Fixing the bandaging skill

Started by Eyeball, August 31, 2015, 03:39:52 PM

The bandaging skill would be more reasonable if a 'partial fail' is introduced. As it stands, only the most skilled at bandaging can be reasonably assured of not causing damage (potentially fatal). If doing harm was mostly supplanted by this 'partial fail' (no harm but no help either) by the journeyman level, the skill would make more sense and there would motivation to use it for those who can achieve some degree of skill short of being the absolute best.

Bandaging is one of those skills that maxes out very quickly (in terms of #fails:%increase), even if you only have fair-to-middling wisdom.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the failures you're personally witnessing are from players who are intentionally using the shittiest bandages in order to generate failures (or they're just poor planners) on the few chances people get to use the skill at all.  The way combat works currently, outside of intentionally getting monkeystomped during sparring, there are very few instances where PCs are taking damage in small enough increments to warrant risking getting anywhere near the bandage zone.  So...most PCs either avoid getting anywhere near the bandage zone, or die shortly after getting there by accident.  (Again, unless they're intentionally over-sparring in order to train the skill...which...you really can't blame them, because it's hella useful, and like I said, you almost never get to actually practice it under purely "oops, I dun goofed" circumstances.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Eyeball on August 31, 2015, 03:39:52 PM
The bandaging skill would be more reasonable if a 'partial fail' is introduced. As it stands, only the most skilled at bandaging can be reasonably assured of not causing damage (potentially fatal). If doing harm was mostly supplanted by this 'partial fail' (no harm but no help either) by the journeyman level, the skill would make more sense and there would motivation to use it for those who can achieve some degree of skill short of being the absolute best.

Agree.

Actually, if I was honest I'd say that bandaging is somewhat broken.  While I'd usually say Synthesis has stronger analytic powers than I do, my suspicion about his reasoning is that he's too used to things being broken to see how much better they could be. 

How to fix bandaging?  I won't pretend to know.  But for a lot of players, if they're going to be using bandaging it's because they picked physician as a subguild.  That's a big sacrifice to get a skill that will suck until you've quite a bit of practice.  And practice is difficult to get. 

I agree that *maybe* bandaging should cause damage on failure, but if so it should only cause damage on critical failure or something.  I guess if anything, the skill would be less frustrating if it were noob friendly.

What if changing it broke the game?  No problem, we could always roll back the change, right?

Quote from: Synthesis on August 31, 2015, 05:37:13 PM
Bandaging is one of those skills that maxes out very quickly (in terms of #fails:%increase), even if you only have fair-to-middling wisdom.

Which isn't the issue. The issue is that unless you have the top skill cap, you stand a good chance of doing harm with it instead of good, making it undesirable (so useless) in many if not all situations.

Quote from: Eyeball on August 31, 2015, 06:27:21 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on August 31, 2015, 05:37:13 PM

Which isn't the issue. The issue is that unless you have the top skill cap, you stand a good chance of doing harm with it instead of good, making it undesirable (so useless) in many if not all situations.

If you didn't stand a chance of doing harm with it, people could just spam it until they ran out of bandages or achieved the desired result.  (You can essentially do the same thing currently, if you have a decent-enough skill level.  Generally the failures are small-time HP losses, whereas with a good bandage, you can instantly recover double or triple the amount you lost on the prior failure.)

If you are abjectly terrible with the skill, the code won't even let you attempt to bandage someone that you might accidentally kill.  There is a "danger zone" where you can bandage mortally wounded people, but might kill them, but it's a fairly small area of the skill range, unless your guild/subguild has a low cap...in which case you probably ought not to be bandaging mortally-wounded people.

So change it that with crappy bandages, the hp bump is small even for the most highly skilled and almost nothing for the middling skilled.

In my experience the HP bump is rather small even with a master physician, using makeshift bandages tends to result in around 10hp give or take, with quality material/medications you can climb much higher than that, which is damn near MAJIKAL. I've bandaged for upwards of 40.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Yeah, high bandage on a ranger is amazing.

I believe I've gone from something like 35/102 to 70/102 before in a single go.

For what it's worth, I think the skillcap on bandage between ranger and physician should be swapped.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on September 01, 2015, 02:29:53 AM

For what it's worth, I think the skillcap on bandage between ranger and physician should be swapped.

Wait, what? Physician doesn't have the highest bandage cap...?

It makes sense the way it's currently distributed, but I'd love to see partial fails, and I'd also love to see needles and thread for stitching, splints for splinting, etc.

Quote from: Delirium on September 01, 2015, 11:54:39 AM
It makes sense the way it's currently distributed, but I'd love to see partial fails, and I'd also love to see needles and thread for stitching, splints for splinting, etc.

Saws too. Do you mean with coding boosts for body repair skill?

Quote from: Delirium on September 01, 2015, 11:54:39 AM

There's at least a couple of prop items (somewhat rare) that give bonuses and allow for the rp of these sort of thing, also handy tailor tools that would just serve as props. Also splints are a thing, I've seen two or three different types that were craftable.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Alesan on September 01, 2015, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: musashi on September 01, 2015, 02:29:53 AM

Wait, what? Physician doesn't have the highest bandage cap...?

Subguilds aren't as good as mainguilds. Unless you're an assassin with climb or hunt... Why the fuck those don't max out is beyond me.

Yeah. It might just be me, but I feel like by and large skills that don't go to master are more of a liability than an asset. It's hard to moonlight as a crafter when your advanced crafting skill still fails basic shit you were crafting at novice levels half the time.

Could just be perception bias, but I've always felt like the benefit gained between advanced and master vastly eclipses the benefit gained between novice and advanced.

Quote from: musashi on September 08, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
Yeah. It might just be me, but I feel like by and large skills that don't go to master are more of a liability than an asset. It's hard to moonlight as a crafter when your advanced crafting skill still fails basic shit you were crafting at novice levels half the time.

Could just be perception bias, but I've always felt like the benefit gained between advanced and master vastly eclipses the benefit gained between novice and advanced.

I think its perception bias here, as someone whos played many chars with subguilds that only go up to advanced in acrafting skill in my short time playing ,believe me that the success rate gets MUCH higher at advanced.

it might also be worth it to consider investing in tools. They help A TON, and dont degrade nearly as quick anymore with the new tool changes.

The only one I'll agree with is cooking - I've had master cooking before and still occasionally burnt travel cakes!

Same goes for many skills not related to crafting. I notice a Huuuge difference.

Given the context of this thread ... I'm looking at you ... bandage making ... >_>

You think: Ok ... ok ok  ok  ok ... you can do this. Concentrate. Believe in yourself.

The tall muscular man aims his scissors at the cloth trying to cut a single ... straight line ... so it can become two pieces of cloth ... that he can use as bandages.

You begin crafting ...

You mangle the cloth beyond all recognition.

You feel murderous rage.

Yeah, the difficulty for basic bandages should go WAY down, and should give you a few scraps of cloth on failure regardless.

Quote from: Delirium on September 08, 2015, 01:48:41 PM
Yeah, the difficulty for basic bandages should go WAY down, and should give you a few scraps of cloth on failure regardless.

I will now idea that in game.

Anyone who's had trouble raising bandaging is probably not playing in the Byn. Unlimited scraps of cloth + easy access to treatable-but-not-threatening injuries = relatively quick level up.

I'm probably showing my newb colors by suggesting this, but if we can't already, it'd be pretty sweet if you could forage scraps of cloth out of city middens.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 08, 2015, 02:02:17 PM
Anyone who's had trouble raising bandaging is probably not playing in the Byn. Unlimited scraps of cloth + easy access to treatable-but-not-threatening injuries = relatively quick level up.

I'm probably showing my newb colors by suggesting this, but if we can't already, it'd be pretty sweet if you could forage scraps of cloth out of city middens.

that's what the rinth is for

When people asked my PC where they learned practices and anatomy like that, they'd get a faraway look and say "Lots of dead and dying bodies going to waste in the rinth. Sometimes, you just got to carefully crack a few open to see what makes them tick, or use their wounds for, experiments, and see what works and what doesn't."

Quote from: musashi on September 08, 2015, 01:46:33 PM
Given the context of this thread ... I'm looking at you ... bandage making ... >_>

You think: Ok ... ok ok  ok  ok ... you can do this. Concentrate. Believe in yourself.

The tall muscular man aims his scissors at the cloth trying to cut a single ... straight line ... so it can become two pieces of cloth ... that he can use as bandages.

You begin crafting ...

You mangle the cloth beyond all recognition.

You feel murderous rage.

I can relate to this. Heh.

"Hi, yes, are you familiar with leatherworking? Yes? Great! Do you mind cutting this piece of leather into smaller strips of leather? Yeah, I just... I just can't figure it out."