Author Topic: MDs, RNs, Athletes, and Soldiers (I need your help!)  (Read 2517 times)

James de Monet

MDs, RNs, Athletes, and Soldiers (I need your help!)
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »
Doctors, Nurses, Athletes, and Soldiers! (And other injury savvy or injury-prone people!) I need your help!

As you guys may know, I have been working on a MUSHclient mod for Armageddon that tracks damage to the various parts of the body and shows them on a paper doll.  It also allows you to enable a system that tracks damage over time to those parts of the body, and if you take a significant amount to a certain body part without healing first, it will apply a minor or major wound (accordingly) to that body part, and set a healing timer for it that is independent of your health regen time.

Minor wounds can vary from things like bloody noses and large bruises to things like minor fractures.  These are basically intended to be somewhat debilitating, but neither permanent nor life threatening.

Major wounds can vary from things like broken bones and dislocations to things like losing an eye or having your windpipe crushed.  These are intended to require your character to seek IC medical aid (sometimes within minutes!) before they will be able to fully heal.

I am also implementing a system that will allow you to apply diseases to your character in game.

That being said, all these wounds require a lot of planning and I need your guys input!  The table below divides the wounds up by body part, severity (major/minor), name, percent chance of occurence*, real life hours to heal**, initial message, heal message, and ambient message(s).

There are two types of messages that can be employed by the mod, client messages (or "tells") and game commands (or "sends").  Using client messages, we can tell the player anything we want, like "Your insides churn as a small grey form bursts from your ribcage singing, 'Hello, my baby!  Hello, my darling!  Hello, my ragtime gallllllll!'"  That works fine!  Only the player will see it, however.  Game commands allow us to actually send emotes/feels/etc to the game, like "pemote Blood sprays from @ face as ^me nose crumples under a blow!" or "feel something crack in ^me spine as !me are struck" (staff - feel free to weight in on the use of "feel" like that.  I've never been quite clear if it was okay for physical sensations).

Here are the injuries that I have so far (you may note they all have the same default healing time and messages, for now), followed by a table of diseases from the docs.  What I would love is for people to take a given injury or disease and propose messages, RL healing time, etc. for it, or propose new injuries if you have ideas for them!

*The collective percent chances to occur for a given body/severity combo do not need to add up to 100, it just helps humans in thinking about it if they do.

**This should be time to heal with only minor or rudimentary aid given.  There is a "Heal..." button that pops up on the damage mod whenever anyone has received a wound that can be used to heal injuries early if the character goes to get medical attention (or if dealing with an injury would negatively impact play, for some reason, and you'd rather just get rid of it!)

Body PartWound LevelWound NameChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s) (use ; to separate)
headminorbloody nose301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminorblack eye201tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminorfat lip201tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminorbroken nose51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminorswollen shut eye51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminorlost tooth51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headminornothing151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorsplit scalp101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorbroken jaw101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorlost eye101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorlost ear101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorbroken cheekbone101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorlost nose101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajorlost multiple teeth101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajordamaged face101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
headmajornothing101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckminorlightheadedness301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckminortrouble breathing151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckminortweaked neck151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckminorpinched nerve151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckminornothing251tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckmajorcrushed windpipe151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckmajorruptured artery151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckmajorcracked vertebrae151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckmajorbroken collarbone151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
neckmajornothing401tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodyminorgut pain301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodyminorbruised abs201tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodyminortweaked back151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodyminorcracked rib51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodyminornothing301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodymajorbroken rib101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodymajorcracked vertebrae101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodymajorinternal bleeding101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodymajorkidney damage101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
bodymajorpartially eviscerated51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armminordead arm301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armminorbad bruise201tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armminorjoint pain151tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armminorminor fracture51tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armminornothing301tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajorshoulder out of socket101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajorcompound fracture101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajorbroken arm101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajorseparated muscle101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajorligament damage101tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
armmajornothing501tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
wristminornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
wristmajornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
handminornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
handmajornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
waistminornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
waistmajornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
legminornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
legmajornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
footminornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.
footmajornothing1001tell You've been wounded!tell You recover from your wound.tell You suffer from your wound.

Body PartWound LevelWound NameChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s) (use ; to separate)
BodyDiseaseBoilsChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseDysenteryChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseIvory-Salt SicknessChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseLoverís BleedChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseRaza RazaChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseSand RotChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseStingsChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseChest DecayChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseGangreneChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseKank FleasChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseMaar PoxChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseSand FeverChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseScrub FeverChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseYellow PlagueChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseCilops KissChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseHeat SplotchChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseSand FleasChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseSlough SkinChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)
BodyDiseaseZagu LaChance ValueHours to HealInitial MessageHeal MessageAmbient Message(s)

(I excluded some of the diseases that I knew had coded echos, for the sake of not doubling effects.  There may be more I am unaware of.)
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Synthesis

Re: MDs, RNs, Athletes, and Soldiers (I need your help!)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
How realistic are you looking for?

Typically people don't want to wait 6-8 weeks in a game for say, a broken bone to recover (assuming it was properly set and immobilized).

For severed arteries...nothing's going to fix that, short of amputating proximal to the injury or magick.  If it's junctional (axilla, groin), you're just fucked in general.

If your trachea is crushed in a low-tech setting, you're toast.

Internal bleeding:  toast.

Partially eviscerated:  toast.

Amputated bits and pieces: say goodbye, because they're gone

Compound fracture:  amputate or toast

Scalp laceration I'd treat as I don't know...maybe 1 or 2 steps up in severity from an equivalent laceration elsewhere, capable of killing you by exsanguination rather quickly if not addressed properly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

CodeMaster

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:17:44 PM »
I had a shoulder separation once.  Super common injury in judo and hockey.  Mine was mild enough and didn't require any surgery, but I have a modest bump on my shoulder, and that's typically how I identify people (especially during the summer) who've had the same injury.  My arm was pretty lame for the first few days following.  Had to rest my arm on the dinner table because it was painful to let it hang.  Had difficulty driving stick.  Experienced some loss of strength in that arm, but I was pretty diligent with physio and now it's as good as it's ever been.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

James de Monet

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
How realistic are you looking for?

Well, that actually kinda depends on how realistic other people are looking for.

I'm definitely not looking to put someone in a position where they either have to kill off their character or feel bad about their RP realism.  This is intended as a tool to help people RP injuries and damage more realistically, and add some rings for people to clip in and ride the story as it happens.

Having a trio of hunters struggling to throw together a litter to carry their friend who broke his leg, or having a group of Byn having to make some hard choices about whether to ditch the contract to drag some Runner back to Nak to see the sawbones before his injuries become permanent is what I like.  It adds to the game.  Barely surviving a tarantula attack, just to get a crit fail roll that says, "His last bite severed your carotid.  Say goodnight Gracie." does not add to the game.

I imagine for most people who would be interested in this sort of thing, a broken arm would lead to a few RL days of using 1H only in combat, followed a few days of '>em winces, favoring his left arm as he swings'.  Plus, it creates a totally emotive, but non-virtual market for the skills of medics.  But then...there's those that offer that quick and easy out for a debilitating injury...at the low, low cost of part of your dark, dusty soul...
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

evilcabbage

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
maybe be less specific.

do it kind of like soi did

minors, moderate, severe  (contusion, cut, gouge, stab, scratch), stuff like that.

easier to manage that than compound fracture (left forearm)
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Desertman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
Kicked in the dick.

Physical recovery time, five to ten minutes.

Psychological recover time...possibly never.

"Fractured Orbital" is actually a pretty common one. It's a broken eye-socket basically. If it isn't just absolutely shattered - 6 - 8 weeks.

Broken Hand is also really common. 4 - 6 weeks depending on the severity.

Same goes for Broken Foot.

(All of my experience is in unarmed combat. You might keep that in mind.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:52:08 PM by Desertman »
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Harmless

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:02:04 AM »
Dragonrealms' system included lethal injuries (which were codedly lethal, would kill you in a few minutes if not addressed immediately) and a fun bleeding simulation system, infection system, and amputations. The only way to address them was healing magic, so the healer class (only one healer class out of 9 classes in game, empath), was vital to keeping people alive. Severe injuries never healed on their own and required constant skillful first aid to manage.

Armageddon could use severe, life-threatening injuries, but arma is also permanent death, and healing magic is rare though it exists in Zalanthas.

Arma also has a much more lethal combat system, where if you take roughly 100 hp of damage you're dead. That's a few hits.

The way I always envisioned the limited hp was that any injury sustained that doesn't bring you to about 0 hp wasn't lethal, terminal.

This means that it's pretty ridiculous for people to be roleplaying broken limbs with an hp loss of 40-50. If it's not enough to take you down and be unable to move or do anything, then it probably wasn't a broken limb.

The point of 0 through -9 hp should be that you are so wounded that you can't move or act normally; your lung is punctured, your limb IS broken, you have suffered extreme blood loss and are fainting, etc.

When someone is incapacitated, it IS very easy to kill them. They can't defend themself from a slow, aimed stab into the neck.

But prior to having 0 hp, it's difficult to land lethal injuries on someone, because codedly, having 1 through max hp are all equal in terms of your ability to fight, dodge, move, run, rest, Way, cast, etc etc.

That is why I RP all injuries that don't take me to 0 as being non-lethal (I rarely do the broken bones thing). I RP Hp values that are very low as being SERIOUSLY injured (with extreme pain), but not irreversibly; time will eventually heal all those injuries.

Not everyone wants to RP things this way, but the code works only in certain ways and I find it easy to handle injuries as above.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

fourTwenty

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
Off subject but I just wanted to say as a paramedic I feel sad and left out of your initial request.
Quote from: Riev
roleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

James de Monet

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
Off subject but I just wanted to say as a paramedic I feel sad and left out of your initial request.

Heh, that's why I used the catchall "injury-savvy people"!  I had to shorten everything so it would show in the homepage title, but I still need your help!