new PC.  Pretty funny.

Prison life is hard.

Ugh.
I should make a dwarf at the youngest age who's life goal is to die of old age.

a dwarf made it to HOW OLD?

jeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

who was that dwarf?

I think my record is about 55 years, but I'm not certain.