Author Topic: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)  (Read 35412 times)

nauta

Re: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2016, 05:43:22 PM »
Yeah, I never got the joke either, unless it's one of those surreal jihelu-style jokes.  Any vet want to explain it, or is the joke that it's not a joke?

Interesting it's an actual house, though.  I just assumed it was a joke!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Jihelu

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »
Yeah, I never got the joke either, unless it's one of those surreal jihelu-style jokes.  Any vet want to explain it, or is the joke that it's not a joke?

Interesting it's an actual house, though.  I just assumed it was a joke!
It's a Jihelu joke probably.

manipura

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »
Help file FAQ 12 still states that there are sixteen main guilds and that full elementalists exist.

nauta

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »
Updated the main post with that!

Also noticed no 'dujat' help file, so added that.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Vositus

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
Help frown.

Code: [Select]
The frown command will issue an standard (canned) emote or set emotes indicating the action has taken place. Using the emote command to make more detailed emotes about how your character is performing the action is always preferable.

Syntax:
   frown

Example:
   >frown
 You frown at her.

See also:
   Socials, emote

Example should include a target, methinks. Not a huge deal, but I'm bored.

roobee

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2016, 02:00:45 AM »
I don't think frown works actually. I usually get something like "What's bothering you?"

Vositus

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »
I don't think frown works actually. I usually get something like "What's bothering you?"

I think that's just a cute little echo for the person emoting.

roobee

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »

I think that's just a cute little echo for the person emoting.
If true, then I suggest the helpful include that. I've been avoiding it cuz I thought it doesn't work.

roobee

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:24 PM »
helpfile, not helpful

Akariel

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »
House Kohmar is a House that existed IC. Other than that, if you would like to learn more, your local Faithful Lord and Lady might be able to tell you something about them.

Also: Nauta, for my ease, keep the original post updated with all the new stuff you want helpfiles for. I'll take a look into them when other projects get on my nerves.

nauta

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »
Also: Nauta, for my ease, keep the original post updated with all the new stuff you want helpfiles for. I'll take a look into them when other projects get on my nerves.

Yeah!  Main post should be up-to-date.  Just added frown.  Lemme know if you implement any so I can cross it off the list (or, you know, use your powers of moderation to lop them off the list).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:08:09 PM by nauta »

Akariel

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
I'll add a '-+-' before the ones I've looked into.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
TABLELANDS DETAILS:

o Remove old information on the Red Fangs.

o Remove incorrect information about Benjari/Jul Taven (these are not open for play).

Also, the Akei Ta Var are incorrectly listed as a Tablelands tribe. They are not, they are a Gol Krathu tribe.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

nauta

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
TABLELANDS DETAILS:

o Remove old information on the Red Fangs.

o Remove incorrect information about Benjari/Jul Taven (these are not open for play).

Also, the Akei Ta Var are incorrectly listed as a Tablelands tribe. They are not, they are a Gol Krathu tribe.

Updated.

Also the line: "If you are an elf, you have a variety of possibilities, since elvish tribes come and go swiftly" is a bit misleading, as you can't roll up an unclanned or virtually clanned desert elf.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:03:32 AM by nauta »

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
Good catch. I'm pretty certain that's a holdover from when you could create your own desert elf tribes.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

nauta

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
For 'help ride' and 'help pilot':

o Add Note: Even if you do not have the 'ride|pilot' skill, you can still learn to ride|pilot eventually.  Just keep at it and the skill will show up on your skill list eventually.

For 'help ride':

o Add note: Rangers experienced with handling animals can tame certain types to be used as mounts using the 'mount' command (see MOUNT).  This ability is governed by the 'ride' skill (and even elves can do it!)

Updated the main post.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:12:48 AM by nauta »

nauta

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Noticed that 'red fangs' no longer show up if you do a search on the main website (a fortiori they've been purged from the TABLELANDS_DETAILS help file).  I've crossed them off the list in the main post.

(That was a bit brutal although at least they show up in the 'Chronology' page.)

Zeche

• Legend
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »
In a few different Staff Announcements, there are staff and their roles noted, but there are no help files for them.  Maybe they should be included, since they are staff?
Coding Storyteller: Zeche
Code Administrators: Nathvaan and Tiernan
Project Administrator: Welda
Builder: Taijan

The Code structure is easy to understand. We have the same structure as the Storytellers are you used to interacting with: Storyteller, Administrator and then Producer. It's just a totally separate branch of staff. Being that the players really never interact with us, I'm not sure how important a help file about us really is. I'm fine with explaining the structure, though. Most likely part of the reason this lacks a documented structure is there have just now become enough coders to really mandate a more organized hierarchy, and it's not yet known what all duties each will perform, etc.

Builders are what they sound like, and we have a fair few now.

Zeche: [203/200 361/371 300/300 200/200] [Yochem high sun] >
purge tektolnes
Ok.

roobee

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
In the Special Applications help file, perhaps add a sentence saying "After your special application is approved, make your character as a new character the normal way in the character creation menu" or something similar.

nauta

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »
Also in Special Applications, there should be a link to 'Skill Bumps' not 'Skill Increases'.

Updated the main post with both suggestions.

whitt

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
help saddle would be much appreciated and help flip.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

nauta

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
help saddle would be much appreciated and help flip.

Updated.  I'm curious: What would 'help saddle' include?  I've always just assumed saddles were (bulky but sexy) flavor props.  I didn't know they had coded stuff to them.

whitt

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 06:29:36 PM »
I've always just assumed saddles were (bulky but sexy) flavor props.  I didn't know they had coded stuff to them.

Maybe they are?  Who knows.  Some seem to imply in their descriptions they're made with an archer in mind, I think one notes an (to the best of my knowledge) unaccessible quiver as part of the design while another seems to suggest it would help in staying in the saddle during mounted combat.

If it's just a nifty pack, that would be nice to know too, but how could you guess?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

nauta

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »
I'll add a '-+-' before the ones I've looked into.

Heyyyyy Akariel.  I noticed you or someone updated at least the backstab help file.  (Which is awesome.)  I thought you were going to do the whole -+- thing on the top post to note that it's off the list.  (Just an organizational thing.)

eta: was bored, went through the help files and did the -+- thing.  kudos incoming from the documentation nerd!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:05:26 PM by nauta »

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2016, 03:57:38 AM »
So for the files on the forage skill (both in game and on the website) it gives examples of the guilds and sub guilds able to find food through forage. I'm not sure if it's a typo or omission, but Outdoorsman is not included among them.

What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's skill level and guild. For example, only a select few guilds/subguilds can forage for food (rangers, grebbers, and outlaws).

It could be that Outlaw in this context is supposed to be Outdoorsman, but it seems appropriate for both.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:00:08 AM by gotdamnmiracle »
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.