Author Topic: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)  (Read 17068 times)

nauta

Re: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
When you reach master two handed, you can request a parry branch.

Not necessarily true.  Pickpockets will branch parry around journeyman, maybe even as low as high-end apprentice.

Edited to add:
For all other classes, the helpfile should read:  "while the staff maintain this as a technical possibility, branching parry from skill two_handed is a practical impossibility given the current state of the combat code."

Sorry.  I'm not grokking.  Clarification question:

Is it only the case of Ranger that you can request 'parry' after you reach master in two_handed?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

nauta

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
HELP ARMOR question:

I noticed this line:

"You will notice that an item is considered armor if its condition (used, worn out, etc.) is shown with the item's name (e.g., a used pair of studded sleeves)."

This is not true.  At least with a helm I have in my possession in-game right now, there is no 'used, worn out, new' added to its sdesc.  Likewise with some bracers that I have on my possession.

Should such items be bugged?  Or should we change the help file?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
When it takes any amount of damage it will put one of those on it - brand spanking new armor does not have that appended to it.

nauta

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
Thanks!  I added a suggestion to the help file to clarify this.  (Although I swear I've seen 'new' on items before, but perhaps that was before the armor-degradation code went in.)

Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »

Not necessarily true.  Pickpockets will branch parry around journeyman, maybe even as low as high-end apprentice.

Edited to add:
For all other classes, the helpfile should read:  "while the staff maintain this as a technical possibility, branching parry from skill two_handed is a practical impossibility given the current state of the combat code."

Sorry.  I'm not grokking.  Clarification question:

Is it only the case of Ranger that you can request 'parry' after you reach master in two_handed?

The way branching works is that you branch the new skill when you're within a certain number of points of your guild's maximum level for the root skill.

The way the novice/apprentice/journeyman/advanced/master word system works is that you get that descriptor at a certain percentage of the global (humanoid?) maximum level for that skill (i.e. the highest any PC class can get).

Pickpockets have a low class cap for the dual wield skill, which  means they branch from it at a lower proficiency level (low journeyman or high apprentice...I can't really remember).  Rangers and assassins probably also have different dual wield caps, but I -think- the branch point for both is at or near (master).

So...if you're doing a helpfile for that, you shouldn't mention the level of proficiency you need to branch, because it varies by class.  Technically, you could guildmax two-handed with pickpockets, rangers, or assassins, and then request that parry be branched from it.  On the other hand, it would probably be pointless to consider it, because I'm pretty sure that more PCs have learned sorcery in-character than have actually mastered the two-handed skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

JackGibbons

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
Thanks!  I added a suggestion to the help file to clarify this.  (Although I swear I've seen 'new' on items before, but perhaps that was before the armor-degradation code went in.)

It's a little confusing, because 'new' is the second highest repair state. The best state of repair is not to have any special word added at all.
In my experience, it goes like this:

1) No extra word: minimal or no damage to the equipment
2) New: minimal damage
3) Used: medium damage
4) Cracked: heavy damage
5) Worn out: severe damage

But I'm not 100% sure on the order of the last ones.

It's worth noting that the 'used' carru boots that Luirs folk start with can actually be repaired to just 'carru boots'.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

nauta

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »

Edited to add:
For all other classes, the helpfile should read:  "while the staff maintain this as a technical possibility, branching parry from skill two_handed is a practical impossibility given the current state of the combat code."

Sorry.  I'm not grokking.  Clarification question:

The way branching works is that you branch the new skill when you're within a certain number of points of your guild's maximum level for the root skill.

The way the novice/apprentice/journeyman/advanced/master word system works is that you get that descriptor at a certain percentage of the global (humanoid?) maximum level for that skill (i.e. the highest any PC class can get).

Pickpockets have a low class cap for the dual wield skill, which  means they branch from it at a lower proficiency level ([redacted by Nauta]...I can't really remember).  Rangers and assassins probably also have different dual wield caps, but I -think- the branch point for both is at or near [redacted by Nauta].

So...if you're doing a helpfile for that, you shouldn't mention the level of proficiency you need to branch, because it varies by class.  Technically, you could guildmax two-handed with pickpockets, rangers, or assassins, and then request that parry be branched from it.  On the other hand, it would probably be pointless to consider it, because I'm pretty sure that more PCs have learned sorcery in-character than have actually mastered the two-handed skill.

Gotcha.  In that case, I'm just going to add a little blurb in the main post and let staff sort out the language.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:25:05 PM by nauta »

JackGibbons

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »

Edited to add:
For all other classes, the helpfile should read:  "while the staff maintain this as a technical possibility, branching parry from skill two_handed is a practical impossibility given the current state of the combat code."

Sorry.  I'm not grokking.  Clarification question:

Pickpockets have a low class cap for the dual wield skill, which  means they branch from it at a lower proficiency level (low journeyman or high apprentice...I can't really remember).  Rangers and assassins probably also have different dual wield caps, but I -think- the branch point for both is at or near (master).

So...if you're doing a helpfile for that, you shouldn't mention the level of proficiency you need to branch, because it varies by class.  Technically, you could guildmax two-handed with pickpockets, rangers, or assassins, and then request that parry be branched from it.  On the other hand, it would probably be pointless to consider it, because I'm pretty sure that more PCs have learned sorcery in-character than have actually mastered the two-handed skill.

If I'm allowed to say, [I am not allowed to say].

Ideally, staff would make a chart. If you are guild X, you may ask for parry from Two-Handed at skill level word Y.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:27:16 PM by Akariel »
> who
Immortals
---------

nauta

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
If I'm allowed to say, I can confirm that parry branches at [redacted by Nauta] for Rangers based on experience in the past several months. [redacted by Nauta].

Ideally, staff would make a chart. If you are guild X, you may ask for parry from Two-Handed at skill level word Y.

Unfortunately, until staff releases the new charts / decides on the policy, we can't state such information on the gdb.  I redacted it in the quote, but perhaps you can redact it in your original post too.

Unless I'm wrong, just a reminder that stating what skills branch from what is still against the rules on the gdb.  (It's tricky in this case, since staff have stated on the gdb that you can request parry when you max out two_handed skill -- so that one is the only exception to the rule.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:27:07 PM by nauta »

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
I know this is really hugging the line, guys, but please don't post when something branches what. Saying parry branches from weapon skills and you might have to send in a request to get it if you're not using dual wield is fine - saying parry branches at X for Y is not.

JackGibbons

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
I know this is really hugging the line, guys, but please don't post when something branches what. Saying parry branches from weapon skills and you might have to send in a request to get it if you're not using dual wield is fine - saying parry branches at X for Y is not.

Okay, thank you. Sorry about that. I guess it will leave some people uncertain when they can put in the request, especially if they're told 'at master' but they might be in a guild where mastering is impossible. Perhaps it's best if they just request tool after the skill seems be pretty high but 'stuck' and can be told individually if they qualify for it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:04:54 PM by JackGibbons »
> who
Immortals
---------

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
That would likely be a good option. It is different per guild, but if you have any questions whatsoever, please send in a request about that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure we've had at least three such requests since I've been on staff.

manipura

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
The help files explaining the roles of the staff could use some looking at and updating. 

Producers should have Adhira, Nessalin and Rathustra listed. 
Currently Morgenes is listed here too, as focusing on coding and server issues etc, though his avatar/profile says he is a Board Administrator.

Merchant House Team should be Nergal (Admin), Ath, Cayuga, and Senga.  It was noted in Staff Announcements that Taijan stepped down from this team to a Builder role.

In a few different Staff Announcements, there are staff and their roles noted, but there are no help files for them.  Maybe they should be included, since they are staff?
Coding Storyteller: Zeche
Code Administrators: Nathvaan and Tiernan
Project Administrator: Welda
Builder: Taijan

Indie/Tribal Team and Southern Team are accurate, as far as I can tell. 
I think the above changes/additions would bring the help files regarding the current staff positions up to date, unless I've missed a Staff Announcement post somewhere.

JackGibbons

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »
This is a minor point, but 'Tablelands Details' mentions that if you are human you could be of the Benjari, but the Benjari help file lists them as extinct.
> who
Immortals
---------

nauta

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
Also of interest in that help file:
In the center of the Tablelands lies the gith mesa. The gith like to
deal with outsiders by slaying and consuming intruders. They do deal on
occasion with the Red Fangs elven tribe. Gith technology is crude at best,
and the quality of their wares is poor.

RIP Fangs.  I've updated the main post with both suggestions.

nauta

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
I went through the Neat little things thread
and, surprisingly, almost all of them were already in the help files.  In fact, the only one that wasn't in the help files (from what I could tell) was sit on which I added in the main post above.

Asmoth

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:41 AM »
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/chargen.php

Needs to be changed to account for the change in subguilds.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

roobee

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 03:10:03 PM »
I do agree that some animal help files might not be fleshed out, but I think, as with all the help files and improvements, we'll have to take it case by case.
Here's a case. Add a yompar help file?

nauta

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »
Lordie!  I idea'd a yompar help file when I first started playing.  Total nostalgia there.  I updated the main post with the suggestion.  Good catch -- staff did just import a huge load of help files, so yompar got missed out, it seems.

Vositus

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
House Kohmar.

I feel like this helpfile is some epic inside joke I have no clue about.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
House Kohmar.

I feel like this helpfile is some epic inside joke I have no clue about.

Jihelu

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »
They should really exaggerate the idea that "The grey will murder you and your family"
There are ways around the murder.
But it will.
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Vositus

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49119.0.html

Damn, they went all out for this last year.

Only mention I could find is in House Delann's helpfile. Old Merchant house?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »
It was an April Fools joke, nothing more.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Vositus

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
It was an April Fools joke, nothing more.

Yeah, I got that, now.

But it was also last year. Can we get it changed back to the original blurb, or is it a perma joke that will always be in the help files to confuse noobs?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:42:00 PM by Vositus »