Odd quirks of code. (Offshoot of Random Arm Thought)

Started by Asmoth, February 11, 2016, 01:28:42 AM

There are some wonky things that don't make much sense beyond (That's how it's always been) reasoning.

Stamina regen: It regens when I sit, when I rest, but I could stand in a cool, shaded room for five ic days and still be exhausted.

Foraging takes stamina to simulate the effort in turning over rocks, and digging into salt etc. YET, fighting a scrab for ten minutes, takes absolutely no stamina.  You know, dodging and ducking from a huge bug intent to eat you, but turning over that rock, WOO it's exhausting. (Just using sarcasm to show the hilarity in it, don't get all butthurt.)

There is a no-save arrest, but there isn't a no-save fighting.  Certain aspects of code seem to kick in once you swing back.  So say I have two critters in the room and one attacks me, if I instantly type disengage, the other just goes about his business, but the minute I attack back, they jump your shit.  (Critters aside, think of how this functions with say, crime code)  It would stop people from instantly getting murdered by guards when maybe the militia pc or templar wanted to just beat the shit outta them.

Barrier can be crushed by literally anyone, I've had multiple characters with very high barrier that seemed to block nobody out (Now I understand there are other uses and this particular gripe is simply on the fact of keeping people outta my head, not those uses.)

Weather systems are laid out in an apparent grid.  Sure it's shitty here, but walk five rooms east and it's a calm day at the sauna.

While I understand it's probably coded this way, it would be cool if they weren't so, BOOM in your face that you walked into a different weather system.  Maybe have them gradually peter from full blown, you can't see your feet, sandstorm, to harsh winds, then a bit farther out calm.  Not Armageddon of weather to calm day.

Crafts: (This may be fixable some way with communication with staff, just not sure how you would go about it, question?)

You can make an item from a very readily available material and sell it for half a small, yet you find super rare, hard to find for anyone not a ranger material and make it into similar object and it's half the price.

Value Skill: As a skill, it's cool to know what it SHOULD be worth, but this skill has absolutely nothing to give you in relation to what the npc's will pay.  Perhaps if it was more in tune with where in the game world you are, and what X npc's who buy said shit are paying, it would be more useful.

Foraging: It should be less general, perhaps split off some of the forage categories to make them more useful without having to grind through five pounds of shit you have no desire to find.  Example: Forage stones find anything from sling ammo, all the way to the greatest gems in the known.  Maybe split that up.

That's all I can think of for now.

<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: evilcabbage on February 11, 2016, 01:53:13 AM
nosave combat
Holy shit...how did I not know this existed for SO fucking long...
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Quote from: Asmoth on February 11, 2016, 01:28:42 AM
Value Skill: As a skill, it's cool to know what it SHOULD be worth, but this skill has absolutely nothing to give you in relation to what the npc's will pay.  Perhaps if it was more in tune with where in the game world you are, and what X npc's who buy said shit are paying, it would be more useful.

This interests me, from playing for a long time an experience when I see a new item and value it (on a pc that has the skill anyway) it gives me the player a descent idea of how high end the product is. However, it's really not a good indicator for what the item is worth when it comes to trading. Would definitely be neat if you could tie the skill into some value for the zone. We know every merchant in nak pays more for wood because of some variations of a flag on the merchants. I imagine it would be possible to tie the skill into some broad use of that flag by zone. Would be awesome.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

QuoteForaging: It should be less general, perhaps split off some of the forage categories to make them more useful without having to grind through five pounds of shit you have no desire to find.  Example: Forage stones find anything from sling ammo, all the way to the greatest gems in the known.  Maybe split that up.

I agree with this one the most. Some rooms have such huge libraries of what you can find, it's ridiculous.

"forage ammo" -> separate arrowhead shards & sling ammunition from stone.
"forage gemstones" -> separate gems from stones.
"forage brush/kindling" -> separate grasses, twigs, reeds and vines from wood.

Barrier can be crushed by literally anyone, I've had multiple characters with very high barrier that seemed to block nobody out (Now I understand there are other uses and this particular gripe is simply on the fact of keeping people outta my head, not those uses.)

Curious how you know how many people have tried to contact you and been blocked.  Not saying barrier rocks and I get that the ones that get through are pretty obvious, but do you ask everyone that breaks your barrier "how many times did you have to try and contact me before you got through?"  You certainly can't ask the ones who didn't get through, because... well you'd never even know they came knocking unless they mentioned it.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on February 11, 2016, 10:02:08 AM

Curious how you know how many people have tried to contact you and been blocked.  Not saying barrier rocks and I get that the ones that get through are pretty obvious, but do you ask everyone that breaks your barrier "how many times did you have to try and contact me before you got through?"  You certainly can't ask the ones who didn't get through, because... well you'd never even know they came knocking unless they mentioned it.
I have asked people before at advanced/master and at most it took two tries.

Plus you get the suffer message when they attempt and you succeed.

''weather <direction>''
well... ya know... I guess it wouldn't hurt to put like a room object in a room before you enter a storm like,
"A wall of clouded sand and dust whirls about fiercly to the north"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

February 11, 2016, 11:08:07 AM #8 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:12:17 AM by manonfire
Not really a code quirk, but the air rooms are completely broken in some places.

From what I understand, your barrier skills vs. their contact skill isn't the only factor in preventing a crushed barrier.

Quote from: Majikal on February 11, 2016, 02:28:45 AM

This interests me, from playing for a long time an experience when I see a new item and value it (on a pc that has the skill anyway) it gives me the player a descent idea of how high end the product is. However, it's really not a good indicator for what the item is worth when it comes to trading. Would definitely be neat if you could tie the skill into some value for the zone. We know every merchant in nak pays more for wood because of some variations of a flag on the merchants. I imagine it would be possible to tie the skill into some broad use of that flag by zone. Would be awesome.

It's an excellent indicator of what an item is worth when it comes to trading, if you pay attention and find out what the material-type value modifiers are for every shopkeeper in the Known World.  In fact, without the value skill, you would never be able to ascertain what those modifiers are.

In fact, it's all you need.  It's exactly what you're asking for, you just have to "find out IC" for the extra little bit of information you need, which is perfectly fine.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Chettaman on February 11, 2016, 10:36:41 AM
''weather <direction>''
well... ya know... I guess it wouldn't hurt to put like a room object in a room before you enter a storm like,
"A wall of clouded sand and dust whirls about fiercly to the north"

One of the best weather systems I've seen implemented would give you a map of the region with characters representing the storm movement. So you could see if the area you were headed into was snowing, raining, etc. Essentially you could see the weather you were in and about 2 zones around you in all directions.

You can taste an item in the room, but you can't eat an item in the room.

You cannot assess something you wield or hold.  But you can assess something that's in your general inventory, so in essence you can inspect something in your cargo pocket, but not in your hand.

Opening a bag while resting.  You can't!  But you can make a chair and a dresser set while resting.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

You can't shoot someone down a hole or on the ground when you are on a rooftop, but someone down a hole or on the ground can shoot you. So much for taking the high ground.

May just be my mushclient, but when I connect I have to hit enter once and it tells me inproper choice, then I have to type c login password.

If I skip the first enter, it will show as I picked something inappropriate regardless what I type.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 08:24:59 PM
May just be my mushclient, but when I connect I have to hit enter once and it tells me inproper choice, then I have to type c login password.

If I skip the first enter, it will show as I picked something inappropriate regardless what I type.

Ditto.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: Inks on February 11, 2016, 10:35:20 PM
You can't shoot someone down a hole or on the ground when you are on a rooftop, but someone down a hole or on the ground can shoot you. So much for taking the high ground.

I think I figured this one out.

Most of the "up" rooms that are a straight line down are climb-checked so you have to hold on. "Over the edge" or "over the edge of a cliff" or something like that. If you let go to shoot then you would become a 7-9 stone projectile yourself.

The Cleaning Salt Mutant.

He can hand you a soapstone token in the exact same motion you hand him the salt.  But he has to individually hand you coins in increments.

I think this has to do with something Nesallin was talking about with old coded systems versus new coded systems.  Makes no fucking sense, and takes WAY too long when you're trying to go in and sell really quick and get out before a necker steals your mount.

Stolen from RAT.

Wearing gloves makes you easier to disarm by mechanics of the game.  Which as one of the guys on this forums who goes by lettuce or something said makes more sense.  A glove would help you grip the weapon more and hold it better, not worse.

call me lettuce again and i will eat your brain.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 15, 2016, 01:23:11 AM
Stolen from RAT.

Wearing gloves makes you easier to disarm by mechanics of the game.  Which as one of the guys on this forums who goes by lettuce or something said makes more sense.  A glove would help you grip the weapon more and hold it better, not worse.

Cross posting from RAT ... because there is another school of thought on this topic that is pretty well fleshed out per the words of ye old weapon and armor enthusiasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpurFCdTaqY

We Aren't talking about metal gauntlets.