Mudsex Hate Cycle Thread

Started by Is Friday, July 19, 2015, 10:12:07 PM

July 19, 2015, 10:12:07 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:31:04 PM by Mordiggian
Mordiggian:
How you doin'?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

emote softly nibbles IsFriday's turgid member.

Quote from: Tetra on July 19, 2015, 10:07:09 PM

Also the idea of fading out = true RP is like the equivalent of saying, why savour your five-star meal?  Just chew and swallow quickly.  Let people enjoy screwing each other.  It isn't real and it's consenting.

I never said that fading = true RP(whatever the hell that means). And I never said people can't enjoy mudsex all they want. Jesus.

Ah yes, back on the mudsex slice of the hate wheel.  I'm also on the 'why do you care' wagon.  I feel like whether I chose to roleplay a relationship or play out the sex scenes is none of anyone else's business.  Relationships and sex are a huge part of the human condition, and they can be a huge part of a character's story.

Just try to picture Game of Thrones without the sex. 

Also the whole less people I have to interact with idea... I don't buy it.  In my experience, people generally drift toward private rooms when there aren't other people around and other things to do.  Anyway, they're logged into the game.  You can contact them.  They're far more interactable than if they just logged out.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Waking up in a public dorm in Tuluk:

https://youtu.be/akxzP8jcmrM
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

I try to avoid mudsex if I'm busy doing stuff, 'cuz I'm busy doing stuff.

Quote from: valeria on July 19, 2015, 10:45:04 PM
Ah yes, back on the mudsex slice of the hate wheel.  I'm also on the 'why do you care' wagon.  I feel like whether I chose to roleplay a relationship or play out the sex scenes is none of anyone else's business.  Relationships and sex are a huge part of the human condition, and they can be a huge part of a character's story.

Also the whole less people I have to interact with idea... I don't buy it.  In my experience, people generally drift toward private rooms when there aren't other people around and other things to do.  Anyway, they're logged into the game.  You can contact them.  They're far more interactable than if they just logged out.

Game of Thrones is really easy to picture without the sex, especially these later seasons.

I think making this discussion about "why do you care" is a bit of a misrepresentation. I don't care if people are mudsexing, I most certainly don't hate mudsex, doubt anyone does. I just don't understand it. And that's where the discussion comes in, making people understand why you like mudsex beyond getting off. If people just said "I mudsex to get off." then that's pretty much where the discussion would end, and I'd say good for you, I think there's better ways to get off, but 'different strokes' so enjoy yourself.

To the last point, in my mind it's simple math. More people in places I don't go doing things I don't do = less people for me to interact with. It's not a big deal though, it likely doesn't effect me at all and certainly isn't the crux of the discussion.

Also I'd like to point out that nobody was meant to take this shit as seriously as me and Tetra took it.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 19, 2015, 11:19:17 PM

Game of Thrones is really easy to picture without the sex, especially these later seasons.

I think making this discussion about "why do you care" is a bit of a misrepresentation. I don't care if people are mudsexing, I most certainly don't hate mudsex, doubt anyone does. I just don't understand it. And that's where the discussion comes in, making people understand why you like mudsex beyond getting off. If people just said "I mudsex to get off." then that's pretty much where the discussion would end, and I'd say good for you, I think there's better ways to get off, but 'different strokes' so enjoy yourself.

To the last point, in my mind it's simple math. More people in places I don't go doing things I don't do = less people for me to interact with. It's not a big deal though, it likely doesn't effect me at all and certainly isn't the crux of the discussion.

Also I'd like to point out that nobody was meant to take this shit as seriously as me and Tetra took it.

If sex isn't important, then Joffrey wouldn't have been born to tyrannize everyone.  Danaerys would never have become Khalisi and been with Khal Drogo.  Which means she wouldn't have eventually conquered Mereen.  etc etc etc.

It's heavily entrenched in the plot.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

And much like in a fade, that can all be represented without showing a dick enter a vagina. And there are FAR more needless sex/nudity scenes in GoT than there are ones that advance the plot.

I like RPing out some of the fooling around but not all of it. Enough to establish tics and quirks in the act, and what may or may not be tendencies of the character. Because those flesh the pc out. Because you may not realize that you bite the corner of your lip/tug at your earring/tend to wag your brows at/(whatever) people you're into, but someone with a vested interest in you would definitely pick up on that. Same with about a thousand other things. If you whisper something tender in the throes, is it in another language/accent? Do you have a particular look you only trot out when you're fooling around/(again, whatever). There's like a million tiny points of things that are roleplay hooks that can be involved in stuff.

It really doesn't do anything for me as a player, sensually or sexually. I've been married over a decade. I just like that it's another avenue that can be used to develop character. But then I've been up to 6 am not sleeping and solo roleplaying playing an instrument in private before. It it what it is. I think the problem is that achiever types and 'social roleplay' types tend to be at odds anyhow, and this is something which is fully social and not remotely achievement related (in a coded way, but absolutely can be achievement related in a social way), and because the people are at odds in a general way, it just becomes more vicious when one brings in specifics.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 19, 2015, 11:27:17 PM
And much like in a fade, that can all be represented without showing a dick enter a vagina. And there are FAR more needless sex/nudity scenes in GoT than there are ones that advance the plot.

Nobody is forcing you to watch the act.  And ICly you wouldn't even be able to (unless high-karma things).  So again, what does it matter to you if people gratuitously explain the smushing of body parts?  Like really, what great inconvenience does this impart?
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Quote from: Tetra on July 19, 2015, 11:33:47 PM

Nobody is forcing you to watch the act.  And ICly you wouldn't even be able to (unless high-karma things).  So again, what does it matter to you if people gratuitously explain the smushing of body parts?  Like really, what great inconvenience does this impart?

You can achieve it with 0 requests or sponsored roles, damn near instantly from character creation and it is its own form of achievement. AKA you don't need to "grind" to -grind- and that is frustrating!  :) <3 I'm with you though, Tetra. You can fade, but if you do, unless there's a shitload of discussion about technique and how special x/y/z is, my pc's gonna be like 'Uh... I guess they were alright in bed' if it ever comes up, and usually be pretty lukewarm about the experience because I lack the details to know how they would've reacted to the minutia of the situation.

tl;dr: Sometimes the impossibly tight cunted f-me is played by a woman. But you can bet the woman's not doing it to get off OOC and there might be a whole lot of stuff (rp related, as a result thereof) coming as a result one day. Also, if you don't get that a 1-2 emote fade can't convey the thousand tiny details that 2 hours of an actual scene might, there's a good chance you're missing a lot of where the player who does get that is coming from.

PS: It's nice once you get to a point that most things can be faded while still knowing all the tiny details of the PC in question. But there's a good chance that it's not the first time. We can gloss it all over with a single emote, but there's a reason why people who like bards enjoy bardic performances more than the single canned output of 'play instrument' - and it's for the roleplay. It's really the same principle with fooling around, and I don't get how others can't get that unless they 1. never fool around,  or 2. fool around only to OOCly get off.  ???
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Why do you keep asking me why it matters.  If I only talked about the things that mattered to me I wouldn't have over 15,000 posts. Also I -just- addressed that idea:

Quote from: bardlyone on July 19, 2015, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: Tetra on July 19, 2015, 11:33:47 PM

PS: It's nice once you get to a point that most things can be faded while still knowing all the tiny details of the PC in question. But there's a good chance that it's not the first time. We can gloss it all over with a single emote, but there's a reason why people who like bards enjoy bardic performances more than the single canned output of 'play instrument' - and it's for the roleplay. It's really the same principle with fooling around, and I don't get how others can't get that unless they 1. never fool around,  or 2. fool around only to OOCly get off.  ???

No doubt there's a lot of things to be learned about your relationship through intimate moments, I just think most of the learning that matters, story and character-wise, stops when the mudsex starts. Flirting, heavy petting/makeout, undressing and intimate conversation... Not really what I include into my definition of mudsex. That's just relationship roleplay. Two partners lazing in bed after they've done the deed is a very popular trope that I think works great for character building and storytelling. And the frantic scenes of two new lovers bumping into things while they strip down and head for the bed, also a common trope that works pretty well for me. I wouldn't consider those as "mudsex scenes" as they can come before and after the fade.

Mudsex to me is the sex scene in a movie or TV show. 99% of the time it's there to attract casual views through erotic content. It's not there for story progression or to delve deeper into a characters psyche. There are, of course, exceptions.  What doesn't work for me in a storytelling sense are sex scenes of two naked bodies thrusting with soft-cuts between positions and showing hands gripping sheets in ecstasy and moaning with close-ups on their somehow still perfect makeup and hairdo.

I find mudsecks to be a lot like reading a good book with a tasteful sex scene in it. The Dresden Files, for instance, wouldn't be nearly as interesting 15 books in if Harry didn't have raunchy baby-making sex in book 3.

That said: Yes, sometimes it feels like people are just doing it because woo, sex. But we're also trying to keep our characters as real people. Real people want to smoosh genitalia against other genitalia. Sometimes, like what Bardlyone said, it brings forth character quirks either player wouldn't have known about previously. Sometimes you catch an STD, sometimes you catch a parasite growing in a womb. Sometimes you fuck your worst enemy to get close to them to stab them through the throat.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

July 20, 2015, 12:15:36 AM #14 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:22:08 AM by Is Friday
For the record: I am mostly joking. I just find The Shaleah Defense (tm) to be funny.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

We have a world in which people are consistently disemboweling others with bone forks, flaying skin, sewing eyes shut, chopping off heads to put on pikes, and dragging miles of entrails around an arena floor while little kids wave plushie severed hands about - yet the description of a rough and tumble is seen as something bad?

Now that's just silly.  ;)

(Be careful, that fella on the other end, emoting the slow, painful removal of your limbs might be getting off on that as well!  :o)

if people just faded to black all the time, I could never pop out of the closet and yell "surprise" mid-thrust. what would I do with my Tuesday nights?

keep on sexin'. if anything, people should be more upset about gratuitous torture scenes than sex scenes (not that I'm upset by either - combine them for me, even).

and yeah, in the middle of an intensely intimate moment that you didn't skip, you might discover something about a character
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 20, 2015, 12:07:10 AM
Why do you keep asking me why it matters.  If I only talked about the things that mattered to me I wouldn't have over 15,000 posts. Also I -just- addressed that idea:

When I say "why do you care" it's more a general sense of, why do other people have to like it/understand it?

Like, how many people understand why you play Armageddon?  If they don't understand you having fun, does that diminish your enjoyment of the game?

If someone wants to get a handjob instead of a blowie do you interject your opinion of what sexual act is better because of a burning need to 'understand'?  

- Rumi

Just your friendly moderator stopping by with a reminder to keep the discussion polite.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

July 20, 2015, 01:03:46 AM #19 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:19:36 AM by KankWhisperer
One score years ago, a great staffer, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, created the consent system. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to thousands of mudsexers who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their persecution. But twenty years later, the mudsexer still is not free. Twenty years later, the life of the mudsexer is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. Twenty years later, the mudsexer lives on a lonely island of scorn in the midst of a vast ocean of social roleplay. Twenty years later, the mudsexer is still languished in the corners of Armageddon society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

We have come to this hallowed board to remind Armageddon of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of mudsex. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of sexy justice. Now is the time to lift our community from the quicksands of mudsex injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of Armageddon's players. It would be fatal for the community to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the mudsexer's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Two-thousand and fifteen is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the mudsexer needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the community returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in Armageddon until the mudsexer is granted his due respect. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our community until the bright day of justice emerges. But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for mudsex by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into twinking. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with mudsex roleplay.

We cannot mudsex alone.

And as we mudsex, we must make the pledge that we shall always mudsex.

We cannot turn back.

There are those who are asking the devotees of mudsex, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the mudsex is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of gdb shaming. We can never be satisfied as long as our characters, heavy with the fatigue of mudsex, cannot gain respect in the minds of our fellow players. I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for mudsex and respect left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of gdb judging. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Allanak, go back to Luir's, go back to Red Storm, go back to the slums and ghettos of our 'rinth, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in Armageddon.

I have a dream that one day on the red sands of Zalanthas, the new characters of former prudes and the new characters of mudsexers will be able to sit down together and mudsex.

I have a dream that one day even the city of Allanak, sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of mudsex.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a community where they will not be judged by their mudsex but by the content of their roleplay.

I have a dream today!

wat

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

This is the classiest thread.