medieval warfare tactics as recorded by cabbages

Started by evilcabbage, February 12, 2016, 05:56:41 PM

February 12, 2016, 05:56:41 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:00:57 PM by evilcabbage
welcome, young cabbages.

we have here a lesson on bastard swords, what they are, and how they can be used properly.

so those gigantic monster swords you people are crafting really aren't bastard swords.

or maybe i imagine them as bigger than they are for some reason. anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWuJQ2QkG04

back in the day, they just called them 'swords' basically.

longer swords were 'long' swords.

and there is a difference between an arming sword and a long sword.

so, when designing your weapons, take some of this into consideration. this is all very good information.

also good information for those who want to learn about medieval combat. and just weapons in general. he has lots of great videos.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

No, really. Anything more technologically advanced/deadly than bronze is something Zalanthas simply doesn't/shouldn't have; those crossbows are already stretching it imo.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

zalanthas has iron and, by extension, steel.

these are more to point towards real-world comparisons for things we have in game. like actual bastard swords that are in game.

or how powerful a crossbow is compared to a normal bow.

it's good stuff to know.

The only steel I know of is possessed by Muk, GOD BLESS THE SUNKING, Utep.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 12, 2016, 10:47:05 PM

You mean other than that REALLY BIG STEEL DRAGON outside the Allanak gate right?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 12, 2016, 11:30:56 PM

You mean other than that REALLY BIG STEEL DRAGON outside the Allanak gate right?
That doesn't exist.
Propaganda from the evil highlord of the south.

I tried to break a piece of the dragon off and steal it once, didn't end well for me.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on February 13, 2016, 12:04:27 AM

I tried to break a piece of the dragon off and steal it once, didn't end well for me.

Hey, so did Lizzie, if I remember correctly.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 13, 2016, 12:37:29 AM
Why didn't it go well.
If I remember right, staff animated the guards and had me drug off to jail, then a Tenplar came and murdered me in the cell.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 12, 2016, 09:07:13 PM
zalanthas has iron and, by extension, steel.

these are more to point towards real-world comparisons for things we have in game. like actual bastard swords that are in game.

or how powerful a crossbow is compared to a normal bow.

it's good stuff to know.

That's kind of the point I'm making, though. No culture on earth without sophisticated metallurgy has created such large swords or any crossbows whatsoever. Comparing swords from reality crafted by people with modern science at their backs with Zalanthas' primitive technology will get you nowhere good.

Why couldn't a crossbow be made without metal? Or are you just saying everyone who made crossbows had metal first?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 13, 2016, 09:43:08 PM
Why couldn't a crossbow be made without metal? Or are you just saying everyone who made crossbows had metal first?

This is indeed what I'm saying. Even if they hadn't, a non-metal crossbow would break even more often than the metal ones already did, i.e. all the goddamn time.

There are a lot of crossbows with wooden limbs. The Chinese were using crossbows made entirely out of wood as late as 900 A.D.

I don't know if they were particular quality or just junk you arm your cannon fodder with, but there are a lot of examples of it. The Chinese did not have the necessity of punching a bolt through heavy cavalry or plate.

The crossbow evolved into the arbalest when it came to Europe around the 12th or 13th century. They had to use a stirrup or a special crank to wind back the string. They used metal limbs which put out an enormous amount of tension.

Quote from: Patuk on February 13, 2016, 09:44:25 PM

This is indeed what I'm saying. Even if they hadn't, a non-metal crossbow would break even more often than the metal ones already did, i.e. all the goddamn time.

Not necessarily..but I don't have any quotes or images to support this.  I only have a vague memory of a weapons textbook I read one time that gave a brief image and description of an ancient repeating-crossbow from China that was made entirely out of wood.

I can't speak as to how often it broke, but my opinion is like yours in that it would do so a lot.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

February 13, 2016, 10:22:21 PM #17 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:25:17 PM by evilcabbage
arbalest?

no no.

chu-ke nu.

chu ko nu.

that thing right?

highly inaccurate, the string was placed under a lot of strain, but otherwise it must have worked out well because it still gets used even today.

Yeah, that thing.

Arbalest was what the European version was called. The Chinese version, I dunno how long they used it. Clausewitz would not have approved.

February 13, 2016, 10:36:31 PM #19 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:38:09 PM by boog
Nevermind. I won't derail.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

February 13, 2016, 11:53:53 PM #20 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:57:57 PM by evilcabbage
arbalest was a one shot extremely powerful crossbow you had to crank to draw the string back.

chu-ko nu were rapid-fire crossbows that lacked in power but made up for it with sheer volume.

one guy with an arbalest can fire two bolts a minute.

a chu-ko nu could pump out like six bolts in fifteen seconds.

imagine twenty of that.

anyways, still. medieval warfare tactics, and their weapons, can still be drawn from and applied to zalanthas. this threads idea was to give you guys some pictures and videos of real world weaponry, then say, 'hey, we can draw a comparison to zalanthan weaponry, and make more educated decisions based on that about how our bahamet shell bastard sword is actually probably not quite as big as we think it is.

or how an actual war hammer was just a hammer. a long hafted hammer. often with a spike on it. or spikes on the head.

what i was aiming for, here, was to spark a discussion about comparisons and maybe even get some images of weapons that were used in the real world, to inspire some artistic master crafters on how to design their next weapon of doom.

a wood-shafted, spiked war-hammer is here.

If you like that guy you will probably also like Lindybeige.

I don't pay too much attention to weapons on ARM being realistic on account of the inherent ridiculousness of the materials involved in the creation of most of our weapons.  It feels more like Monster Hunter than Mount & Blade.

does the chakram/discus exist in zalanthia?  if so I would like to design a future character around them.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

The chakram does exist but I have only ever heard of...very specific groups using them. But I might just not be in the chakram loop.

Chakrams aren't specific to anybody to such a degree that I know about it. Fairly sure Salarr can make them? There are multiple types, I know for sure.