**UPOTW: Storing characters.

Started by ShaLeah, October 02, 2003, 01:07:53 PM

How do you feel about storing a character?

It's alright, if you're bored and can't stand the role.
21 (33.9%)
It's alright, if circumstances (either IC or OOC) make the character suddenly unplayable.
35 (56.5%)
It's -not- alright under any circumstances. You should ride it out until the character croaks.
6 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: October 02, 2003, 01:07:53 PM

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I recently stored a character whom had been around for over a year, due to a bunch of BS IRL, preventing me from logging on as I would like to. I miss my character. I will for a while, even with my awesome new concept...

I've never liked the storing option.  I used to think it sort of twinkish until I found myself unable to play two of my characters.  I've stored 2 of my characters out of the 20, one of them because a chain of events in her life led to a major -major- change in her beliefs and loyalties and one of them I stored because of things in game that were affecting -me- oocly as well as my character icly. I didn't really miss the first character I stored but miss the other one, like T7DV and find myself wondering how people feel about storing.

So here are my questions:

When is it appropriate to store a character?
Is it possible to take that character out of storage some time in the future if circumstances change? (I know this one has happened)
How does the staff feel about storing characters?
How do the players feel about storing characters?
If a storing of a character is questionable, will the staff ask for more details as to why you want it stored?
Is boredom of role enough to have a character stored?

Let the discussions begin.

ShaLeah
-who still doesn't really like storing but finds it a necessary evil.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I myself find storing a very appropriate option. I think I've stored 2 of my characters... Although I've only had around 15(Not sure about the exact number). For the most part, I only see it as an option if the character is now unappealing, and there aren't any prospects for change.

One character I stored I was in a clan that was basically dead, and although I can do some things I was limited in going to a few places where most PCs hung out, therefor very little interaction with others, had no clan to interact with, couldn't get payed unless I bothed the Staff in charge and so on. Although I do kind of wish I still had the character because he was one of my best character in terms of code wise and was fairly fleshed out and interesting to play, but I don't really feel bad that I stored the character.

Second character wasn't a delf and I wasn't really having any fun in the role. Just at that time I couldn't get into playing a delf. Wasn't really any IC circumstances or lack of other players just dislike of the whole basis that the character subsides on.

Hmm... Well through all that mumbling I basically want to say what I said in the begining, that storing is a valid option, and circumstances why I've stored. For the most part, I don't see being bored with the role persay as a reason to store. If your character is in a slump, you can do things to living it up, which doesn't always include breaking the rules. If you just don't like the role, or there are OOC circumstances that make playing the character unappealing, then I feel thats what storing was made for. So you don't have to go out and hug a scrab, kiss a gith... Or go out and kick a templar.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I had two PCs stored.  One because of some OOC factors that made me feel like the PC was no longer my own and the other because I had been away for 3 months and wanted to start anew.

I think storing a character is perfectly fine, and do so far too often myself.

This is a game.  If you are so bored with your character that you stop logging in, then it's not a very fun game.  In my opinion, it's preferable to suiciding, which often can only be accomplished by acting very ooc for your character. I've done both, retiring and suiciding, and despite not wanting to burden the staff with the side effects of my short attention span, retirement is IMO the better option.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I don't agree with any of the options specifically. Frankly, I think it depends on the character. If it's a recruit or trooper or private, sure. No one cares. But if it's a sergeant or a noble or merchant house family member, think long and hard about it. Especially special apps.

It takes time to set up a noble or merchant house family member, and when one retires everything gets shifted to the next in line (which takes time to get caught up). Just because things are boring for a week or two doesn't mean you should retire. It's normal for there to be boring parts of a character's life. Work through it and things will pick up. If you really do decide to retire though and are a special app or in a leadership role, the least you can do is give a two week notice for the imm to figure out who to promote or start advertising for the position.

I think storing a character due to IC circumstances is wrong. Give things some time to try and work out first. OOC, as I said above, give it time. I've made the mistake of retiring several characters in haste that I wish I hadn't.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "nessalin"http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?storage

Thank you, nessalin.

ShaLeah
-who is now wondering if she should have elaborated in the storings of her characters instead of just Please store my character-ing.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I know of one person, who will probably chim in eventually, stored his character because it was boring him...and now he regrets it.

I stored one character because people asked me to fill a role...I had just sent my application in and wanted to get that stopped, so that I could fill this role, but my email to the mud account wasn't answered until after my character was approved...I do kinda regret storing the character, just because of what I could have done with him and because I've never seen an AI stat before or after and it would be fun to see how that would have affected things.

Personally, I think that storing a character should only be done if it won't impact others too much.  As it has already been stated in different ways, wrap things up so that your character can fade away...or if it's a new character that hasn't interacted with anyone (like mine was) and you suddenly have a different character to play, it can work.  Just don't leave anyone else hanging.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes, here I am.  I have decided to 'chim' in... which, as you may or may not know, is french for 'adding my two sids.'

Storing is evil.  EVIL I say!!  Do *NOT* store.  Storing is a terrible, awful thing to do that leads to sleepless nights and a constant wondering about what could have happened.  It's heinous, vile, and wussy.  Cowardly.  Bogus.  A MISTAKE I TELL YOU!

If it is done for the purpose of preserving the sanity of others... like if you're high person muckity muck and you can only log in once every two weeks for five minutes... yeah, store.  But if you're bored, DO NOT store.

It's like shooting yourself in the head because you've spent more than 30 mins waiting for a table in a high class restaurant.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"I have decided to 'chim' in... which, as you may or may not know, is french for 'adding my two sids.'
You know...one simple typo and you have to go and be a dick about it.  Just see if I have any alcohol for you the next time I see you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Don't listen to the freakin' spawn of losers... Or was it spawn of the French? Either way, he's evil.
<Blank> says, out of character:
     "OW!  Afk a moment, my chair just...broke, beneath me."

Always think your storing through and wait a couple of days to make sure you're not doing it on a whim. :)

I have a quick question for everyone...

Hypothetically speaking, you rp with a character who all of the sudden drops off the face of the planet for a few weeks due to the entrance of Civilzation 3 or Fallout 2 into the player's life. Would you rather they store the character, or try to come back?
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Quote from: "Impska"I have a quick question for everyone...

Hypothetically speaking, you rp with a character who all of the sudden drops off the face of the planet for a few weeks due to the entrance of Civilzation 3 or Fallout 2 into the player's life. Would you rather they store the character, or try to come back?

It totally depends. That's a really broad question. I think in general I'd prefer they come back, but there are bound to be exceptions.
It takes two hands to open this safe. The manager has only one.

Quote from: "Impska"Hypothetically speaking, you rp with a character who all of the sudden drops off the face of the planet for a few weeks due to the entrance of Civilzation 3 or Fallout 2 into the player's life. Would you rather they store the character, or try to come back?

I'd rather have their PC made into an NPC so you can still mudsex them....  Um.  ..   ....
Yes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Impska"Always think your storing through and wait a couple of days to make sure you're not doing it on a whim. :)

I have a quick question for everyone...

Fallout 2 is a perfectly valid reason to drop off the face of the earth.  That said, if you are in a leadership position you really should inform everyone that you have a 'family emergency' and can't get to a computer for a little while.  Once you get back just drop a few e-mails and get back up to date.  If you know you are not going to be around I think it is fine.  If you are a leader, don't do it often.  It is one thing to take a break now and then.  It is another to vanish and never have anyone hear from you again.

I think that storage or retirement of a character is everyone's personal choice to make.  However, I think there are at least a couple of things people need to consider before making that choice.

1. Is the character involved in any major plots that would be adveresly affected by the character's sudden disappearance?

2. Is the character closely involved with any other characters who might be left in limbo or in an awkward situation by your character no longer being played out?

If the answer to either one of these questions is yes, a final question might need to be asked:

Would IC plots and circumstances be better served if you requested a finalized end to the character, such as death through natural causes or otherwise for the furthement of some plot instead of detraction from it?  

I've found that roleplaying around a character's disappearance when no reasonable excuse of where they are or what they are doing can be extremely dificult, and feel that in some but not all cases this may be a better choice.

Personally, for mostly RL reasons, I had to stop playing my latest character but did not store the char (although did discuss the option with the clan imm once) in the hopes that I might be able to return to play the PC eventually once RL cleared up.  However, I tried to make sure, and was relatively certain that the character was no longer an integral part in any plots or in anyone's lives before I stopped playing.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.