A 'pastsense' skill?

Started by Eyeball, July 04, 2015, 11:15:41 PM

The idea being a skill that lets one dimly sense significant events of the past when standing where they happened.

Or it doesn't have to be a skill.. maybe some tea spiked with a special plant or something could be prepared to give people visions.

Rooms where significant past events occurred could have some historical text attached to them. The text would become visible, in whole or part, when the skill or ritual is used.

You sense trauma.  An insect-like scrab killed a chalton here.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

LOL, Armaddict.

I like the idea.

Significant past events. Not that someone forgot to pack a tent and was pissed about it.

It would require that some historical text be written up in the same way room descs are. Player submissions could work here.

How would you twink up that skill?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

We should call it 'lore'.

And you twink it up by trying to identify items.  "This sword design was made famous by Sujaal."

Half serious.  Because while this is basically lore, this would also be kind of a pain.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Eyeball on July 04, 2015, 11:15:41 PM
The idea being a skill that lets one dimly sense significant events of the past when standing where they happened.

Or it doesn't have to be a skill.. maybe some tea spiked with a special plant or something could be prepared to give people visions.

Rooms where significant past events occurred could have some historical text attached to them. The text would become visible, in whole or part, when the skill or ritual is used.

This is quite frankly the awesomest idea this MUD has seen in a long time.

EDIT:  And the best part is, it unbalances nothing.