Author Topic: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)  (Read 17104 times)

nauta

Re: Let's improve the HELP FILES (newbie friendly)
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
So for the files on the forage skill (both in game and on the website) it gives examples of the guilds and sub guilds able to find food through forage. I'm not sure if it's a typo or omission, but Outdoorsman is not included among them.

What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's skill level and guild. For example, only a select few guilds/subguilds can forage for food (rangers, grebbers, and outlaws).

It could be that Outlaw in this context is supposed to be Outdoorsman, but it seems appropriate for both.

Outdoorsmen do not actually get 'forage', at least according to 'help outdoorsman'.  (I know, I was surprised too!)  Then again, Outlaws don't either.  I'll kick up the suggestion as:

"Omit: and outlaws."

Unless I'm wrong...
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
I mean specifically in the case of foraging for food.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
I feel like the 'Approval Message' for new characters is a little out of date:

Extensive documentation about the world is available on the web at
'http://www.armageddon.org'.  You and those with whom you will play
will have much more fun if you are familiar with the basics of
the game's documentation.  Please note, if you haven't already, that
Armageddon provides a strictly enforced roleplaying atmosphere.  If you
are more interested in killing stuff and maxing out your character than
in character development, then please play at one of the great many
combat MUDs running on the Internet.

As a new player, if your character dies in the first hour of play, your
character will come back into the game.  But whatever killed you will
probably kill you as soon as you come back, so we suggest waiting a while
before coming back into the game (a day is usually sufficient).  In such
circumstances, the character should be treated as a new character.

If you are having major problems feel free to mail mud@armageddon.org
for assistance.  You can also reach a player helper in a chat at:
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php  The game discussion boards
are located at http://gdb.armageddon.org.  Thanks, and we hope you enjoy
our world.

It could probably include helpful links, like to 'What you Know' about Zalanthas and Allanak, and maybe the walkthrough guide.

It's also maybe a little weird to treat your repop as a 'new character'. Sort of a H&S feel to that bit. Perhaps they were mortally wounded but not killed?

And maybe a mention for the request tool rather than mailing the mud account.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

BadSkeelz

« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »
I think the encumbrance helpfile could use expanding. At the least it should spell out the levels of encumbrance and their order.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Encumbrance
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Reiloth

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
I think the encumbrance helpfile could use expanding. At the least it should spell out the levels of encumbrance and their order.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Encumbrance

It's a bit nebulous as to what 'half of my capacity' might be. It seems better to say 'When you are at VERY heavy, you will begin to notice...etc.'
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

nauta

« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
Updated the op on encumbrance and the intro e-mail -- also notice that I've been trying to mark entries that have actually been updated in the top-level post as well.

I also noted that old.armageddon.org has oodles of plants not in the new armageddon site, as well as a really nice 'Plant Syntax' entry.  I've opted to just list the plants not available in the current help files here and in op under Plant Syntax.

Agastakee
Artotis
Asfadalar/Heartsolace
Ashkiss
Bhluang
Blood Mushroom
Cavern Lace
Chuci
Crone/Poxed Crone
Drovberry
Earummage
Emerald Fungus
Eynana
Fafad
Felaz
Glypah
Gohn
Heinspike
Japak
Japuaar
Jimpka
Kaya
Khee
Kumiss Saucer
Kutai
Kzul
Lady's Mantle
Lavender
Magnisa
Moon Rose
Mossbush
Murfa
Nemik
Oetir
Opsala
Panthis
Pelzaik
Petoch
Pickleberry
Precos
Quirritail
Saltbush
Severed Ear
Sicorra
Stalp
Templar's Heart
Tenichi
Ternak
Thilareyn
Thugi
Thumbberry
Tiktak
Virsha
Wylrith

Phew!  May this also inspire a plethora of character and baby names!

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Reiloth

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
I dub thee Pickleberry.

~Jack Vance~

whitt

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
I'll just leave this here:  ;)

Kruth: Merchant's Haul
Merchant's Haul is a variant of Suits, most common in Allanak. It is reputed to have been derived as the result of a Falish noble's quest for new card games. It is best played with an independent dealer or at least a dealer that can be trusted to deal straight onto the table and features "common" cards that are used by all of the players.

Objective:
The object is to get the highest run of matching suits in your hand.
Card Points:
Kings - 5
Fate - 4
Life - 3
Truth - 2
Deceit - 1
Death - 0

Play:
Each player pays an ante into the pot then each player is dealt two cards, called their Stash. These two cards are the start of their five card hand and must be used.  Based on the strength of their Stash, players may choose to bet, check, call, raise, etc... starting with a player dubbed First. 
Once the first betting round is complete, the dealer gathers up the pot and deals out the first three (of five) common cards onto the playing surface.  These three cards are called "the Market".  Another round of betting proceeds, starting with the same player as before.
After the second betting round is complete, the dealer gathers up the pot and deals out the fourth (of five) common cards, called the "the Street".  Another round of betting proceeds, starting with the same player as before.
Again, after betting, the dealer gathers up the pot, and deals the last common card, "the Gate".  After the Gate card is revealed, there is a final round of betting and players reveal their stash to determine who can make the highest scoring hand out of the their two-card Stash, plus three of the common cards.  Each player may only use three of the common cards from the table.

Scoring:
Point totals only count for the highest points of the matching suit in hand.
For example:
If the common cards revealed: the Wind of Kings, Wind of Fate,  Stone of Fate, Water of Life and Water of Truth. The table would have (9) points in Wind, (0) points in Sun, (4) points in Stone, and (5) points in Water.
If a player has a stash consisting of Wind of Deceit and the Stone of Life, they would have (1) point in Wind and (3) points in Stone in their stash, meaning they would want to play Wind as their suit: (1) from their Stash plus (9) from the table, giving them a final score of (10).

If there is a tie in points the tied players split the pot.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Cind

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2017, 02:10:30 AM »
I idea'd for a helpfile about food rot. Being as we deal with 'longer' stretches of time than in real life, and because most pcs at least come from places where all food is precious, we should probably know that food would rot in so-and-so time, will rot faster outdoors and in bad weather, etc. We're ignorant but we wouldn't be ignorant about that.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.