> get coins pouch

Started by Synthesis, June 23, 2015, 07:17:47 PM

Currently:

> get coins pouch

A leather pouch is closed.

> open pouch

You open a leather pouch.

> get coins pouch

You get a pile of coins from a leather pouch.

Better:

> get coins pouch

A leather pouch is closed, so you open it.

It could be toggled if you really want to open everything manually.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

+1
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If it was an option sure.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 23, 2015, 07:17:47 PM
> get coins pouch

It would be neat, but it's also something that you can setup an alias for in any MUD client.

Quote from: John on June 24, 2015, 01:57:07 AM
> get coins pouch

It would be neat, but it's also something that you can setup an alias for in any MUD client.

The "alias get coins > open pouch;get coins pouch;close pouch" used to make me buttfrustrated on pickpocket PCs.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on June 24, 2015, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: John on June 24, 2015, 01:57:07 AM
> get coins pouch

But now your pickpocket can open the pouch themselves. :D

The "alias get coins > open pouch;get coins pouch;close pouch" used to make me buttfrustrated on pickpocket PCs.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Then latch and unlatch was added...

Quote from: Saellyn on July 15, 2015, 12:49:29 AM

Then pickpockets abused the -shit- out of it, and everyone figured out how to get around that, too.

... Everyone???

Saellyn, forever alone...

Quote from: Synthesis on July 15, 2015, 12:51:57 AM
Quote from: Saellyn on July 15, 2015, 12:49:29 AM

Then pickpockets abused the -shit- out of it, and everyone figured out how to get around that, too.

I didn't know you could get around it. And now that I know you can, I still don't know how. Thankfully.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Did pickpockets actually "abuse the shit" out of their ability to...pickpocket???  I'm lost here.

Quote from: wizturbo on July 15, 2015, 04:44:55 PM
Did pickpockets actually "abuse the shit" out of their ability to...pickpocket???  I'm lost here.

When every item in your inventory disappears within 30 minutes?

Twice in two weeks?

Yes.

I support pickpockets.  I often leave coins in my inventory, etc. etc.  But...listen...I'm not going to leave myself open to having to buy a new mount, replace all my cures and all my useful miscellaneous shit on a weekly basis.

#sorrynotsorry

Steal is a class feature for pickpockets.

Don't cry abuse because your spamhunted treasures are stolen.

Quote from: Inks on July 15, 2015, 07:01:10 PM
Steal is a class feature for pickpockets.

Don't cry abuse because your spamhunted treasures are stolen.

The first time it happened, I intentionally left 500 'sid in my inventory for pickpockets.  They took 499 'sid, then proceeded to rape my inventory as well.

I'm crying abuse because I've done the same thing before, and Staff told me in no uncertain terms to knock it the fuck off.

But...I'm not going to be the canary in the coal mine for every twink pickpocket that rolls through town, so I'm going to put the shit that I can't live without on lockdown.  If you want to take -all- my shit, that's what the 'sap' class feature is for, bro.

July 15, 2015, 07:33:18 PM #15 Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:45:25 PM by Inks
More like throw dagger west in your case.

PP can't fight much. They can't survive well outdoors either.

They can roll your stuff. I don't play them myself but when I have had both mount tickets stolen on a ranger *shrug*

PP needs to be realistic. If they are not, it is abuse. Until code goes to police them, they should police themselves or be cled roleplayers.

Nobody should be able to lift your sword and you not notice it moments later. That's a lot of weight. So what you need is a delayed echo, "your belongings feel lighter". A pickpocket should also have to hide again after any pickpocket attempt or success.

This would probably make it all work more realistic.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 15, 2015, 08:36:48 PM
Nobody should be able to lift your sword and you not notice it moments later. That's a lot of weight.

Not that I don't hate pickpockets at the moment, but there is an upper weight limit on the size of item a pickpocket can steal.  Whether that variable should be adjusted down is another question, but are you sure you'd always notice?  While seated?  While hoisting that heavy pack up onto your shoulders?  While squeezing through a tight intersection or tavern?

Nobody ever emotes to describe the moments they're ripe for being pickpocketed (I sure don't).  Many speedwalk from point A to point B (you'd blush if you saw my speedwalking macros), and keep their backpack glued to their person at all times (also guilty).  There is also no code to yank and run.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 15, 2015, 08:36:48 PM
So what you need is a delayed echo, "your belongings feel lighter". A pickpocket should also have to hide again after any pickpocket attempt or success.

This is an interesting idea.  In some sense, it's already implemented:  put your encumbrance in your prompt, turn on brief prompt, and carry a weapon heavy enough to nudge your encumbrance up one notch.  Your prompt will flash your new encumbrance level if your sword gets stolen.  This approach could be made more powerful if there were more encumbrance categories (extremely light, very light, light, ... easily manageable, manageable, heavy but manageable, very heavy but manageable, ...).

In an ideal world, I wouldn't mind pickpockets being able to partially succeed, in that you get a glimpse of some piece of equipment the wearer has on (typically the cloak, but perhaps other random details like wristwear, pants, boots) but they remain hidden.

I agree that repetitious pickpocketing should be discouraged.  Either by unhiding the pickpocket or increasing his chance of failure with subsequent attempts.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Well, alright. But I think I'd notice ten pounds or twenty pounds missing from my load pretty quick. Particularly from my inventory, which are supposed to be things you have at hand or in hand. While seated, perhaps you don't notice your ankle sheath gone, since we're talking about 3-5 st ... wait, no, yes, I'd most likely notice; if not instantly, very shortly. The pressure of that strap is suddenly no longer there. Now you might not notice things in your pant or shirt pocket missing until you went to look for them. Light items from your backpack, no, you wouldn't notice. But a -sword-, either strapped to your back or slung in a loop at your waist and resting against your hip? Yeh, you'd notice that quickly, if not always instantly.

Perhaps stance modifiers should be implemented, such as a check for whether you are walking or not. In fact, that's fairly easy to do, with a simple timer. The timer would check to see how long you have been in the room, and if you haven't been in the room long enough, you're moving, which makes a steal attempt harder, but also makes the amount or weight you can gaffle easier. Neatly enough, this same timer could set your ldesc, so if I walk into a room you just entered, I don't see "the tall man stands here". I see, "The tall man walks along here." When the timer expires, you could see "The tall man stops walking/running/sneaking." But ... that's another topic.

I like the idea of the partial successes. While I do want to make sure that PP are limited in how much and what they can take without ever being caught, I would not want to see PP automatically get outted. That's one thing that scares me about changing some things. It's hard enough to be a newbie petty criminal who targets PCs as it is without being caught, so it's said.

I'd hate to make crime even harder.

I appreciate the bumps my idea is getting from the derail, but it had absolutely nothing to do with pickpockets.

Oh, shut the hell up.  ;D

Alright. I like the original idea too.

July 16, 2015, 06:17:40 PM #21 Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:33:31 PM by Inks
I don't mind the delayed echo idea at all. I like it.