Campfires

Started by Miradus, February 04, 2016, 03:15:39 PM

I have spent almost 2 game days now foraging all the components to build a campfire.

Are there objects in game which will let you build one quicker? Don't have to tell me what they are unless it's common knowledge, just curious whether or not they exist.

I feel like a character in a Jack London story at this point.

Were you parsing your forage search?

If you enter

>Forage food pies

You'll auto-discard all non-pie food you find. It may speed up your search for particular things a bit.

(It may be "Forage food for pies", I forget the exact syntax).

February 04, 2016, 03:22:22 PM #2 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:27:09 PM by nauta
Campfires.  A personal peeve of mine.  They are, with a few rare cases, just an RP prop like torches, yet they are incredibly hard to make and use: the materials are hard to gather, the materials are heavy, and campfires rip through materials really far too fast than they should.  The irony is that desert elves couldn't plausibly make campfires when on the run.

But, to answer the question, from HELP CAMPFIRE:

"Dung" can be crafted into dried dung, which can then be made into campfires.

From experience, the process of making a dung campfire is more time consuming than hiring the Byn to get branches (or going up there yourself).  I also think the recipe should be there for the dung campfire.

And it's 'forage X for Y', which doesn't improve your chances, it just forces you to junk things less.  However, what you want is 'forage kindling' (also in the helpfile on 'campfire').
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

For campfires, you need kindling and three of the same type of branches.

>craft kindling branch 2.branch 3.branch into fire

It has to be the exact same type of branch. I know, I know, but that's how it is.

Analyze a clump of kindling to get the recipe, or look for "kindling" type forage and experiment.

Thanks. I'll try some of these suggestions.

I recently learned how to make campfires from the small one up to the huge bonfire and so I make them in all of my "basecamps" when I'm exploring an area. Partly because I like the light and I can't make a torch (why not?) and partly because ... well ... making grilled food without a campfire seems silly.

As much trouble as they are to make, they ought to provide some non-prop bonuses, such as keeping monsters out of your room at night.

A neat side note:

You can bury your campfire when you are finished with it. (Or should be able to, haven't tested)

forage kindling

If there are any trees nearby you can break branches off of, you will probably save yourself a lot of time.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: nauta on February 04, 2016, 03:22:22 PM

From experience, the process of making a dung campfire is more time consuming than hiring the Byn to get branches (or going up there yourself).  I also think the recipe should be there for the dung campfire.

And it's 'forage X for Y', which doesn't improve your chances, it just forces you to junk things less.  However, what you want is 'forage kindling' (also in the helpfile on 'campfire').

Okay, I've tried and tried IG. I just want to make a fucking fire for some RP flavor. <help campfire> tells me I can make dried dung into a campfire.

What in the flippity fuck is the syntax to turn dung into a bleeding campfire? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

<craft kindling dung 2.dung 3.dung into a campfire> doesn't seem to work. Which is near as I can figure what it should be.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

1-3 branches ( I forget the amount)
Kindling, I think
That should let you make one.

I really want to tell you, but I think we can't.  It -really- should be in the help file, but here's a hint:

o it requires a certain type of dung (dried dung)

o it requires -only- dung

o it might require more than just three pieces
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

And what is the syntax for drying dung? That's the real mystery.

To answer RGS ^
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Coded campfires are just too much troubleas is. I just stick with virtual ones.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: Delirium on February 04, 2016, 03:23:29 PM
>craft kindling branch 2.branch 3.branch into fire

It has to be the exact same type of branch. I know, I know, but that's how it is.

Yeah, they're probably all separate recipes, so they decided, let's say we have 6 types of branches in game (I have no idea). Then they just have to make 6 crafts, each with 3x the same type. But to make mix and match work, they'd have to code '6 choose 3' recipes, which is 20. It gets worse if there are more than 6 types of branch. Though you could generate this all programmatically.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 28, 2016, 12:26:41 AM

To answer RGS ^

I've tried craft dung and gotten nothing. Is there a skill?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 28, 2016, 08:58:18 AM

To answer RGS ^

Find out IC, scrub!  Which I did a while ago -- it took me a few solid months of experimentation and staff reports, but: only some kinds of dung can be crafted, using the -craft- command into dried dung.

I feel bad that staff made you find something entirely code/syntac icly. It would be like telling people who want to know how to pick fruits from plants to find out IC.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 28, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
I feel bad that staff made you find something entirely code/syntac icly. It would be like telling people who want to know how to pick fruits from plants to find out IC.

It was frustrating.  I would run around town interviewing Shitcloaks on kinds of dung, since I had to go from 0 knowledge (i.e.: how do I dig up dung at the stables).  But!  To be fair to staff, I think they were also trying to figure it out too, and were really helpful on it.

There's a lot of tricks, and I think the help file should be updated on camp fire.  I'm going to suggest it in the improving the help file thread:

o Note: Only some kinds of dung objects can be crafted (see CRAFT) into dried dung.

o The recipe for a dung campfire is: craft X Y Z into campfire.

Last time I did it too, the campfire would go out before the craft command for the food that required a campfire would finish, so I could only cook one rat meat pie at a time, hehe!  I think they fixed that.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 28, 2016, 08:58:18 AM

To answer RGS ^

Fuck that find out IC noise on something that's a code question. If the staff disagrees they can delete this.

<craft dung>. You can make a dried piece of feces from that.
<craft dung into dried> Some shit starts happening.

That's how you dry the dung. I'm pretty sure it actually uses the cook skill if I'm not mistaken. Now how to go from dried dung to a fucking fire I have no flipping idea. Its driving me nuts.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Quote from: nauta on February 28, 2016, 10:16:56 AM
o The recipe for a dung campfire is: craft X Y Z into campfire.

Is it XYZ or is it X YYY or is it XXX? I've tried every combination I can think of. I'm about to take a shit on my keyboard light it on fire and say, "Oh, look. I've made a dung campfire."

From what I can tell, is you have to dry the dung first. Once it's been dried, you can then use it to make the campfire. So (without actual knowledge, this is just my guess):

craft dung into dried
(repeat with a few other pieces)

Then when you have maybe 5 or 6 pieces, try:

craft dried into campfire

craft dried 2.dried into campfire

craft dried 2.dried 3.dried into campfire

Until you find the right combination.

Also - try doing it with the same type of dung, IF drying it results in different types of dried dung.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think I must have just been running into undryable dung? Because I tried that. It was a while ago though, back when it first went in. Maybe they've updated shit-code since then.

Some dung is more equal than other poop?  ;)