Multiple changes to foraging and mining: discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, December 10, 2015, 05:27:01 PM

I'm not sure if I agree with the tying endurance to the amount of stamina lost.  Shouldn't the benefit of a higher endurance character be that they have a higher stamina pool to use on tasks?

Maybe the amount of stamina lost should be tied skill level like how the amount of stun it takes to use Scan and Listen are?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

I'd have to see the stamina loss thing in action to really form an opinion on it, but otherwise..

Awesome!

I am definitely a fan of the idea that rangers won't be foraging large blocks of stone all the live long day, and that mining is actually a legitimate job (please make the obsidian buyer in 'nak accept more things, now!) but I wonder:

QuoteIn their place, it is now possible to discover quarried stone deposits while foraging.

What kinds of stone? Or failing that, is this only the "generic" stone or could one find a "quarry" of sunstone, etc?

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Ender on December 10, 2015, 05:31:42 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with the tying endurance to the amount of stamina lost.  Shouldn't the benefit of a higher endurance character be that they have a higher stamina pool to use on tasks?

Maybe the amount of stamina lost should be tied skill level like how the amount of stun it takes to use Scan and Listen are?

That's a fair suggestion. I think I will tie it to strength and foraging skill instead, to make it consistent with the way the rest of mining works now.

Quote from: Riev on December 10, 2015, 05:35:10 PM
What kinds of stone? Or failing that, is this only the "generic" stone or could one find a "quarry" of sunstone, etc?

You can find quarried stone of all the specific types of stone which you can normally find in blocky or head-sized form: sandstone, granite, jasper, etc. and they are all in specific areas. Sometimes precious stones are embedded in these outcroppings as well.

Cool change.  I think I already discovered a deposit. 

A tiny comment on this:
Previously it was possible (and quite common) to forage stones that are described as being particularly large. These objects have been made more rare due to the unlikelihood of finding large pieces of loose stone all over the place.
Grain of salt here since I'm a newb to the forage stuff, but one thing that was useful was finding those large chunks of sandstone and salvaging them down to get sling stones.  (In my limited experience, the way it previously worked it was a bit of a chore to get sling stones -- a morning's IG work to get a handful probably.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

forage jasper

forage jasper

forage jasper

many large veins of jasper have been uncovered here

Quote from: Riev on December 10, 2015, 06:20:30 PM
forage jasper silver

forage jasper silver

forage jasper silver

many large veins of jasper silver have been uncovered here

Fixed.

Very nice.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Riev on December 10, 2015, 06:20:30 PM
forage jasper

forage jasper

forage jasper

many large veins of jasper have been uncovered here

Oh yeah, the deposits disappear over time if they're not mined, so there's no need to worry about clutter.

Great change.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

So when you "use pickaxe deposit", you might get a rare gem or something out of the vein? Interesting.

I like the hopeful lack of clutter, and the ability to make "blocky" stone a LOT more rare (??) so that when players have to collect it for building/RP/etc its not so easy. I mean, how simple was it for Tulukis to go bring in like 40 logs of wood, and 100 blocky pieces of alabaster, and the best that got them was like "You can make a small chest with alabaster carvings..."

Maybe now, with some rarity, accumulating these things can be a bit more rare? Require some more teamwork and mean more when you DO have them?

Well I trip over rocks I can't lift, all over the place, all the time. Glacial outwash, but who knows what the geology of the Known is. (Apart from volcanic  ;D )
This change sounds exciting though, thank you!

Very nice.. Thank you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Sounds like a kickass change.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Nice!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Riev on December 10, 2015, 09:13:36 PM
I like the hopeful lack of clutter, and the ability to make "blocky" stone a LOT more rare (??) so that when players have to collect it for building/RP/etc its not so easy. I mean, how simple was it for Tulukis to go bring in like 40 logs of wood, and 100 blocky pieces of alabaster, and the best that got them was like "You can make a small chest with alabaster carvings..."

Maybe now, with some rarity, accumulating these things can be a bit more rare? Require some more teamwork and mean more when you DO have them?

What you wanna do cool shit? Yeah me too.
I hope the answer is yes.
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Riev on December 10, 2015, 09:13:36 PM

That is the hope here, yes - as well as generally making acquiring these materials make sense.

I really like this code. However, having interacted with it, I have a thought. I had a grebber who was basically looking for everything but quarried stone. Would it be possible to add something like 'forage stone for -quarried'? So you find everything but the quarried stone. When I was grebbing, I would end up with 5+ quarries that I had no intention of mining.
Also, first non-clan post, woo!