Addendum: MDesc Hiding Items that Let's TDesc be seen

Started by John, February 14, 2016, 05:59:14 PM

Should items that hide mdescs be brought back?

Yes, and they should hide both mdesc and tdesc
2 (20%)
Yes, but they should still let the tdesc be visible
4 (40%)
No
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 14, 2016, 06:59:14 PM

So as an addendum to this thread, should the mdesc hiding items be brought back but make a tdesc description mandatory?

Given the code exists for hiding mdescs I doubt it would be too difficult to force a player when they wear an mdesc hiding item to automatically get taken to the tdesc editing screen. The tdesc screen could also say the following
Enter a temporary description. If you were brought to this screen by
putting an item on you MUST enter in a description that describes what
you look like with your face hidden by the item. Failure to put in an
appropriate description that describes the rest of your body will be
considered breaking the rules and dealt with accordingly.

Text Editor: (320 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]
Will this still allow people to abuse it? Sure. But people currently abuse the system by having mdescs be viewable. In this system, the chance for abuse would fall onto the player with the mdesc hiding item (as it was back in the day) which (IMO) is much more easily monitored. Not saying it's easily monitored, just easier to monitor then the current system we have.

The logic used for the removal of mdesc hiding items was as follows:

• Players were complaining about the abuse by characters with this item: I'm addressing this with a poll to see if my proposal would make the majority of players happy.
  • Mdesc hiding items require a custom desc be made by the object creator that will appear for all players who wear the item: No longer true. It is up to players to craft their own description now.
  • People wearing the items abused the system: People currently abuse the system. At least this way when a staff member sees someone wearing a mask without a tdesc they know with 100% certainty who is abusing the system and can act appropriately (I assume initially warn the person and then escalate from there). Currently there have been little to no enforcement (AFAIK) by staff in stopping people from reporting full mdescs of characters when that character is covered from head to toe.
  • Players constantly wear their hoods up: Removal of mdesc items has done nothing to curtail this behaviour so therefore this measure has been a failure for this goal.

What do people think?