Author Topic: Salarri Weapons Project  (Read 16609 times)

Taijan

• Legend
Salarri Weapons Project
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
Hello Armageddon!

I'm looking for some help putting a fresh coat of blood-colored paint on the markets of the Known and provide you all with more tools to maim and murder each other with, courtesy of House Salarr.  From now until we have enough, we're accepting submissions for new weapons.

Criteria
- Weapons should be low to mid-end
I'm not looking for diamond-encrusted masterpieces. These should be fairly simple and affordable, with minimal ornamentation.

- They can be craftable...
...but they'll be clan-specific to Salarr.

- They should be focused with a region in mind
Allanak and Red Storm mainly, though some made with Luir's in mind are okay. 

- Some weapon types are more in need of variety than others:
1) All of the advanced weapon types: razor, knife, trident, polearm, pike.
2) Chopping
3) Bludgeoning
4) Piercing/stabbing
10) Slashing (we really don't need more for this project, but if you have a cool idea then I'll give it some thought)
47.4) Whips (same comment as slashing, even less demand for them)

This should follow the Mastercraft Template where applicable:

New Object

Keywords:

Short Description:

Long Description:

Main Description:

Material:

Price:

Wearflags:

Craft Information
Ingredients:

What is Left upon Failure:

Skill:

Tool:

Difficulty:

Duration:

Success Message to Crafter:

Success Message to Room:

Failure Message to Crafter:

Failure Message to Room:

As is often the case, please keep Sanvean's excellent post on our building philosophy in mind.

Please submit your entries as a Clan Request: Question/Request with a title of Attn Taijan - Weapons Project.

RogueGunslinger

Re: Salarri Weapons Project
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
Hell yes! Weapons! I love weapons! Submitted a couple in the vain hope that my current character will be able to use them some day.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
Hrm, can't edit posts here. Interesting.

Skeelz I'm bringing your RAT post back here against your will.

Criteria
- Weapons should be low to mid-end
These should be fairly simple and affordable, with minimal ornamentation.

- Some weapon types are more in need of variety than others:
1) All of the advanced weapon types: razor, knife, trident, polearm, pike.

Not that I disagree with either of these criteria, but they're kind of at cross purposes, aren't they?

Unless you plan to make a bunch of flippable weapons like I do.

Low end advanced weapons do seem a little silly. But this is Salarr, so there's a standard. Think low-end Salarri weapons. They're usually pretty well made. As long as you're not engraving fancy designs, embedding ivory and jewels, or making them "perfectly balanced masterfull designs of war", you should be fine.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:21 PM »

I'm confused on what 'knife' is. As opposed to like... A normal knife.

What makes a "knife" an advanced weapon?

Does it have special features? Or is it just... arbitrary?

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Jihelu

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »

I'm confused on what 'knife' is. As opposed to like... A normal knife.

What makes a "knife" an advanced weapon?

Does it have special features? Or is it just... arbitrary?

Last I checked they attack super fucking fast.
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

BadSkeelz

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:57 PM »
There are no 1-handed tridents in the game. This is our chance to change that.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Jihelu

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »
Last I checked there are no one handed pikes either.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:37:52 PM »
1-handed pikes aren't really a thing. Pikes as a weapon class are pretty silly and anachronistic for the setting. If I wanted to make a 1-handed pike I'd call it a lance.

Now, there's such a thing called a half-pike but I don't know much about its usage (other than some old fighting manual saying it was the best thing for an individual to use on the street. Go figure.).
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
Badszeelz just made this post irrelevant. But it took work, so posting anyways.

Last I checked there are no one handed pikes either.

Tridents can be short:

Pikes by definition are big:

Pikes obviously require two hands.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:48 PM »
Least your post has pictures.

Also, those Macedonian pikemen using pikes AND shields? They had the shield strapped to their arm, but still needed both hands on the pike.

Jihelu

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:43:48 PM »
You can have bucklers strapped to your arm as wrist wear but I doubt it uses actual shield code.
Would be cool if it did.
Then you could run five shields....
Knife weapons can't backstab right?

Taijan

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 11:48:53 PM »
Let's define knife weapons as small blades with a cutting edge that, while certainly more dangerous than fighting unarmed, would generally be a step below suicide if you were to use one to fight someone with a larger weapon - until you learn techniques that make it just as (or even more) effective.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
How specific do we need to be in naming the components? I've never played a crafter (or even someone who's hunted regularly) so I'm a bit sketchy on specific items.

Taijan

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 11:55:52 PM »
How specific do we need to be in naming the components? I've never played a crafter (or even someone who's hunted regularly) so I'm a bit sketchy on specific items.

The only things I'd really like to be specific are the short description and main description.  You can include any of the other parts if you'd like and you have ideas, but I'm happy to fill in any blanks.

Erythil

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 01:59:24 AM »
I didn't realize tridents were a weapon class when someone asked my Kuraci merchant for a mastercrafted one-handed trident. made from spider fangs.

I understand now why that dwarf was so let down with the end product.  That item should still be in the game, maybe worth looking at it?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »
I didn't realize tridents were a weapon class when someone asked my Kuraci merchant for a mastercrafted one-handed trident. made from spider fangs.

I understand now why that dwarf was so let down with the end product.  That item should still be in the game, maybe worth looking at it?

OH man, that stings so bad and it wasn't even me.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
I can see the disappointment in the poor bald bastard's eyes now. Hilarious.

Back on topic, I was brainstorming with a friend last night. They had the good suggestion to come up with something for scrab pincers, which are apparently pretty useless for crafting. Can anyone else think of some gatherable components that don't get a lot of love in weapons-crafting? You probably shouldn't post them publically if their acquiring is a little more "find out IC" than scrab pincers, but I think it'd be good if we can think up more reasons for Salarr to hire PC hunters.

On the flip side, some mobs are kind of light on skinnable objects. I'm looking at you, drov beetles. You bite me for 40 hp, can't I skin your pincers to do something with them?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »
Is there a limit on how many flips a weapon can do? Is it always binary or could you have a weapon flip between three or more styles?

Norcal

• Helper
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »
What is the date limit for this?
I voted and staff let my c-elf ride skimmers and pilot a wagon.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 08:39:28 PM »
From now until we have enough, we're accepting submissions for new weapons.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »
Is there a limit on how many flips a weapon can do? Is it always binary or could you have a weapon flip between three or more styles?

Technically you could chain them together forever. It could even 'flip' into an inert state. I think you'd need a super duper concept to warrant anything beyond the binary though. Which is to say - hit us with your best shot!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »

AdamBlue

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »

Technically you could chain them together forever. It could even 'flip' into an inert state. I think you'd need a super duper concept to warrant anything beyond the binary though. Which is to say - hit us with your best shot!

Would it be able to flip a weapon into a crossbow, and furthermore, would it be possible to keep the crossbow loaded through flips?
I got an idea in mind of a spear with a crossbow built into the side of it for point-blank range firing.

Desertman

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »
I always found it odd that most swords and knives can't be flipped from piercing into slashing and back.

Most knives and swords realistically have both slashing edges and points. Even a scimitar has a point on it that can be used to stab someone and in fact would be.

I find it hard to imagine a sword that couldn't also be used in a thrusting stab in fact.

Maybe this, but I might even argue this is a chopping weapon, and not really a sword:

My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Desertman

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
I always found it odd that most swords and knives can't be flipped from piercing into slashing and back.

Most knives and swords realistically have both slashing edges and points. Even a scimitar has a point on it that can be used to stab someone and in fact would be.

I find it hard to imagine a sword that couldn't also be used in a thrusting stab in fact.

Maybe sometime akin to this, but I might even argue this is a chopping weapon, and not really a sword:

My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.