Hello

Started by Hound, June 24, 2015, 06:51:40 PM

I am a newly arrived player to MUDing. I have never done it before in my life; I come from a background of Pen & Paper, and visual roleplay mediums such as Lord of the Rings Online. I am pretty open-minded though and want to give this a try and see how the text-based experience differs. I am looking for a deeply immersive experience alongside players who are skilled and talented in the arts of storytelling and drama. I hope I find that here, its nice to meet you all.

(If this is the wrong place for introductions, I'm sorry, feel free to delete the post @ moderators.)

First off, welcome to Armageddon! We're always glad to have fresh meat for the grinder >:)

Secondly, utilize the HELL out of the Helpers in conjunction with the Help files - They will both be invaluable resources!

Thirdly, you will die. Often. And the death is permanent. Starting off, keep in mind that you're here to LEARN the ropes so it'll take some trial and error - Don't feel discouraged! No one starts off "pro" and most of us come from similar backgrounds.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Welcome! Yeah, I still remember the first character I had that actually had a real story to play out... that was fun. There's a lot of stories going on in Armageddon, what you'll see and hear about will depend somewhat on your race and where you live... you might want to go citizen human at first and then go into harder roles later.

I'm familiar with permadeath. Not to worry on that count; I played on NWN servers which utilised such rulesets.

Hello. Introductions are more than fine here, and this is a great place for what you're looking for. I'd say there's no better place for a deeply immersive experience alongside talented role-players, but it's also important to node the coded game functions a lot differently than what you may be used to. How did you find us? Do you know anyone who plays? Having someone to hold your hand through character generation and the quirks of the code will help immensely. If you don't have someone I suggest the Helper Chat, which can be accessed through the main page Armageddon.org on the right-hand side where it says"Get Live Help!"

I'd suggest taking a look at the "Intoduction" section of the main website too, there's a wealth of great information there that will help you get started.

Welcome to Armageddon! Always good to see new faces. Dibs on your boots.

Hey there man!

I have really limited experience with the area you are familiar with, but i've been around here for a long time.

1.) I think the best thing you can do as a new player, is spend some time reading the documentation to get at least a basic feel for the gameworld... Learn the city or place you will play in, what the culture is like there, what races play there, what the lifestyle is like there, how will you survive, where did your character and their family come from...

2.) Join a clan. It doesn't matter what clan. Find one you like within the city or wherever you may be. You will immediately be given some sort of storyline to work with in most cases and immediately put into contact with people who can guide and teach you the game.

3.) The screen is going to move pretty fast during combat, or in crowded rooms. You'll get the hang of it. This game is enormously difficult sometimes in the early days of learning the mechanics and gameworld.

Welcome to armageddon!

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 24, 2015, 07:02:09 PM
Hello. Introductions are more than fine here, and this is a great place for what you're looking for. I'd say there's no better place for a deeply immersive experience alongside talented role-players, but it's also important to node the coded game functions a lot differently than what you may be used to. How did you find us? Do you know anyone who plays? Having someone to hold your hand through character generation and the quirks of the code will help immensely. If you don't have someone I suggest the Helper Chat, which can be accessed through the main page Armageddon.org on the right-hand side where it says"Get Live Help!"

I'd suggest taking a look at the "Intoduction" section of the main website too, there's a wealth of great information there that will help you get started.

No, I don't know anybody who plays here. I was looking at the top MUD pages and saw Aardwolf, which didn't take my fancy, and Armageddon was next on the list. The abstract of the intro page caught my attention, and I approve of filtering out new blood with the application process.

Also, pro-newbie help tip - If you have a character in game, utilize the 'Stat', 'Score', and 'Skills' commands. If you want to know more about something, simply type 'Help <subject>' in-game. For new players looking to learn their character's abilities, typing 'Help <skill_name>' will be invaluable to figuring out just exactly what you're capable of!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Welcome!  Congratulations, you have found a deeply immersive roleplaying experience  ;D

Don't be afraid to take it slow and ask questions as you're trying to get into the game.  The helper chat (the button on the bottom right of the front page that says GET LIVE HELP) is a really valuable resource.  We'll be happy to answer any questions you have as you go along.

Welcome welcome!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2015, 07:02:02 PM
I'm familiar with permadeath. Not to worry on that count; I played on NWN servers which utilised such rulesets.

This is good, but it's also important to note We're not just permadeath, we're incredibly dangerous setting that's also permadeath. It's generally expected for new players to die fairly quick on their first couple characters. But that can be largely avoided by joining a clan and following the rules of that clan, treating your first PC like a cautious, living/breathing character, and following a veteran players lead in-game(usually pretty obvious by the way they play and are willing to help noobs).

All that said, don't be afraid to throw caution to the wind to explore the game deeper, just be aware it will likely be fatal.

Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2015, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 24, 2015, 07:02:09 PM

No, I don't know anybody who plays here. I was looking at the top MUD pages and saw Aardwolf, which didn't take my fancy, and Armageddon was next on the list. The abstract of the intro page caught my attention, and I approve of filtering out new blood with the application process.

Awesome, definitely try the helper chat out then, and these forums too, of course, are good for questions. Good luck.

Okay, thank you for the heads up and the warm welcome.

Helper chat is your new best friend.
I think I've been there like 800 times.

When I started playing, I read the basic docs on racial roleplay and a little bit about the setting, then said, fuck all this reading, slapped together a PC with an amnesiac background, and went nuts immersing myself. It's important to note I'd not really roleplayed before coming to Armageddon, though I'd been told I had a knack for it from a few of my experiments earlier in life. It was a blast, filled with newbish stupidity that entertained me as well as other players. I continued reading documents and helpfiles as I went along, playing mostly breeds because it came naturally, before delving into elven roleplay, which was even more enjoyable and challenging. One thing I regret is playing a half-giant, and I don't think I'll ever do that again.

Welcome to Armageddon. Keep in mind, if someone kills your character, don't take it personally. In all likelihood they were playing their character to the hilt and a series of events brought about those circumstances. If you can't keep IC and OOC seperate enough to avoid allowing the issue to affect your next character, I've found a break from the game, or maybe the last area you played in, can be beneficial in cooling off. Usually when you've gotten into that sort of conflict with another character, there's a lot of things you've missed about the other character, and maybe your next character ends up friends with your previous character's enemies, and you see a whole other side to the story, and come to understand why it went down like it did. I find the game very good practice for shifting my perspective and analyzing things from multiple angles, instead of just one. Hope you enjoy it.

Hello and welcome!  Last but not least, if you have some sort of trouble while in game and you can't find a help file to explain something, check out this help file:  http://armageddon.org/help/view/Wish

We staff are always up for helping new players as we can, but we do ask that the command be used sparingly and only if you cannot find the information elsewhere.  In most cases the information is out there in the help files.  Using the website to search the help files is a lot better than doing it in game.

Welcome to Arm!  You're brainz look tastey!
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Check the link in my signature for another version of a introductory walkthrough!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Assess -v boots

(WELCOME TO THE GAME!!!!)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I've played D&D for 7 years, I have never found a D&D player who equals the best role players we have here. This is because D&D and online RPGs have certain tropes and story elements all PCs have to conform to (the party must somewhat get along regardless or background or personality. The players will face bad guys, engage in combat at least somewhat regularly and will typically seek out and gain magical items of at least some kind, they will be involved in adventures and are expected to bend their character when required in order to participate). In Armageddn you are expected (and to a degree required) to play your character first and the game second. You are not expected or required to create a combat character, nor are you expected or required to create a character that gets along with all other PCs, nor are you expected or required to go along with some staff-created plotline instead of pursuing your own character's personal story.

Armageddon is a very different experience to an MMORPG or a D&D tabletop game. For that reason you may not enjoy it. But it can be a very fulfilling and rewarding game.