Author Topic: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)  (Read 15091 times)

nauta

Re: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 07:10:44 AM »
Brew has nothing to do with actually using stills/teapots, surprisingly. Tablet making uses a -really old-fashioned system that's a hassel to work with (and never fails.) Brew can also make use of the CRAFT system for things such as soap.

Brilliant!  Updated the OP.
Your mulish noble mindbender with a secret base warded against apparitions of psychically projected ankheg janitors.

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
Despite the skill not having to do with stills/teapots, it would still ICly be considered brewing... I'd be torn on removing it from the helpfile. That said, if you want to submit a request titled "ATTN: Akariel" with edited helpfiles I'll look them over and submit them.

Clan the request to House Oash or Fale.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:37:33 AM by Akariel »

nauta

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
Akariel: Cool, I can probably do that in a batch or something down the road.

Everyone: Noticed this line in HELP MELEE COMBAT:
Bear in mind that fighting while mounted can be extremely risky, since characters are much easier to hit, and generally sustain worse wounds, due to mounts being less maneuverable than a character on foot.
This strikes me (my experience is limited) as not at all true -- the opposite seems to be the case.  The only risk that comes from fighting while mounted is the risk of falling off and landing on your ass.  So is this little blurb somehow true?  How can it be improved?

Also: HELP RANGED COMBAT is pretty hilarious.

I also thought the website had a tutorial-guide walk-through of various combat situations, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where that is?
Your mulish noble mindbender with a secret base warded against apparitions of psychically projected ankheg janitors.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
Akariel: Cool, I can probably do that in a batch or something down the road.

Everyone: Noticed this line in HELP MELEE COMBAT:
Bear in mind that fighting while mounted can be extremely risky, since characters are much easier to hit, and generally sustain worse wounds, due to mounts being less maneuverable than a character on foot.
This strikes me (my experience is limited) as not at all true -- the opposite seems to be the case.  The only risk that comes from fighting while mounted is the risk of falling off and landing on your ass.  So is this little blurb somehow true?  How can it be improved?

Also: HELP RANGED COMBAT is pretty hilarious.

I also thought the website had a tutorial-guide walk-through of various combat situations, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where that is?

The mounted combat bit used to be true until mounted combat was updated several years ago.

I remember the days when dismounting was a signal that shit was about to go down.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

nauta

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 10:23:22 PM »
Coolness.  That explains it.  Updated the OP to just recommend nuking that line.

nauta

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Added some FLORISTRY suggestions to the OP (vis-a-vis perfumes).

whitt

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
HELP Colors

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,38103.0.html

There's also a joke in there with keeping kalans and ginkas straight, but I couldn't do it.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

nauta

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
HELP Colors

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,38103.0.html

There's also a joke in there with keeping kalans and ginkas straight, but I couldn't do it.

Got it.  Was thinking the same thing.  It would be awesome to turn some of that gdb thread into an official web page on the main web site.  Updated OP.

Merdin

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:16 AM »
Speaking as a noob, This thread is f***ing awesome in helping to explain some things, and I truly hope that all or most of these suggestions are implemented in the help files. Wish I had read some of them a week ago. I might not have to be on my eighth character in seven days. (I Really Really liked some of those characters.)
"Too many blows to the head can make you forgetful" -Merdin

nauta

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
Thanks.  Eventually I'll get to submitting modified help files to Akariel too!  Promise.  I've been silently updating it, and just now updated with some notes on parry in light of Nergal's comment elsewhere, and a the 'weapons skill' help file to make it clear that 'stabbing' is a subset of 'piercing' -- that was confusing to me as a newbie. -- Nevermind on that last -- it was already there.

(In general, I think it makes a lot of sense to include some hint at what gives you that 'fail' with a skill when it isn't patently obvious or provided to you via an echo -- as is the case with a lot of non-combat skills.)

I also haven't really touched the combat help files, since I'm still learning that.

If you have more suggestions -- gaps between the help file and reality, areas where the help file could be improved to help newbies along -- please do contribute.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:28:33 PM by nauta »

JackGibbons

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »
Thanks for this, Nauta. Perhaps for parrying, you might give people the skill rank they have to achieve in Two Handed before requests for adding the parry skill will be honored.

Second, what IS 'who c' ?
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Asmoth

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
Thanks for this, Nauta. Perhaps for parrying, you might give people the skill rank they have to achieve in Two Handed before requests for adding the parry skill will be honored.

Certain clan positions (which I don't know) have the ability to who clan clanname and it shows who is online
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Beethoven

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
Brew has nothing to do with actually using stills/teapots, surprisingly. Tablet making uses a -really old-fashioned system that's a hassel to work with (and never fails.) Brew can also make use of the CRAFT system for things such as soap.

Aha! Because Tyler Durden is a soap maker by trade! It all makes sense now!

JackGibbons

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »

Aha! Because Tyler Durden is a soap maker by trade! It all makes sense now!

True. But the simpler answer is the words FIGHT CLUB appear on soap as part of the marketing for the film. For the same reason, naturally.
> who
Immortals
---------

nauta

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »

#1. Done -- I don't know the answer, so I just said [advanced?|master?, i don't know] in the verbiage.

#2. Suggested language explaining it added.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:18 PM »
When you reach master two handed, you can request a parry branch.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

roobee

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »
So apparently, you can play an escaped slave. http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50273.0.html
There should definitely be a help file that explains how to do this.

nauta

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »
Cool, added 'SLAVE' to the main post, although there is 'HELP SLAVERY'.  It doesn't include language about playing an 'escaped slave', which is what I suggested to be added.

roobee (or whoever, but re: your post in the retention thread): if one of the help files about a given animal does not give a clear enough indication of its danger level -- I'm personally against some sort of quantitative chart -- then go ahead and post it here.  For instance, 'help scrab' tells you that they have an "aggressive hunter's instinct" and 'help jozhal' tells you "while not usually dangerous because of their small size, they are scavengers by nature, occasionally taking smaller live animals" and 'help mekillot' says "extremely dangerous, being known to take out entire squadrons of ill prepared travellers in the salt flats"  So you know that scrab are aggro and jozhal are not and mekillots are lolstomp.

Personally, I think anything more precise than that would detract from one of the few areas where 'find out IC' actually has traction: you should have to find out through experience or through training with hunters / clanmates the precise tactic in dealing with mobs, and their danger level.

I do agree that some animal help files might not be fleshed out, but I think, as with all the help files and improvements, we'll have to take it case by case.

Finally, once more: Why aren't the tablelands animals in the help files any more (turaal, durrit, kalich, etc.)?  They are on the old.armeggon.org site, however.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:21:36 PM by nauta »

roobee

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
I do agree that some animal help files might not be fleshed out, but I think, as with all the help files and improvements, we'll have to take it case by case.
Yep, that sounds like a better idea than a table.

Also, http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/House%20Kohmar.
What the heck is this?

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
Can't stop

Won't stop

ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ

House Kohmar

Kol

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
That is....amusing.

FIREEEEEEEE KANNKKKKKSSSSSS!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

JackGibbons

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
Yep, that sounds like a better idea than a table.

Also, http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/House%20Kohmar.
What the heck is this?

See this announcement:  http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49119.0.html

Then please note the date of that post.
> who
Immortals
---------

JackGibbons

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »
Another possible helpfile:

help climb:

Nothing is mentioned of the 'scrambles for purchase' possibility of saving yourself once you're falling. I'm not entirely clear of what is acquired to achieve this state.

e.g. some people just keep falling, while you see an echo sometimes of 'So and so scrambles for purchase.' This is apparently the result of taking a certain active action rather than just resigning yourself to falling a new room every few seconds until you hit bottom. I believe I'm allowed to say that that action appears to be trying to use one of the listed room exits (other than, I suppose, down). There may be many people who have died without realizing that this option was possible.
> who
Immortals
---------

Synthesis

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
When you reach master two handed, you can request a parry branch.

Not necessarily true.  Pickpockets will branch parry around journeyman, maybe even as low as high-end apprentice.

Edited to add:
For all other classes, the helpfile should read:  "while the staff maintain this as a technical possibility, branching parry from skill two_handed is a practical impossibility given the current state of the combat code."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:48:04 PM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

nauta

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
Another possible helpfile:

help climb:

Nothing is mentioned of the 'scrambles for purchase' possibility of saving yourself once you're falling. I'm not entirely clear of what is acquired to achieve this state.

e.g. some people just keep falling, while you see an echo sometimes of 'So and so scrambles for purchase.' This is apparently the result of taking a certain active action rather than just resigning yourself to falling a new room every few seconds until you hit bottom. I believe I'm allowed to say that that action appears to be trying to use one of the listed room exits (other than, I suppose, down). There may be many people who have died without realizing that this option was possible.

I like it.  I added the suggestion to the main post, as well as a suggestion for one thing that annoys me: How there's no difference in the echo you receive from a place that COULD be climbed, but you can't because you failed, vs. a place that CAN'T be climbed.

I also added a little thing on 'sit'.