Names!

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, June 23, 2015, 07:31:35 PM

Quote from: amyandthepup on July 09, 2016, 05:57:06 PM
I'm way too new to Arm to feel comfortable sharing what I did while naming my character, but over the years, on other games, I've often looked at baby name sites, picked various regions, and then written down the names I liked. Once, I sat down and wrote a list of made-up names, tweaked the letters, rearranged things.

Mostly, when I look at name websites, I pull from a specific linguistic background--Greek, Norse, Hebrew, Arabic, Gaelic, Egyptian, to list a few.

That's what I do too.  Usually some play on Celtic because I like it.

January 17, 2017, 12:50:43 AM #101 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:34 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I think I've posted here before, but I don't feel like looking for it. Usually my names come from random stuff I have on my desk or in my office. Sometimes just from my imagination alone. Once in awhile it'll be an acronym of a word or someone else's name.

There's a lot you can do with word lists from your own desk, like:

air in a can
cheese nips
desk fan
beewax candle
skull candy headset

Just move the letters around til you get something that sounds like it'd make a cool name.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

All my names rhyme with "Conan". Because he's the ultimate desert badass.

Childish Gambino came from Wu Tang Clan's name generator.

I'm just saying, it CLEARLY works ;)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 17, 2017, 07:15:14 AM
I think I've posted here before, but I don't feel like looking for it. Usually my names come from random stuff I have on my desk or in my office. Sometimes just from my imagination alone. Once in awhile it'll be an acronym of a word or someone else's name.

air in a can
cheese nips
desk fan
beewax candle
skull candy headset

Just move the letters around til you get something that sounds like it'd make a cool name.

Arcan Chesnips, Deskfin Becandle, and Skandy Sethed.

Hrm, you might be on to something.

Lately I just mash letters together and say fuck it.

My foolproof name generation strategy when I'm really stuck is to find a random sentence and take the first syllable or few letters from the beginning (or end) of some of the words. Then I string them together and tweak it until it looks/sounds like I think it should and call it a day.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 20, 2017, 08:48:40 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on January 17, 2017, 07:15:14 AM

air in a can
cheese nips
desk fan
beewax candle
skull candy headset

Arcan Chesnips, Deskfin Becandle, and Skandy Sethed.

Hrm, you might be on to something.

Lately I just mash letters together and say fuck it.

I go by brand names. The air in a can is made by "Perfectdata." So a name for my character might be Peferda. Cheese Nips are made by Nabisco. Lots you can do with that: Bisco. Nabi. Scona. Sibna..
Desk fan is an O2Cool. But if I don't wear my glasses it looks like it says OZCOOL. Coza, Lozca. Colza, etc. etc.
Beeswax Candle isn't branded, so I'd make up something with just the thing that it is. Candlee, Sebwel, Nedwalba.
SkullCandy headset - Dyska, Landy, Kul (woah - makes ya wonder right?)..
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

My sprinkler system was from the brand 'Rainbird'

So I named my 40th something char 'Rainbird'.

I died to a half-giant named 'The pepsi challenge'.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

One of my friends from my Ancient Anguish days had a character named "Morex" because at the time, he was looking around the room and found some Memorex pens.

Names certainly aren't hard. Being interesting and important enough for people to REMEMBER your name?

... I'll get back to you.

I typically just roll my forehead across the keyboard, and then pick letters out of the series until a name appears.

That, or I look in the mirror to see which keys left a mark on my forehead..
How about a scavenger hunt?

Your application for character named "Nyarlathothep" has been denied.

Your application for character named "Shub-Niggarath" has been denied.

Your application for character named "Cthulhu" has been denied.

Damn it. Why is this so hard?

Quote from: Riev on January 22, 2017, 06:36:23 PM
One of my friends from my Ancient Anguish days had a character named "Morex" because at the time, he was looking around the room and found some Memorex pens.

Names certainly aren't hard. Being interesting and important enough for people to REMEMBER your name?

Whoa, you played Ancient Anguish? Who were you ?

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

For the last 18 months I've been using names that sound like a good warrior's name in Claymore. I'm saying this because I'm running out of things to make up.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Bogre on January 24, 2017, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: Riev on January 22, 2017, 06:36:23 PM

Whoa, you played Ancient Anguish? Who were you ?

Legit NOBODY, but I had a rogue and a shapeshifter back in 'the day'. My next door neighbor, actually, was some three letter name that had like top 5 highest combat skills in the came, but I don't remember who he was. This was like... almost 20 years ago now.

I could still go to the Weapons Trainer, with a two handed sword, and go kill that thing in that quest just for the initial skill bump. Or grab that axe out of that dream world. But by far, the coolest was broiling someone's head with spellaimed magic missiles.

Unfortunately, most of their names don't fit here. "PowerTower" the rock shapeshifter calling himself the "Tower of Power" just doesn't work... unless.. Rukkian...

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Not sure if this was posted before but...
http://www.twinmooncircus.net/n_official.htm

So many names!

I usually start with the last 5 letters in the alphabet, and make a name from there. I'd had both z and x characters, v as well. Something about the other 21 letters I'm not a fan of.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I almost always try to come up with a bastardized synonym for WHAT the character is.

The girl with the big boobs - Setta
The bookish (erudite) boy - Ehrude
The got-hit-in-the-head-with-a-tree woodsman - Hew
The half-giant with multi-coloured tattoos as cammo - Daub

Got a million of 'em.

I've been using words from the ethnic groups I come from. Yes, white is in there. I think I'm third generation American on my furthest back side so I actually know which ones I come from.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I'm notorious for using short four letter names.. eg:

Flay
Thea
Rold
Hefe
Tigs
Soup <--- (yes I had a character named soup)
Kave
Mika

Just to name a few lol
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on December 23, 2018, 03:31:46 PM
I'm notorious for using short four letter names.. eg:

Flay
Thea
Rold
Hefe
Tigs
Soup <--- (yes I had a character named soup)
Kave
Mika

Just to name a few lol
Me too, but not listing my characters names.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Culinary Critic on December 15, 2018, 09:22:52 PM
I almost always try to come up with a bastardized synonym for WHAT the character is.

The girl with the big boobs - Setta
The bookish (erudite) boy - Ehrude
The got-hit-in-the-head-with-a-tree woodsman - Hew
The half-giant with multi-coloured tattoos as cammo - Daub

Got a million of 'em.

Hew was bae. <3

Google Translate is my new best friend for names.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

We should start naming ourselves after food, like that one series.

I will list the vegetables their names are based off of and you tell me which anime series it is.

vegetable, cabbage, radish, carrot, nappa, burdock, broccoli

Eh, since I think no one's going to figure it out, I'm going to post them.

Vegeta, Cabbe, Raditz, Kakarrot, Nappa, Bardock, Broly

I would have figured it out but I'm a dork like that..

Krathis named Vegeta..
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."